Players linked to CTFC thread

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote:Anyone heard Chris Lines name mentioned.
I did on this forum at 10:37am on 25th May.
RCS can I suggest you update your profile as it is now BST, even in the remote parts of the country like Newcastle. :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote:Anyone heard Chris Lines name mentioned.
I did on this forum at 10:37am on 25th May.
RCS can I suggest you update your profile as it is now BST, even in the remote parts of the country like Newcastle. :lol:
I wasn't aware you could update - always found it odd how when not logged in the times were an hour ahead of when I was logged in. Knew it was due to to BST but just assumed it was a flaw with the website rather than something I could change so thanks for the tip
Peter Griffin
Chris Lines is out of contract at Vale but I'd imagine if he leaves it'd be because he wants to play at a higher level/bigger club rather than them wanting rid of him. He'll go up rather than down. And if he did go down it would be to a bigger club than us.
Robin
Never really rated Lines when I saw him, no better than a lower league journeyman.
cliffy90
An account on Twitter is linking us with Bristol Rovers goalkeeper Steve Mildenhall: https://twitter.com/L2Transfers/status/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by cliffy90 on 04 Jun 2014, 15:41, edited 2 times in total.
Robin
I would take Mildenhall as number one (not sure he would want to come though).

Likewise I've been hearing stuff linking us with Ashley Grimes again.
CheltRobin
Grimes seems to have his Sat Nav permanently set "Up North" these days, so I'd be surprised - Scored precisely 0 goals in 18 for matches for Bury last season, so that worked out for him well after his U-turn on the motorway down to us last summer.
PilgrimInPeace
Heard you're interested in Luke Young who was released by us, good player kind of similar to Luke Summerfield and our fans were really not happy when he was released.
Robin
Which position does he play Pilgrim?
PilgrimInPeace
CM is his preferred position, but played RM in our first season in League 2 and won young player of the season,
Robin
Interesting, we are after a central midfielder but I assume we are looking for defensive one, does he fit the bill?
PilgrimInPeace
He can play as a defensive midfielder, had been for us quiet a bit to allow Hourihane to get forward more, his range of passing is excellent for League 2 and he can take a decent freekick too
Joey
Any idea why he was released?
PilgrimInPeace
Sheridan said he wanted a tighter squad with more high quality players, we already had Hourihane in CM and we'd agreed for Lee Cox to join us, Blizzard had another year left on his contract and we've got youth players to fill in if needed on top of that, it was going to come down to Blizzard or Young, and as Blizzard still had another year left, Young was released, but i think ask 90% of our fans they'd have preferred Blizzard to go.
Joey
Interesting.

Are you aware of any clubs who are interested?
Robin
Interesting contrast Pilgrim, last season we went for a smaller squad on high wages and were outbidding much bigger clubs. This summer we seem to be signing cheaper players for a larger squad in the belief that it will be a happier dressing room.
Joey
Robin wrote:Interesting contrast Pilgrim, last season we went for a smaller squad on high wages and were outbidding much bigger clubs. This summer we seem to be signing cheaper players for a larger squad in the belief that it will be a happier dressing room.
A bit more to it than that Robin, I thought you'd be wiser to know that.
PilgrimInPeace
Joey, i've heard Torquay are interested but don't hold out much hope of signing him as they expect him to stay in the football league
Robin
Oh dear so we've gone from signings the likes of Gornell, McGlashan, Butland, Garbutt, Pack, Cureton, Richards to signing players not wanted by Plymouth that conference clubs are also chasing, it's like suddenly going from shopping at Waitrose to Aldi and Lidl.
Si Robin
Are you a broken record, or are you trying to see how many times this summer you can get that phrase onto the forum?
Joey
PilgrimInPeace wrote:Joey, i've heard Torquay are interested but don't hold out much hope of signing him as they expect him to stay in the football league
That's alright then, thanks for info. Best of luck next season.
Robin wrote:Oh dear so we've gone from signings the likes of Gornell, McGlashan, Butland, Garbutt, Pack, Cureton, Richards to signing players not wanted by Plymouth that conference clubs are also chasing, it's like suddenly going from shopping at Waitrose to Aldi and Lidl.
Summerfield, Jombati, Mohammed, Lowe, Penn, Thomas, Duffy and Harrison were hardly glamorous signings. I'd quite happily have Mohammed over McGlashan, Thomas over Gornell or Penn over Richards. No player should be fully judged on who he has played for or what he has achieved but his ability and attitude on the pitch.

To compare signing footballers to buying packaged food is a bit daft too.
Robin
Summerfield, Duffy, Penn all arrived here with big reputations, Harrison was Wimbledon's record signing, Penn was player of the season at Burton having arrived for a club record fee. Even Jombati and Thomas cost fees - quite a bit different from our current focus!
CheltRobin
All I hope for is that the players we do sign actually WANT to play for the club - makes a difference even before we start playing anybody.
Nesty
Joey wrote:
PilgrimInPeace wrote:Joey, i've heard Torquay are interested but don't hold out much hope of signing him as they expect him to stay in the football league
That's alright then, thanks for info. Best of luck next season.
Robin wrote:Oh dear so we've gone from signings the likes of Gornell, McGlashan, Butland, Garbutt, Pack, Cureton, Richards to signing players not wanted by Plymouth that conference clubs are also chasing, it's like suddenly going from shopping at Waitrose to Aldi and Lidl.
Summerfield, Jombati, Mohammed, Lowe, Penn, Thomas, Duffy and Harrison were hardly glamorous signings. I'd quite happily have Mohammed over McGlashan, Thomas over Gornell or Penn over Richards. No player should be fully judged on who he has played for or what he has achieved but his ability and attitude on the pitch.

To compare signing footballers to buying packaged food is a bit daft too.
and I bet Man Utd fans hadnt heard of David Beckham when they signed him...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we sign an unknown player then I look forward to seeing what they can do and how they develop. Moaning does nothing positive, supporting and encouraging on match day does.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If we sign an unknown player then I look forward to seeing what they can do and how they develop. Moaning does nothing positive, supporting and encouraging on match day does.

:lol: :lol: :lol: very true RCS . Céad míle fáilte, my @rse
PilgrimInPeace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf0nlBkY07o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
he scored against you in January, from 1:18-1:44 shows Young from that game, he's 21 and played over 100 times for us. Wouldn't be a bad signing for you.
Nesty
looks like he's prone to eating a few Cornish Pasties
Si Robin
He looks a little like Scott Brown (the midfielder).
CheltRobin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27838249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another link to A J Leitch-Smith
Peter Griffin
I see no mention of Leitch-Smith in that article?
Robin
It's there Pete in the left side box of Crewe player movements.
CheltRobin
It mentions it in the panel on the left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Isn't a panel on the left on mobile version which loads as default on some smartphones or tablets.
Malabus
We need to get our bums into gear if we want to compete in L2 next season. Other L2 teams are making so very good signings.