Bookies odds season 2017-18

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Arny
It is always interesting to check the bookies odds during close season.
Two years ago Cheltenham were outsiders to win Conference title and be immediately promoted back into Football League. More than a few made a mint on that dodgy prediction.

So what are Cheltenham’s prospects in upcoming season according to the bookies.
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... /promotion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Currently Mansfield are the bookies favourite to win title and be promoted alongside Coventry, Luton, Lincoln, Swindon, Carlisle, Notts Co & Cambridge.

The bookies have Cheltenham unbelievably down in bottom third of table as possible relegation candidates along with Barnet, Crewe, Grimsby, Yeovil, Crawley, Newport & Morecombe.

The bookies expect play-off finalists Exeter and our near neighbours FGR to finish season mid-table alongside Chesterfield, Colchester, Port Vale, Wycombe, Accrington & Stevenage.

I’m sure many will disagree with those Cheltenham’s odds but will have to put their money where their mouth is to change them. However I’m sure the team will try to do the business and prove the bookies wrong.
Shade
OTC?
asl
Arny wrote:The bookies have Cheltenham unbelievably down in bottom third of table as possible relegation candidates.
Why "unbelievably"...? Can't fault the bookies for looking at last season's table first and foremost in order to quote their initial odds, surely...?
Robin
We started last season as one of the favourites for promotion, I would at this moment consider us no better than mid-table. There are better sides and worse sides (Morecambe, Newport, Yeovil to name the obvious ones).
Arny
What I find baffling is that Mansfield are bookies favourite but in last eight games of season they secured same number of points as Cheltenham, who same bookies have in bottom third of table.
And in those eight games Cheltenham's form was decidedly mid-table =12 and not a relegation one.
I guess the supporters of the bigger city clubs have placed huge bets on their own side which has distorted the bookies odds.
FOD_Wyman_2010
I think Mansfield have made some big name signings already and Evans has been assured of a war chest to play with hence their assent to the top of the odds table.
Shade
Yeah, I think Mansfield's early business and that red-faced w@nk£r they've got in charge have gone a long way to bringing those odds down. As the summer goes on we might see it change.
Robin
Arny wrote:What I find baffling is that Mansfield are bookies favourite but in last eight games of season they secured same number of points as Cheltenham, who same bookies have in bottom third of table.
And in those eight games Cheltenham's form was decidedly mid-table =12 and not a relegation one.
I guess the supporters of the bigger city clubs have placed huge bets on their own side which has distorted the bookies odds.
How many bigger city clubs are there in this league than us Swindon, Luton, Coventry only three I can think of?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
They wrote us off, who gives a f*ck, we're Cheltenham Town and we're going up.
Del Boy
Bookmakers take very little money on the League 2 outright market. There are certainly no huge bets distorting the odds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:Bookmakers take very little money on the League 2 outright market. There are certainly no huge bets distorting the odds.
Or equally, if they take very little money, it only takes one large bet to distort.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:Bookmakers take very little money on the League 2 outright market. There are certainly no huge bets distorting the odds.
Or equally, if they take very little money, it only takes one large bet to distort.
No it doesn't. For one, very few - if any - bookmakers would take a bet big enough to distort the odds on a market like this. No bookmaker would allow the market to be manipulated in that way.

League 2 outright market is so unimportant it's not worth getting hung up about the odds. And for those saying we should be much shorter you are missing one important point - anyone betting on Cheltenham in league two every year would have lost every year. Even in the successful days of Steve Cotts, John Ward, Mark Yates.

Having finished fourth from bottom last year we are hardly gonna be up with the favourites.
Robin
Exactly last season we started as one of the favourites and finished fourth bottom, Exeter were amongst the relegation favourites and lost the play off final. Odds mean little in this league as pretty much anyone can finish anywhere.
bigdavejambo
Lincoln will be the darkhorses. £2m FA Cup money to play with plus 4500 season tickets sold which will make a good transfer kitty.