11% pay increase

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not for nurses, teachers or the working man, but our rich politicians.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... rease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ctfc-fan
Can't wait for them to turn at my door asking for my vote. Disgusting.
Malabus
ctfc-fan wrote:Can't wait for them to turn at my door asking for my vote. Disgusting.
And I can't wait for them to ask "Why are you not voting Conservatives/Liberals"
Andy
Am I the only one that thinks 11% is quite low or have I just been lucky with my payrises?
asl
It's a big rise - HOWEVER: compared with a senior management position in any decent industry, MPs are very much underpaid. There's not a management position in the land with that level of responsibility that pays so little. Sorry, maybe that's a minority view compared with the average Mail/Sun/Mirror/Express reader - but I think you'll find it's the truth.
Red Duke
To me, an MP is a vocational job and should not be compared with a senior management in a decent industry. If it were, there only source of income, you could say it was justified but in the most it is not.

I have always thought that those at the top echelons of companies, are way overpaid. I believe there should be a simple ratio of earnings of between those at the top to those at the bottom and the smaller the ratio the better.
CS85
I'd love an 11% pay rise. I haven't had one for three years.
asl
CS85 wrote:I'd love an 11% pay rise. I haven't had one for three years.
You did particularly well to get an 11% rise three years ago, in the depths of the recession and all that.
CS85
I knew a smarty pants would pick up on what I said. In fact it was a 1% increase I had three years ago.could be worse could be jobless.
Andy
CS85 wrote:I knew a smarty pants would pick up on what I said. In fact it was a 1% increase I had three years ago.could be worse could be jobless.
sometimes it takes an event like losing your job though to finally move on to something else better. Over the last 4 years I have been extremely fortunate and seen my pay increase by 65%. Prior to that I hadnt had a payrise for 3 years - I was made redundant 18 months ago and walked into a job that paid me 35% more than what I was on previously.
asl
Similar story to me. ;-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Depends on the job. I know a few people in high skilled technical jobs who having been made redundant are now doing much better in the same or similar industries.

But if you work in Tesco and are replaced by a self-checkout machine or are laid off from a council office after years of hole punching I can imagine it's more difficult.
asl
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:But if you work in Tesco and are replaced by a self-checkout machine or are laid off from a council office after years of hole punching I can imagine it's more difficult.
I agree. However, I'd like to think that, if that was my position, I'd have spent some time training-up in some alternative sought-after skills just in case my preferred hole-punching career fell victim to out-sourcing - rather than waiting til it happened and then writing to The Mail moaning about those Romanians taking all the hole-punching jobs.

I'm NOT intending to belittle anyone who finds themselves struggling in this way - but I do believe that people have to take a certain amount of responsibility for their own circumstances. That's not directed at anyone here, but I've an ex-school friend on Facebook who does nothing but moan in his status updates about pretty much everything while saying there are no jobs. I know for a fact that he was sacked from both his last two jobs ("for no reason", apparently) and he's also made it very clear that he is limiting his search to a specific job, and he clearly cannot possibly do anything else. Apparently, his lack of opportunities is everyone else's fault but his own. Apologies in advance to anyone this offends - I know everyone's different and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Andy
I agree with asl.

Whilst I sympathise with those that have lost their job and despite putting in every effort possible still cannot get employment, there are a number of people out there that deliberately narrow their focus of what they are willing to apply for (if they even bother), just so that they can then moan that 150 other people went for it and its everyone elses fault they are not in employment.

I myself had to take a slight deviation from what I was doing before but have learnt more and applied the skills I had previously in a different way to get where I am now.
Ralph
asl wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:But if you work in Tesco and are replaced by a self-checkout machine or are laid off from a council office after years of hole punching I can imagine it's more difficult.
I agree. However, I'd like to think that, if that was my position, I'd have spent some time training-up in some alternative sought-after skills just in case my preferred hole-punching career fell victim to out-sourcing - rather than waiting til it happened and then writing to The Mail moaning about those Romanians taking all the hole-punching jobs.

I'm NOT intending to belittle anyone who finds themselves struggling in this way - but I do believe that people have to take a certain amount of responsibility for their own circumstances. That's not directed at anyone here, but I've an ex-school friend on Facebook who does nothing but moan in his status updates about pretty much everything while saying there are no jobs. I know for a fact that he was sacked from both his last two jobs ("for no reason", apparently) and he's also made it very clear that he is limiting his search to a specific job, and he clearly cannot possibly do anything else. Apparently, his lack of opportunities is everyone else's fault but his own. Apologies in advance to anyone this offends - I know everyone's different and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
You can't wait for an opportunity.. you got to create it yourself