Cheltenham Town v Leicester City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/LeicesterCityHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Palmer
Up and running here now: http://bit.ly/LeicesterCityHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
confused.com
Defence as shaky as ever. Cranston skinned 3 times. We won't be getting any points of Wycombe when SB is not in goals.
Great strike for third
Shade
6-1 and, just like Crewe in the FA Cup, that'll be all our goals used up for a couple of months :lol:
Robin
Decent result, reasonably decent money next week in the quarter final with Bradford, £40k for the winner and realistic chance then of making a day out at Wembley.
Artemis
confused.com wrote:Defence as shaky as ever. Cranston skinned 3 times. We won't be getting any points of Wycombe when SB is not in goals.
Great strike for third
We might, just might, if we score 6 ......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
F*ck me. Just checked the scores having paid it no attention.
Circa 1887
Credit where it's due - brilliant result that should act as a reminder to some of the players of what they are capable of. Great stuff from Diego too, this is a real opportunity for him to establish himself as a league calibre footballer.
Johnsons Red Army
Went today and was very pleased that I did. Excellent performance and result :D!

Shame that I had no other choice but to sit in the main stand though, or at least attempt to.

Now, I'm not the tallest person in the world (about 5'7"), but my knees were touching the back of the seat in front of me when I did attempt to sit down. God knows how my friend, 6'4", felt. Gave up after about a minute and went down to standing area. Was everyone a midget back when the stand was built or did everyone have extremely short legs? :lol: If that land swap deal ever comes off, that stands needs fully replacing and hopefully with some leg room next time.

I feel sorry for anyone that has a season ticket seated in that stand that isn't a midget or someone with extremely short legs as I know I'd be asking for a discount if it were me! :lol:
Reliant Robin
It was a superb performance tonight, there was a real energy about our play, great movement and runnng, especially Billy in the first half was a real handful and Leicester struggled to cope with him Diego's stunning left foot shot lifted over the keeper from the edge of the box was sheer class.

Worth listening to Matt Le Tissier's view of the game:

https://youtu.be/H2elEq7zRU8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
confused.com wrote:Defence as shaky as ever. Cranston skinned 3 times. We won't be getting any points of Wycombe when SB is not in goals.
Great strike for third
6 goals and you still are not happy. No pleasing you is there
vickeryc
Ralph wrote:
Great strike for third
Of course not, Ralph. :roll: Less negative than usual though - at least the quality of one of our goals was acknowledged!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Great strike for third
It appears Confused.com is beginning to show tbe signs of a true boo-boy. Ie. He now cares more about one player, 'the booboy target', (Cranston) than he does about team results.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Went today and was very pleased that I did. Excellent performance and result :D!

Shame that I had no other choice but to sit in the main stand though, or at least attempt to.

Now, I'm not the tallest person in the world (about 5'7"), but my knees were touching the back of the seat in front of me when I did attempt to sit down. God knows how my friend, 6'4", felt. Gave up after about a minute and went down to standing area. Was everyone a midget back when the stand was built or did everyone have extremely short legs? :lol: If that land swap deal ever comes off, that stands needs fully replacing and hopefully with some leg room next time.

I feel sorry for anyone that has a season ticket seated in that stand that isn't a midget or someone with extremely short legs as I know I'd be asking for a discount if it were me! :lol:
When the stand was built it was with wooden benches, and I suspect with fewer rows, with more space between each row. I always thought that when we reached the League we were a bit sneaky and crammed in enough seats in to the stand to meet League requirements even if it meant putting in too many rows and reducing leg room.

My view is all seating should be the same price as standing anyway.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Great strike for third
It appears Confused.com is beginning to show tbe signs of a true boo-boy. Ie. He now cares more about one player, 'the booboy target', (Cranston) than he does about team results.
If any of the three of you paid any attention to posts, you will have seen that the post was made at half time. And I believe that the comments were totally fair.
Cranston was easily got round three times in that half, giving them a run into the box from the line.

Crosses into our box were causing a degree of panic, with keeper and defence. A league 2 team, I believe, would have exposed that frailty more than the opposition last night.
Second half was less precarious in defence as we started to dominate the entire half ( Leics had a spell after we scored our first, were they looked like they could be a handful).

But totally agree it is much easier to post from afar and criticise opinions
confused.com
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Went today and was very pleased that I did. Excellent performance and result :D!

