Get Your Raffle Tickets !

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/chelte ... 43415.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reliant Robin
The 'Reliant Robin Stand' definitely has a somewhat fitting and charming allure about it, but I think I'd get screwed over copyright, so reluctantly I am going to have to give this opportunity a miss ;)

Good luck to whichever person or company gets the lucky draw from the hat, it is a prize definitely worth the gamble, getting their name up with the resurgent Cheltenham Town FC, back in The Football League.
thetonga
Bit embarrassing that the commercial department couldn't find and sponsor and have resorted to this to try and claw a few pennies back for it, especially after the success of last year.

Be interesting to know what they would have been looking to charge a potential client for this had they been interested?
andgarod
So are you buying a ticket tonga?
The Tonga stand certainly has a ring about it
ctfc-fan
thetonga wrote:Bit embarrassing that the commercial department couldn't find and sponsor and have resorted to this to try and claw a few pennies back for it, especially after the success of last year.

Be interesting to know what they would have been looking to charge a potential client for this had they been interested?
How is it embarrassing? This tactic has been used in the past too, like when it was first built, that's how In2Print got it named IIRC.
Malabus
Satisfying to hear our local UKIP branch have bought several raffle tickets.
CS85
May aswell call it the kkk stand mal.
Malabus
CS85 wrote:May aswell call it the kkk stand mal.
What a load of tosh.
Think before you hit the post button.
thetonga
Well securing sponsorship of the stadium and stands should be of paramount importance to a commercial department in any sporting organisation as it is a relatively large revenue income without being too hard a sell given the significant exposure to local businesses.

Given the success we had last year, it would be expected that all existing sponsorship deals would be renewed, at increased rates or at worst frozen rates. Now, as we have lost both the stadium and stand sponsors, it would indicate that either the relationships with existing sponsors we not as strong as they should have been or this years pricing was too aggressive.

As we have lost these sponsors, new business should have been found to replace the outgoing sponsors but these don't appear to have been found, hence raffling off the rights. It's surprising that a new sponsor was not found on the back of last seasons success and better exposure to potential sponsors again potentially linked to an aggressive pricing strategy.

Say the sponsorship was £10k originally, this raffling will raise a small percentage of that, therefore underselling the product. In addition to this is the fact that defeat has been accepted in finding a sponsor and the commercial department has failed in one of its main objectives that will have been made by the board. This doesn't breed much confidence in the performance of the commercial side of the business.
ctfc-fan
I think you'll find it's not as easy to keep existing stand sponsors from what I've been told by someone who use to sponsor a stand.
asl
Besides which, we were never told (nor would I expect to be) whether it was us or WoS who decided not to take up the second year of the stadium sponsorship. We may not have 'lost' them, at all - we may simply have received a better offer.
horlickfanclub
I wonder what track record Tonga has in marketing ,sales and management.
thetonga
With the greatest of respect, suggesting that it is not easy keeping sponsors doesn't tie in with other football league clubs who will (or the vast majority at least) have stand sponsors and not resort to raffling the rights. I would add that given the comparative lack of other sports sponsorship opportunities locally in opposition to if we were based in London or another area with a vast amount of competitors, would mean that it's not as if our sponsors were lured elsewhere by local rivals.

Point taken regarding receiving a better offer for the stadium sponsorship, however in that case then offering the stand sponsorship or another area of the ground would have put on the table. The fact they are not sponsoring next season would mean they are classed as lost business.

I want the club to do well commercially as it is added revenue that can be put into the playing budget but I see this as a bit of a desperate attempt to claw pack some pennies for something that should have sold itself.
ctfc-fan
thetonga wrote:With the greatest of respect, suggesting that it is not easy keeping sponsors doesn't tie in with other football league clubs who will (or the vast majority at least) have stand sponsors and not resort to raffling the rights. I would add that given the comparative lack of other sports sponsorship opportunities locally in opposition to if we were based in London or another area with a vast amount of competitors, would mean that it's not as if our sponsors were lured elsewhere by local rivals.
With the greatest respect, my info comes from an ex sponsor.
thetonga
Info?!

If your ex sponsor chum didn't want to renew, then it would appear as if the club wasn't doing enough to retain the sponsor! I am unsure what point you're making, you're saying it's not easy to retain sponsors, this means that perhaps the club isn't doing enough which is the point I'm making!
andgarod
A friend was a sponsor as was I

No one from the club approached either of us and when both ( seperately) of us contacted the club there was only second rate sponsorship left
No chance to renew - but we were not preferred by the management or perhaps we were seen either as easy or insignificant
Players sponsorship was supposedly going to help bring people in but it only renewed those that were there already

I think John F has done a good job but the finacial side is lacking the cutting thrust of a commercial football club

Im sure if you ( Tonga) suggest ways forward to JF , the chairman or the trust it will be looked at

Perhaps you will buy that raffle ticket now
Coops
asl wrote:Besides which, we were never told (nor would I expect to be) whether it was us or WoS who decided not to take up the second year of the stadium sponsorship. We may not have 'lost' them, at all - we may simply have received a better offer.
You are correct. We received a better offer.
thetonga
andgarod wrote:A friend was a sponsor as was I

No one from the club approached either of us and when both ( seperately) of us contacted the club there was only second rate sponsorship left
No chance to renew - but we were not preferred by the management or perhaps we were seen either as easy or insignificant
Players sponsorship was supposedly going to help bring people in but it only renewed those that were there already

I think John F has done a good job but the finacial side is lacking the cutting thrust of a commercial football club

Im sure if you ( Tonga) suggest ways forward to JF , the chairman or the trust it will be looked at

Perhaps you will buy that raffle ticket now
Sorry, I cannot understand what point you are trying to put across. It is not my role to tell someone how to do their job, it's just surprising that a sponsor was not able to be found and this scheme is being put in place given the success around the club at this moment in time. The raffle will not take in anywhere near the amount of a private sponsor would pay for the rights to the stand so it is just disappointing to see the commercial department and the club missing out on revenue which will have been budgeted for to have come in.

If someone can tell me how not finding a sponsor for the stand and having to raffle it off for peanuts is beneficial to the club then I will happily stand corrected.
ctfc-fan
thetonga wrote:Info?!

If your ex sponsor chum didn't want to renew, then it would appear as if the club wasn't doing enough to retain the sponsor! I am unsure what point you're making, you're saying it's not easy to retain sponsors, this means that perhaps the club isn't doing enough which is the point I'm making!
In fact it was the opposite, they didn't want to renew.

So what I'm saying is maybe it's not as easy as you seem to think it is finding a sponsor to outlay £10k just like that, especially with the referendum looming.
andgarod
So we are now saying the cost of sponsoring the stand is £10000
If so JF and others only have to sell 100 tickets
So after your 2 tonga, thats only 98 to go
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You have to remember that our live and highlights TV coverage will be a lot smaller this year so sponsorship may be less desirable.

3,500 at WR plus thousands watching live on BT a few times vs 3,500 and 6 seconds of highlights on Channel 5. Which is the more attractive to an advertiser?
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:You have to remember that our live and highlights TV coverage will be a lot smaller this year so sponsorship may be less desirable.

3,500 at WR plus thousands watching live on BT a few times vs 3,500 and 6 seconds of highlights on Channel 5. Which is the more attractive to an advertiser?
Also, am I right in thinking that that particular stand gets less TV exposure due to the cameras being in that stand.
Totally different if Sky are covering the game of course.
Btw I expect one of our first games to be on Sky as historically they show a promoted team at the start of the season.
longmover
They'll be all over Grimsby, we wont get a look in.