Danny Andrew

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

THECHOIRBOY
Did a Billy Waters and did a clean sweep at the Grimsby Player of the Season awards winning all the major awards. In fact he won 9, yes nine, at their ceremony!

Well done to him as he has had a fair few ups and downs already in his career. Obviously now found a place he is comfortable and feels part of it.

I also noticed Martin Riley won Wrexham player of the year but still got released :-)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well done Danny. One of the many CTFC left-backs targeted for extra criticism from boo-boys. Glad he has stuck at it and found success.
horlickfanclub
I rated him. Good for him for rebuilding his career.
Nesty
horlickfanclub wrote:I rated him. Good for him for rebuilding his career.
ditto
Shade
Yeah well done to him, but I would like to point out it has taken him basically 4/5 years to become a decent League 2 player so it wasn't exactly a bad thing for us to get rid when we did, and there was much room for improvement otherwise he wouldn't have dropped down to Gloucester's level. Seems like his attitude has improved as he's gotten older as he had a bit of a bad attitude when being told what he was doing wrong by his manager, iirc.
andgarod
Shade - you have it spot on

Didnt he have a major fallout with yates
I certainly remember then swearing at each other

I think this is the problem with youngsters they are inconsistent and although have potential we cannot carry a big enough squad to let them develop.
The choice then is use young loanees who learn while they play but have an inherent higher skill level than our own youngsters
asl
I always remember a series of interviews of CTFC players where they were asked pretty much the same questions as each other. One of the questions was "which of your team-mates do you consider to be the most technically gifted?" or words to that effect. Almost everyone gave the same answer: Danny Andrew.

Odd, because he always looked a bit of a liability to me.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I always remember a series of interviews of CTFC players where they were asked pretty much the same questions as each other. One of the questions was "which of your team-mates do you consider to be the most technically gifted?" or words to that effect. Almost everyone gave the same answer: Danny Andrew.

Odd, because he always looked a bit of a liability to me.
Shows the difference in how most fans view players and the action compared to how 'those in the game' in - the same reason managers always pick players fans don't think they should and vice versa.
horlickfanclub
He probably told Yates some truths. He was with Fleetwood in League One before getting injured and ending up at Grimsby on decent money. "Those in the game" are often blinkered .Thats why they end up unemployed.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:He probably told Yates some truths. He was with Fleetwood in League One before getting injured and ending up at Grimsby on decent money. "Those in the game" are often blinkered .Thats why they end up unemployed.
Yeah and he was also at Gloucester before Fleetwood, which also tells you something. He probably needed that kick up the arse - a "sort yourself out or this is the level you'll be playing at permanently".
I-Love-CTFC
He always had a great left foot and a good delivery but his defensive duties let him down here. He was exposed on numerous occasions against tricky wingers.
everyman
I-Love-CTFC wrote:He always had a great left foot and a good delivery but his defensive duties let him down here. He was exposed on numerous occasions against tricky wingers.
He was 19 when he came to us and people were far to critical,choosing to look at his weaknesses, as you say he had some quality which we should have developed.
The same goes for Manny Onariase who is only 20 and still gets criticized by some.
horlickfanclub
Good post Everyman.
Shade
He probably got criticised so much because he thought he was much better than he was, hence swearing back at the manager when he told him how to improve.
horlickfanclub
Swearing back implies that he was sworn at. A Manager should handle teenage players with more skill.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
I-Love-CTFC wrote:He always had a great left foot and a good delivery but his defensive duties let him down here. He was exposed on numerous occasions against tricky wingers.
He was 19 when he came to us and people were far to critical,choosing to look at his weaknesses, as you say he had some quality which we should have developed.
The same goes for Manny Onariase who is only 20 and still gets criticized by some.
Indeed. Some players (recently Carson, Parslow) have their poor qualities overlooked and get disproportionate praise. Others get focus on their poor qualities, strong attributes ignored and disproportionately criticised. But, football is about opinions and fans all see and value different things.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:Swearing back implies that he was sworn at. A Manager should handle teenage players with more skill.
Maybe it showed the manager that he wasn't ready to play in the mens game if he was still acting like a kid.
yellowbelly
Nice to see you still remember our Danny in equal measures of opinion!
When he came to you he was a raw 19 year old , almost 200 miles from home, it was by his own admission, tough and he found it hard to cope with that
As for ending up playing for Gloucester, he just wanted to play football, anywhere! He came back home and played a few games for our sunday league side. The drive and ambition was still there resulting in him going as far north to Macclesfield has he had previously done to Cheltenham.
A great season there resulted in Fleetwood calling but unfortunately he copped for a host of injuries, something he had not previously experienced.
The 26 year old Danny is a wiser more experienced footballer who has had a great season at Grimsby as you can see from all the awards. He lives locally again now and is about to become a father in the next few days.
Grimsby probably regret only giving him a one year contract , so who knows what the future holds , he is still as driven as when he was a 19 year old with you guys.
horlickfanclub
Well done Danny Andrew for making a career.
tunnelvision
Shade wrote:Yeah well done to him, but I would like to point out it has taken him basically 4/5 years to become a decent League 2 player so it wasn't exactly a bad thing for us to get rid when we did...
Because we've had a string of much better left-backs since ... :roll:
Cheltenhamshire10
In all seriousness I put him somewhere in the middle in terms of left backs we've had.
Better:
Victory
Richard walker
Alan Wright (just for 1 season)
Garbutt (again just for 1 season)
McCann (don't think he counts as he obviously was better than left back)

