Defender coming in

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
plymrob wrote:Too late. There's a few on here who clearly have their own managerial expertise above and beyond that of GJ...

I say give bloke chance and then reflect on the bigger picture before lambasting them on here. We are seemingly critical of some before thy kick a ball for us in 2017.

Weird I know, but I respect and support any CTFC player wearing a Cheltenham Town shirt. You might expect that from Jack Deaman's mum - but Darren Wright's family are closely related. The Parslow and Cranston clans are first cousins. Please, back off and keep your criticisms to yourself... Some hope I know...

I am almost siding with RCS - so things are definitely looking good.

By the way... Plymouth Argyle are talking about a share holder restructuring (among a few) and a large, long term, several million pound loan (with agreed interest)... to deliver the new grandstand. It's for the good of club and giving something back to Plymouth, of course. As a ratepayer down here I feel I have already subsidised the club... and that grates. With their current FA Cup cash windfall, I wonder if the publicised loan terms may shortly change.

I need to add, Paul Baker and the Board seem to do a fine job for the Robins. If you want to be critical, please step up to the plate. The Plymouth fan-base and their opinion is one thing (no fan me unless the Robins are playing down here) - The Robin's catchment and fan base is chalk and cheese by comparison...

Oopps....!
So we should never criticise a player or only ever praise this forum would be boring place if so. The whole point of a forum is for people to express an opinion whether that be positive or negative of a player or manager. As long as there's no personal abuse I don't see the issue?
confused.com
Indeed, the vast majority of views are. Decent bunch of lads but not league 2 standard.
kora
Boyle was in John Sutton's Scottish Prem team of the week on Saturday; as that league is approx. league 1 standard, I would hope he'll turn out to be better than some of you have already decided he is.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:Boyle was in John Sutton's Scottish Prem team of the week on Saturday; as that league is approx. league 1 standard, I would hope he'll turn out to be better than some of you have already decided he is.
Me too. But because a) he isn't 27 with 250 journeyman games or b) they haven't seen him on Football Manager, many will have pre-judged. Even if he makes a solid start and does the simple things right, I expect the first misplaced pass to be vilified.
horlickfanclub
I look forward to seeing him play. He has shown commitment by signing long term. Much better than a loan.Onwards and upwards for Will.
Shade
Here's to, hopefully, a GJ & PJ signing where they've managed to convince someone that should be playing higher to join us and help us rise like a phoenix.

"Sign with us, kid. You'll be a hero and playing in the Championship in 3 years time, I've been there and done it so trust me"

The fact that Huddersfield have insisted on a sell on clause suggests they think he may well be playing higher in a couple of years.
Hubert Parry
How did he play? As I said before, I have a strong suspicion he will be a great signing.
Johnsons Red Army
No complaints from me.
confused.com
Hubert Parry wrote:How did he play? As I said before, I have a strong suspicion he will be a great signing.
Thought it was a solid performance. The highlight for me personally was in the second half, when he took time to turn and applaud the keeper when he came out and took a high cross, well. This after a very shaky ball handling first half. So was good to see him offer encouragement
paperboy
confused.com wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:How did he play? As I said before, I have a strong suspicion he will be a great signing.
Thought it was a solid performance. The highlight for me personally was in the second half, when he took time to turn and applaud the keeper when he came out and took a high cross, well. This after a very shaky ball handling first half. So was good to see him offer encouragement
He wasn't really tested last night,but for Saturday I would bring Downes back as O'Sh and Cranston were more impressive last night.
plymrob
I hope to think I am am fairly consistent in my defence of all CTFC players. I do not see many games and,when I do, I do not always agree with the judgement of others.

OK, you are completely right. People must pass comment on a forum. That said, I would probably feel a lot happier not to have to consistently read the same from the same. If certain players read some of stuff on here they might even agree with me and it caanot help their confidence...

Hopefully,the players give all this a wide berth. I am hoping they deliver their own self critique - to sit alongside that of GJ.

Repetitive now I know... but I am rather hoping our players do not read this or take it too much to heart.

I feel (my opinion) that there are always a few players that seem to be being vilified on here. I, for one, am not sure that this is always fair, or helpful. That said, I have to agree with you, it's a personal opinion. If you want to rubbish any current CTFC players that's your choice - and do please carry on.

For now, I'll have to stick to my fundamentals.

COYR
confused.com
plymrob wrote:I hope to think I am am fairly consistent in my defence of all CTFC players. I do not see many games and,when I do, I do not always agree with the judgement of others.

OK, you are completely right. People must pass comment on a forum. That said, I would probably feel a lot happier not to have to consistently read the same from the same. If certain players read some of stuff on here they might even agree with me and it caanot help their confidence...

Hopefully,the players give all this a wide berth. I am hoping they deliver their own self critique - to sit alongside that of GJ.

Repetitive now I know... but I am rather hoping our players do not read this or take it too much to heart.

I feel (my opinion) that there are always a few players that seem to be being vilified on here. I, for one, am not sure that this is always fair, or helpful. That said, I have to agree with you, it's a personal opinion. If you want to rubbish any current CTFC players that's your choice - and do please carry on.

For now, I'll have to stick to my fundamentals.

COYR
Hopefully with your close knowledge of approx 25% of the first team, you will have a fair idea whether they read the forum or not.

I think the truth of the situation is in your own comment (however I would question the term vilified). Praise is given regularly, effort is praised regularly, but there are a few players that it has become evident, that are not up to holding down a L2 starting place. I can see no reason why this should not be pointed out. The other side of the coin is also true, there are a few players that seem to be consistently praised on here. The question you should be asking is why certain players fall into the respective groupings.
In saying that, even those that are regularly praised are not immune to getting a bit of criticism, when their performance drops below the standard expected.
I agree the fans have the luxury unlike the manager to give personal opinion with both barrels, unlike the manager who has to be more circumspect (I guess partly because he picks the team , chooses who to substitute etc). But who know what is said behind closed doors. Again, with your closes ties maybe you are aware.
We all have our own view to where the main weaknesses are in the team and the fact that, as you say, the same names crop up time after time. Must mean something, however have yet to read any comment that is not based on their football ability at this standard. The entire squad were the best at last years standard, new ball game , new expectations and new measuring stick this year