So true. If you don't get a front row seat or an aisle, you are in for an evening of abject misery. Was even tempted to go and sit in the hazlewood to avoid DVT
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote: If any of the three of you paid any attention to posts, you will have seen that the post was made at half time. And I believe that the comments were totally fair.
Cranston was easily got round three times in that half, giving them a run into the box from the line.

Crosses into our box were causing a degree of panic, with keeper and defence. A league 2 team, I believe, would have exposed that frailty more than the opposition last night.
Second half was less precarious in defence as we started to dominate the entire half ( Leics had a spell after we scored our first, were they looked like they could be a handful).

Thanks and interesting to hear. Good to read the details and nuance behind one line statements - helps you sort wheat from chaff, and as always your insightfulness is very much in the wheat basket.

As for your last comment, again, I agree: doubt I could have broken all post count records had I actually gone to many games.
confused.com
confused.com wrote: If any of the three of you paid any attention to posts, you will have seen that the post was made at half time. And I believe that the comments were totally fair.

Thanks and interesting to hear. Good to read the details and nuance behind one line statements - helps you sort wheat from chaff, and as always your insightfulness is very much in the wheat basket.

As for your last comment, again, I agree: doubt I could have broken all post count records had I actually gone to many games.
You make a good effort !!!!

call me old fashioned, but my simplistic view is that a full backs first priority is being able to defend his area. Any other benefits of him going forward are a bonus.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:

You make a good effort !!!!

call me old fashioned, but my simplistic view is that a full backs first priority is being able to defend his area. Any other benefits of him going forward are a bonus.
Me too. I don't disagree with that. Just I think of the 11 players who had an area to defend/boss in most games up to now Cranston was not even in the bottom four or five in terms of how well or not he did the job. Hence my opinion weekly targeting of JC when other players were consistently worse was unfair.

Also, hopefully now that JC can focus on LB rather than always having to be on stand by to cover Downes/Parslow errors/slowness he can kick on.
confused.com
RCS - it confuses me how someone who shows pace going forward, often gets run past by the opposition. I concluded therefore, it shouldn't be lack of speed that is causing the problems, but either incorrect positioning of either his body or actually positioning on the pitch. He did grow in to it in the second half, but as GJ admits himself, as the game went on the Leics heads dropped. Thus the entire team got an easier ride, but more so our defence.

I know others disagree, as they are quite entitled to, however, I still believe he is too easily got round and got behind. The good work he does in attack, counts for little (especially given our non prolific goal scoring this season), if he can not stop crosses from the right, or free runs into the box.
I note that paperboy thought JC had a good game last night, which just goes to show how we all see different things in a player and judge them in different ways. E.g. of the two new boys at the back last night, I thought Boyle had the more solid performance, nothing flash just solid. whereas I thought at time Manny struggled. I am sure both will continue to improve with time, likewise I am sure others will have viewed it differently.
One thing that can be said about sitting in the main stand, it makes you concentrate on the game. As there is no chance of you relaxing for a few seconds and enjoying a conversation with your neighbour, who is also in the fetal position
vickeryc
In the games that I've seen, JC has had a mixed season though no better or worse than most of the squad. He started the season very well, but then went off the boil as team confidence slumped. However, he invariably shows glimpses of his true potential even when having an 'off' day. Overall, a decent squad player who is quite versatile.
confused.com
vickeryc wrote:In the games that I've seen, JC has had a mixed season though no better or worse than most of the squad. He started the season very well, but then went off the boil as team confidence slumped. However, he invariably shows glimpses of his true potential even when having an 'off' day. Overall, a decent squad player who is quite versatile.
As I said, the usefulness of an opinion is in itself an opinion. He is indeed versatile, but my views are judged on him being a full back and thus defending. Not arguing he does not have other facets to his game, but they are a bonus. His priorities are to stop crosses coming in, don't let people get to the by line and run into the box and don't let unmarked men get in behind him.
There was a glaring example late in the second half where they crossed deep to the far post. The Leics player just failed to get to it, but I would estimate he was at least 10 yards behind JC who was stood stationary and I would wonder if he was even aware if the. man was there. (just an example).
Like wise I would not be praising a goalkeeper who was great at distributing the ball, had a great kick, but only had a slight problem with stopping the ball going into the net.
I don't believe I am being negative, just saying what I see. If others see it differently< I have no problem with that. Have often said on here that he had a great start to the season, before reverting back to his erratic form of last year
Robin
Interestingly GJ said in one of his recent interviews that he thought Cranston was doing well. In my view he's one of the weakest links in the team for the reasons Confused.com has highlighted, after a central midfielder and target man a full back is my preference is we can stretch to three new faces.
Artemis
i don't think Cranston was playing as a full-back last night was he? More the wing-back role, with the three centre halves and Barts on the right. That's a difficult role and needs co-ordination with the left sided centre half to prevent the opposition getting into the corner to cross the ball.