Ones I'm reluctant to say are better than Andrew:
Bill Jones (probs just choose him over Andrew), Davis, McLennan,

anyone else better?!

Definitely Worse: Black, CBB, Jennings, was it Tabor the guy from Spurs who made a decent career in Spain? But did nothing for us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cranston?
London Exile
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:In all seriousness I put him somewhere in the middle in terms of left backs we've had.
Better:
Victory
Richard walker
Alan Wright (just for 1 season)
Garbutt (again just for 1 season)
McCann (don't think he counts as he obviously was better than left back)

Ones I'm reluctant to say are better than Andrew:
Bill Jones (probs just choose him over Andrew), Davis, McLennan,

anyone else better?!

Definitely Worse: Black, CBB, Jennings, was it Tabor the guy from Spurs who made a decent career in Spain? But did nothing for us.
You're saying these guys are left backs? That's more credit than I'd give them :D
Cheltenhamshire10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Cranston?
I'd prefer a 19 year old Andrew over Cranston.
If Andrew was to be our left back next season I think he'd do well.
nitram82
I think one of the last games Danny played for us was in a 1-0 win over Dicanio's Swindon, and after the game a lot of their fans picked Danny out as our best player that day.

I do believe that Danny was a decent enough player but was unfortunate to lose his place to a certain Sido Jombati who at that time was just a bit better defensively and at getting forward. I spoke with Danny at a game he was sat in the stand and he was a great lad and openly admitted that Sido was a better player and could have no complaints. A real good honest lad.

I'd have preferred he could have been given more opportunities to develop with us, but nonetheless it is great to see him doing well.
Shade
nitram82 wrote:I think one of the last games Danny played for us was in a 1-0 win over Dicanio's Swindon, and after the game a lot of their fans picked Danny out as our best player that day.

I do believe that Danny was a decent enough player but was unfortunate to lose his place to a certain Sido Jombati who at that time was just a bit better defensively and at getting forward. I spoke with Danny at a game he was sat in the stand and he was a great lad and openly admitted that Sido was a better player and could have no complaints. A real good honest lad.

I'd have preferred he could have been given more opportunities to develop with us, but nonetheless it is great to see him doing well.
Jombati is a right back, Andrew is a left back.
Si Robin
I'm glad you said it, I couldn't tell if it was trolling or not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
nitram82 wrote:I think one of the last games Danny played for us was in a 1-0 win over Dicanio's Swindon, and after the game a lot of their fans picked Danny out as our best player that day.

Jombati is a right back, Andrew is a left back.
Back five that day:

01 Brown
02 Lowe
03 Andrew
06 Elliott
15 Bennett

Sido on the bench.

Looking at League starts that season:

Lowe: 24
Andrew: 10
Elliott: 38
Bennett: 44
Sido: 32

Sido must have started a few at left-back for both he and Lowe to have started so many.
horlickfanclub
He did.
Shade
I stand corrected. Don't ever remember Sido at LB but he must have done as I'm sure we never played Lowe there. The weird thing is I remember at the time everyone saying that Sido can only play well when he had Benno next to him, talking him through games, and he would have been alongside Elliott at LB.
leohoenig
Looking at the matches I saw in 2011-12.
Whenever I saw Danny Andrew start, he was left back with Lowe at right back.
Sido played at right back whenever I saw him, except the play-off semi-finals against Torquay when he was left back with Lowe at right back, and a 2-0 defeat at Shrewsbury, when he played in midfield.
darreno
Sido played at right back whenever I saw him, except the play-off semi-finals against Torquay when he was left back with Lowe at right back
Slightly off subject, but Lowe was very unlucky not to play in the PO final due Garbutt's recall after an injury, I think?
nitram82
Yeah, Sido did play more at right back but I think his first few games were at left back which forced Danny out the team!
everyman
horlickfanclub wrote:Good post Everyman.
Maybe ! but i thought George McLennan was a good young prospect,he`s only 21 and not playing for anyone ?
joes dad
And signs for Doncaster Rovers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40121455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;