5 players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

mattyboi
Turned professional in the summer (Dale, Williams, kotwica, Bowen and Powell). These guys need to be given a chance. 1st team players have under performed week in week out, this is surely why we have a squad. Players like Bird, duff, gallingh were thrown in and had to get on with on. To me this is the biggest dissaponment this season, kotwica was deemed good enough last season, now he can't make the bench. MY is doing more harm than good. For God sake give them a chance.
horlickfanclub
Agree . Give them a chance. We need some energy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is a disappointment to me too. I would love to see them play.

But can you imagine the uproar on here? If Yates picked the kids and we lost, rather than appreciating the long-term bigger picture the fans would be screaming at Yates for the decision.

See the Emperor's New Clothes thread about Hanks as an example.
solihullkev
Kotwica has had plenty of chances - he's not on the radar as he has not shown he has it.

Williams not kicked on.

We should only give them a chance if they are good enough. Turning professional does not mean they are good enough.
boycott97
Unfortunately none of them at this precise moment in time are anywhere near good enough. That is abundantly obvious whenever you watch them. Perhaps in a couple of years if they can somehow stay in the professional game they could make it, but a small Club like Cheltenham cant take that chance. If we gave them a chance now we would be relegated and their confidence might be totally knocked back. I think of the Marley Watkins situation as there are similarities- when at CTFC had talent/potential but we cant maintain a big enough squad and let him develop slowly surely. I'm increasingly of the view that it was a mistake giving out some many contracts- maybe take a punt on the best 2 but 5 at the same time is plain daft. The wages for the other 3 could have paid for 1 player who could make a difference.
Benctfc
Kotwica is a weird one for me. I thought the game he came off the bench against Dagenham he was brilliant and caused them lots of problems. However since then he hasn't even made the bench. Why is he not out on loan at the moment?
mattyboi
Haworth, black, sterling-james, CBB as an actual left back, are any of them better than the named 5. Harry Williams has got 5 in 5 at evesham during a stop start loan spell due to the FA cup, bobbie Dale perform well at bath now at Cirencester, another under John broughs guidance at cinderford. How can you say they havn't kicked on, when not even been given a chance!!! JPT trophy, Perfect opportunity to see what some could do.
Robin
Is that part of the problem Matty it's a huge gap from the likes of Evesham, Cirencester and Cinderford to league football. Why don't we try to get them at Worcester and Gloucester and see how they do there?
CTFC_Forever
solihullkev wrote:Kotwica has had plenty of chances - he's not on the radar as he has not shown he has it.

Williams not kicked on.

We should only give them a chance if they are good enough. Turning professional does not mean they are good enough.
Kev, did Williams look out of place last year when given the opportunity? No. Had he been given the opportunity this year? No.

So how can he kick on when reserve games are very limited and he is out on loan for two months? At least he is still performing and getting game time there rather than being left to rot.

As for Kotwica, has shown it in spells but needs a run of games and a confidence boost. Very difficult when you are being ignored. Then there is the formation, how's that gonna work out for Kotwica?

How are we ever going to find out if they will "kick on' unless they are in the 18 and get game time?

I mean, can they do any worse? And then there is our track record as a club of developing youth players. Not a fantastic record in that department, but we are poor old Cheltenham after all, no budget and no hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
London Exile
We keep playing the 'we haven't two pennies to rub together' card, well if we really are that skint can we afford to be offering Dale, Bowen, Powell and Williams contracts if they are not even going to feature?
Ok they probably aren't on much compared to other senior players but if they are nowhere near the first team why not allow them the opportunity to develop their careers elsewhere.
Quite frankly sending them on loan to Evesham or Cinderford isn't great. Look at Ed Williams he is playing for Ciren and doing well and that's 1 division higher than the respective division of Cinderford and Evesham, these lads need to be at Conference North/South level on loan if we are to give them a test and prepare them for League football.
CTFC_Forever
London Exile wrote:We keep playing the 'we haven't two pennies to rub together' card, well if we really are that skint can we afford to be offering Dale, Bowen, Powell and Williams contracts if they are not even going to feature?
Ok they probably aren't on much compared to other senior players but if they are nowhere near the first team why not allow them the opportunity to develop their careers elsewhere.
Quite frankly sending them on loan to Evesham or Cinderford isn't great. Look at Ed Williams he is playing for Ciren and doing well and that's 1 division higher than the respective division of Cinderford and Evesham, these lads need to be at Conference North/South level on loan if we are to give them a test and prepare them for League football.
Could not have put it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattyboi
Robin wrote:Is that part of the problem Matty it's a huge gap from the likes of Evesham, Cirencester and Cinderford to league football. Why don't we try to get them at Worcester and Gloucester and see how they do there?
It probably is part of the problem, but Haworth and black have hardly played any football over the last 2-3 seasons, OSJ has came from redditch so not much higher than where our youngsters currently are. I believe the impact of Haworth, black and OSJ would have been no different should they had not been here and our own home grown talent had been used in their place, could even add John marquis to that list, 2 goals is simply not s good enough return.
taxidave
boycott97 wrote: I'm increasingly of the view that it was a mistake giving out some many contracts- maybe take a punt on the best 2 but 5 at the same time is plain daft. The wages for the other 3 could have paid for 1 player who could make a difference.
I did say at the time that this was just a cost cutting measure as it appeared as though we would not be able to afford more senior pros.