That said, I have seen Cranston play full-back, where he should be stopping the cross - .e.g vs Wycombe. And he didn't make a great fist of it, in my view.
kora
The lad who scored their goal has 14 caps for Poland and cost them £7.5m in the summer. 2 of their players played against Porto in the Champion's League so it wasn't all raw kids we beat.
Artemis
Indeed, thats why in my view it was a standout result, showing what we are capable of. But, I expect Accrington will be a lot more physical and direct. And that will be the challenge as it has been all season.
Score early, and we'll be fine.
Robin
Having seen Accrington at their place they were physically strong (not dirty) and very well organised but not much in the skill department. It's a game we should be looking to win as they are one of the poorer sides but crucial we score first to do so.
Shade
Robin wrote:Having seen Accrington at their place they were physically strong (not dirty) and very well organised but not much in the skill department. It's a game we should be looking to win as they are one of the poorer sides but crucial we score first to do so.
Don't forget that a certain Gornell up front that will no longer be getting the welcome back that Sido and Scott when we played Wycombe.
Johnsons Red Army

When the stand was built it was with wooden benches, and I suspect with fewer rows, with more space between each row. I always thought that when we reached the League we were a bit sneaky and crammed in enough seats in to the stand to meet League requirements even if it meant putting in too many rows and reducing leg room.

My view is all seating should be the same price as standing anyway.
Thanks for the explanation RCS :) .
vickeryc
confused.com wrote:
vickeryc wrote:In the games that I've seen, JC has had a mixed season though no better or worse than most of the squad. He started the season very well, but then went off the boil as team confidence slumped. However, he invariably shows glimpses of his true potential even when having an 'off' day. Overall, a decent squad player who is quite versatile.
As I said, the usefulness of an opinion is in itself an opinion. He is indeed versatile, but my views are judged on him being a full back and thus defending. Not arguing he does not have other facets to his game, but they are a bonus. His priorities are to stop crosses coming in, don't let people get to the by line and run into the box and don't let unmarked men get in behind him.
There was a glaring example late in the second half where they crossed deep to the far post. The Leics player just failed to get to it, but I would estimate he was at least 10 yards behind JC who was stood stationary and I would wonder if he was even aware if the. man was there. (just an example).
Like wise I would not be praising a goalkeeper who was great at distributing the ball, had a great kick, but only had a slight problem with stopping the ball going into the net.
I don't believe I am being negative, just saying what I see. If others see it differently< I have no problem with that. Have often said on here that he had a great start to the season, before reverting back to his erratic form of last year
I don't disagree with generalities of your post, though TBF I did not suggest you were being negative on this occasion. Without meaning to appear like I'm JC's biggest fan, maybe the regular switching of positions has exposed some of his weaknesses more than if he were regularly played in his best position.
Shade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgVvJfKAPfs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlights of last nights game. JC switches off and loses his man, doesn't chase back hard or try to throw himself in front of the cross, they score. D'OS gives him a mouthful. Something similar happens at least 2 or 3 times every game, but the ball doesn't always fall to a £6.4m Polish international that can turn on a sixpence in the box.
confused.com
Shade wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgVvJfKAPfs

Highlights of last nights game. JC switches off and loses his man, doesn't chase back hard or try to throw himself in front of the cross, they score. D'OS gives him a mouthful. Something similar happens at least 2 or 3 times every game, but the ball doesn't always fall to a £6.4m Polish international that can turn on a sixpence in the box.
+1 just posted same on your highlights thread (but that is me being my usual negative self) ;)
horlickfanclub
But does he watch the DVD ?
confused.com
Ben2 wrote:The JC bullying is nothing new. Most home fans watch the left back defend and the right back attack due to the way home fans are housed. Therefore every season the left back is criticised and the right back praised. The manager is not so daft and therefore picks the left back each week and the right back is a bit-part player
With the best will in the world and with totally no offence meant. That is b0llox. I have watched from main stand and i2P, the perfomances are the same
Si Robin
I agree with Ben, to an extent.

Look at posts from last season and there were loads saying how George had to improve, or George is getting better as the season goes on but is he the weak link, etc...

I've said it before that, Jamie Victory and Alan Wright aside (arguably Luke Garbutt), our left-backs seem to be scrutinised more than any other position. They can't all have been awful (CBB was).