One of CTFC's greatest memories to be demolished

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A "desolate Nene Park" (to quote the Diamonds TV presenter on that famous day) is set to be razed to the ground.

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/new ... -1-7767776" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We came, we saw we conquered (CTFC, 3rd April, 1999).

How sombre these words written that evening by Jeremy Alexander in the Guardian seem today: "Diamonds are for ever, Rushden for the league. As everyone knows, seasons, like games, can have a twist in the tail."

(I wonder, can they put the stands on a lorry and bring them to Gloucester for their new ground?)
Fuller
Sad to see in a way, but for the 600 odd (or more) of us who were that day, those gleaming stands will live long in the memory.

I still dream about Broughy's scuffed shot and Larry bundling the ball over the line, and the following scenes of absolute joy and bedlam. Almost brings a tear to my eye .....
Shade
Maybe as a permanent reminder we could nab their main stand...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Sad to see in a way, but for the 600 odd (or more) of us who were that day, those gleaming stands will live long in the memory.

I still dream about Broughy's scuffed shot and Larry bundling the ball over the line, and the following scenes of absolute joy and bedlam. Almost brings a tear to my eye .....
"And the Cheltenham fans have LOST it"
asl
Doesn't look in bad shape for being in a "dangerous condition as a major fire risk and derelict condition." Those pictures of Sudmeadow Park show what those words really mean. The pic taken through the grill at the corner shows green grass (bit long, true) and goalposts! Even the outside walls are free from graffiti.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Doesn't look in bad shape for being in a "dangerous condition as a major fire risk and derelict condition." Those pictures of Sudmeadow Park show what those words really mean. The pic taken through the grill at the corner shows green grass (bit long, true) and goalposts! Even the outside walls are free from graffiti.
Pitch much less dangerous than ours, that's for sure.
Malabus
Fuller wrote:Sad to see in a way, but for the 600 odd (or more) of us who were that day, those gleaming stands will live long in the memory.

600...more like 1000+ and a 1000+ locked outside.
I was very lucky to be right behind the goal. Amazing day and such a thrill.
longmover
So much for the olympic legacy, its a national disgrace that a faciltiy like this is going to be demolished, this country is going through a diabectic / obesity epidemic and this 'sporting facility' has been let to go to ruin and for what? I should expect flats or some horrendous chain multiplex of bo11ox feeding burgers and chips to already overweight adults and children.

Add this what is happening at millwall, its criminal.
Sprout Picker
Malabus wrote:

600...more like 1000+ and a 1000+ locked outside.
I was very lucky to be right behind the goal. Amazing day and such a thrill.
Think the big stand behind the goal held 1700 as I remember the Annie's bloke telling the media before the game that no had ever filled it.

I got in about half hour after kick-off as did many others in the home areas, hundreds didn't and went back home, suggestion at the time was approximately 2500 CTFC had made the trip.
Robin
Yes my understanding was around 2500 Chelt fans there that day we filled the 1700 seater an hour before kick off we were then given a segment to the right probably about 200 or so tickets, by that point there were CTFC fans queuing for the home terraces and hundreds locked out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:So much for the olympic legacy, its a national disgrace that a faciltiy like this is going to be demolished, this country is going through a diabectic / obesity epidemic and this 'sporting facility' has been let to go to ruin and for what? I should expect flats or some horrendous chain multiplex of bo11ox feeding burgers and chips to already overweight adults and children.

Add this what is happening at millwall, its criminal.
It is what the population keeps voting for.
vickeryc
Shade wrote:Maybe as a permanent reminder we could nab their main stand...
Now there's a thought...
everyman
vickeryc wrote:
Now there's a thought...
Dave Midwinter " Middy " may be able to advise you on relocating football structures.
VeraLickleklubsBack
vickeryc wrote:
Now there's a thought...
Not worth it. Made of straw, like R&D FC.
Robin
Their main stand was small from what I recall, the away end where we were was probably best and would make an ideal replacement for the C&G/LMI end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Their main stand was small from what I recall, the away end where we were was probably best and would make an ideal replacement for the C&G/LMI end.
Not possible due to the culvert/stream.
Robin
My understanding was/is that is it possible but there is a higher cost and this is why we didn't go with a cantilever stand back in 2000.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:My understanding was/is that is it possible but there is a higher cost and this is why we didn't go with a cantilever stand back in 2000.
That's correct, there's always an engineering solution to any problem. But it often comes at a cost...
Fuller
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-39106992" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All very sad ....
Nesty
or as the commentator on Northampton Radio was heard to say "oh F**K they've scored again"
Nesty
https://youtu.be/EW6_dmu1Xi0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;