Solar panels in Glos.

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
http://www.planningresource.co.uk/news/ ... olar-farm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
good news , and about time. I often wonder why it is that the government slashed the feed in tariff rate a few years back, I would have thought they should be encouraging people to have solar panels installed. I got in just in time..... and before anyone says - no - I dont run my Christmas Lights from them !!

thought - when they build the new stand at WR who dont they put solar panels on the roof? Generate enough electric to help pay the bills...
ctfc-fan
Nesty wrote:thought - when they build the new stand at WR who dont they put solar panels on the roof? Generate enough electric to help pay the bills...
Trouble is the upfront cost compared to how often the electricity generated would be used.

For a retired couple for example, the electricity generated in the day would be used up whereas for a professional working couple the electricity would go straight to the grid (unless they keep it a use it for an immersion).

They would not be generating on winters afternoons or evening matches and do we have a stand that is close to due south with a decent pitch of the roof? The away end would be the closest at a guess.

I think the tariff is lower for commercial too.
taxidave
ctfc-fan wrote: (unless they keep it a use it for an immersion).
Surely anyone who is thinking of cutting their fuel bills wouldn't be using an immersion anyway. :!:
Andy
taxidave wrote:
Surely anyone who is thinking of cutting their fuel bills wouldn't be using an immersion anyway. :!:
Nothing wrong with using the lit firewood under the cast iron bath still. is there Dave :)
ctfc-fan
taxidave wrote:
An immersion doesn't have to be the only way to heat a tank of water. Modern cylinders have multiple taps to take multiple heat sources such as gas boiler, immersion, solar PV or air/ground source. An immersion is often used as a backup but with solar PV you an feed any unused electricity to the immersion and keep your water hot for free rather then feed it back to the grid. You also still get paid as if you were feeding it back though so you win all ways.

Stick to being a retired taxi driver and not a plumber if I was you...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
taxidave wrote:
An immersion doesn't have to be the only way to heat a tank of water. Modern cylinders have multiple taps to take multiple heat sources such as gas boiler, immersion, solar PV or air/ground source. An immersion is often used as a backup but with solar PV you an feed any unused electricity to the immersion and keep your water hot for free rather then feed it back to the grid. You also still get paid as if you were feeding it back though so you win all ways.

Stick to being a retired taxi driver and not a plumber if I was you...
Thermodynamic Panels providing 55 degrees celcius water 365 days a year is the way to go.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Thermodynamic Panels providing 55 degrees celcius water 365 days a year is the way to go.
If you believe the claims... And MCS won't certify it yet so no FiT payments. And not really designed for the UK.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
If you believe the claims... And MCS won't certify it yet so no FiT payments. And not really designed for the UK.
Who needs FIT when you have free hot water
ctfc-fan
ctfc-fan wrote:
Who needs FIT when you have free hot water
There's only so much free hot water you can use
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
Underfloor heating.
ctfc-fan
ctfc-fan wrote:
Underfloor heating.
Granted. So long as its not electric.
C.V
ctfc-fan wrote:
Underfloor heating.

How much would that cost to install?
ctfc-fan
C.V wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:
Underfloor heating.

Not a massive amount but the whole project would mount up quickly. Relaying the floor with with the piping screeded in, the new panels (maybe £5-6k) then the cylinder. Prob talking 10k so not worth doing unless you're doing it anyway.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
C.V wrote:

Underfloor heating.

Not a massive amount but the whole project would mount up quickly. Relaying the floor with with the piping screeded in, the new panels (maybe £5-6k) then the cylinder. Prob talking 10k so not worth doing unless you're doing it anyway.
I got bare boards currently which are quite loose and easy to lift and a nice nig cavity underneath - the old back boiler pipes and pump were under there for example - got a new combi recently and new valves on the 1960s radiators but underfloor is the long-term plan and should be easy enough.
ctfc-fan
ctfc-fan wrote:
C.V wrote:
I got bare boards currently which are quite loose and easy to lift and a nice nig cavity underneath - the old back boiler pipes and pump were under there for example - got a new combi recently and new valves on the 1960s radiators but underfloor is the long-term plan and should be easy enough.
You'd probably have to insulate the floor cavity else the heat will be heating a lot of space. Underfloor works at low temperatures for longer time so the whole area it's heating needs to be energy efficient.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
cheers for the tip.
taxidave
Surely you would waste a lot of heat through the air bricks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:Surely you would waste a lot of heat through the air bricks.
Hmm yes, though due to the heat would be 20 C or so less than what the radiator water is heated to then the boiler could be turn down to a much more efficient setting, so overall the cost would probably still be a little less, with the bonus of a much nicer and healthier heat. Plus as discussed above, if we get thermodynamic panels then the hot water won't cost much!
LloydTurner
Hmm yes, though due to the heat would be 20 C or so less than what the radiator water is heated to then the boiler could be turn down to a much more efficient setting, so overall the cost would probably still be a little less, with the bonus of a much nicer and healthier heat. Plus as discussed above, if we get thermodynamic panels then the hot water won't cost much!
Yes it seems like nice and effective way to generate heat..I would love to apply thermodynamics panels and hope for some good outcomes
LloydTurner
LloydTurner wrote:
Hmm yes, though due to the heat would be 20 C or so less than what the solar panels water is heated to then the boiler could be turn down to a much more efficient setting, so overall the cost would probably still be a little less, with the bonus of a much nicer and healthier heat. Plus as discussed above, if we get thermodynamic panels then the hot water won't cost much!
Yes it seems like nice and effective way to generate heat..I would love to apply thermodynamics panels and hope for some good outcomes
Educated Bertie