Market Research - Fax Machine Users.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
Hi guys,

Just a quick question.

Do you use a fax machine and if so, why do you use one instead of other communications such as email?

Would you replace your fax machine when it dies?

Thanks.
TheRaven
Our school has a fax machine, as do the vast majority of schools I know. And yet no-one ever receives or sends faxes, as we are far too busy learning how to use our new Betamax machine and the wax cylinders.
ctfc-fan
Thanks for the reply. Appreciated.
TheRaven
Although in all seriousness, literally every primary school I know does have a fax machine which the admin staff occasionally use to send things back to the Local Authority. Also they receive an unerring number of special offers on ex-hire cars, bizarrely.
ctfc-fan
Cheers. Those offers are bloody annoying!
asl
Some organisations prefer to see 'real' signatures on certain documents. Beyond that, I can't say I've seen any use of them for a long while. Oh...I guess they're useful for sending multi-page docs when you only have hard copies - after all, a single-page PDF could easily be half a meg in size. Ask a few law firms how much they use theirs - I bet they'll skew your results...
Red Duke
I have run my own business for the last three and half years and in that time, I have sent about four (to a transport company) and received one. I tell customers that I can't receive faxes and could they scan it and send it by e-mail. Only one company said that they couldn't do it. They are based in Northern Scotland (north of Inverness) and so I had to dig out my old machine and then rig it up to a telephone line to receive it.
ctfc-fan
Cheers
Ralph
I use all in one scan, print copy and fax..
Shade
We use fax at my place as we have paper forms that need sending out sometimes and it's quicker than scanning and then emailing. Also, as said, sometimes a real signature is needed to be sent.

There's also one place who try to email us every now and then but for some reason we never receive them, so they end up faxing us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I have used them most to instructions for the same day sale of investment products when the fund company only takes instruction by phone, letter or fax.

Plus i genuinely like the sensation of sending a fax. Seems more professional and official than an email.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Seems more professional and official than an email.
And safer if email isn't encrypted.
ctfc-fan
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Seems more professional and official than an email.
And safer if email isn't encrypted.
How hard do you think it is to tap a line Mal??

Thanks all for the replies so far