Scotty isn't coming back

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Wycombe have changed their minds, apparently.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... ham-111174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Strange one really Wycombe clearly happy for him to come here then not, assume they failed to land Blackman and don't want to leave themselves short on a tight budget. Leaves us in a pickle though but I'd rather sign Dillon than Scotty if it's a realistic choice. Not sure about Flatt though at this level.
swellingsdownbelow
What about Lainton? Released from Bury....
Shade
swellingsdownbelow wrote:What about Lainton? Released from Bury....
Nah, causes too many injuries :P
Based on his one game, wouldn't be the worst signing. From what GJ's been saying, though, it sounds like another young loan is the way we'll be going.
asl
Can't say I'm overly disappointed. With all due respect to Scotty, I feel there must be better options - but I'm glad this has been determined in mid-June rather than a couple of days before the new season starts, like last year.
Robin
Why the fascination with Lainton, because he played one game on loan for us? I didn't watch him but was he really that good letting in three goals against an out of form Wycombe team...
swellingsdownbelow
Robin wrote:Why the fascination with Lainton, because he played one game on loan for us? I didn't watch him but was he really that good letting in three goals against an out of form Wycombe team...
Quite Robin, you didn't see him......end of analysis....
Fuller
Gary should have signed Scotty last summer when he was on a free ....... hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it would have saved a lot of hassle for sure.
Nesty
Im gutted
kags
Sign Dillon now...
I-Love-CTFC
Two shining lights from last season gone. I really hope GJ has some good signings up his sleeve.
Shade
Robin wrote:Why the fascination with Lainton, because he played one game on loan for us? I didn't watch him but was he really that good letting in three goals against an out of form Wycombe team...
Because he's available, will be fairly cheap, has indeed played for us before, and in that game had good reviews, so he's as much an option as anyone.
Rulistening
Massive blow if true. Just got to hope Johnson can find a gem out there if we aren't targeting Dillon (who i see as unrealistic). I see Lainton has been mentioned before and could go down that route.
swellingsdownbelow
Lainton should be one of a few on the radar. Has been released from Bury, so no fee, just wages.
slinky_dog
Trevor Carson?

He didn't fancy it the last time conference football was on offer.....
Shade
slinky_dog wrote:Trevor Carson?

Carson's already jumped the Hartlepool ship. Gone up to Motherwell.
swellingsdownbelow
If we are interested in Rob Lainton we could have to compete with Swindon. Their new boss Flitcroft was Bury manager and rated Lainton highly and only an injury denied the keeper of a very long run as first choice in League One.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... s-10349442
Ralph
Were the goals all down to him? There is a defence in front of him. Harsh just blaming the keeper
Ralph
slinky_dog wrote:Trevor Carson?

I would never of had him back as he just left us when we were down.

I'd go Dills or Flatty
swellingsdownbelow
Ralph wrote:Were the goals all down to him? There is a defence in front of him. Harsh just blaming the keeper
Perhaps Robin's gone to ask someone, who went to the game, if Lainton was to blame and, if in fact, we actually fielded a defence that day.. :D
Robin
I'd far rather use the fee from Billy Waters to try and sign Dillon than sign a player because he played one game for us. Equally Flatt was OK in the conference but I'm not convinced he would be what we need in league two.
Shade
Christ, it's not signing him 'because he played one game for us'. Someone mentioned him as he would be free and looked pretty decent for us in the game he played. The fact he's played one game for us means we know more about him than any keeper we're actually likely to sign and therefore he's worth a comment.

Tbh, I'd rather we signed a cheaper or free keeper that is decent with some promise of more, over one that is expensive and fantastic, and use what money we have available to strengthen other areas of the team.
horlickfanclub
Not another lets sign Dillon posting..He is on contract to a Div 1 club. He is likely to play more games this season . His career is hopefully going forwards not backwards. Get over Dillon please.
Ralph
Robin wrote:I'd far rather use the fee from Billy Waters to try and sign Dillon than sign a player because he played one game for us. Equally Flatt was OK in the conference but I'm not convinced he would be what we need in league two.
Flatt did great for us. Came in with a lot of pressure with us playing the title and got the job done. Would be a great signing
Another_FoD_Robin
With Robin's obvious displeasure of people mentioning Lainton. Shall we just give the number one jersey to Lovett or re-sign Cal? Both are cheap & not conceded while playing for us. :D :D :D
Johnsons Red Army
Flatty will do for me too. Sign him up!
Robin
Ralph wrote:
Robin wrote:I'd far rather use the fee from Billy Waters to try and sign Dillon than sign a player because he played one game for us. Equally Flatt was OK in the conference but I'm not convinced he would be what we need in league two.
Flatt did great for us. Came in with a lot of pressure with us playing the title and got the job done. Would be a great signing
Flatt did ok but rarely excelled in the conference Ralph he's nowhere near Scotty or Dillon which is the standard of keeper we need in my opinion.
horlickfanclub
Is Robin Dillons Dad ?
Artemis
Rob Lainton will do for me......I don't get this obsession with Phillips nor with loaning young keepers in. The goalkeeper is a key part of the side; we should have our own contracted number one, especially if we have a young lad in Rhys Lovett as our reserve.
Lord Elpuz
One would expect a degree of reticence by young Master Dillon regarding a willingness to return to Whaddon Road, simply because his former house compatriots have now left the club. He would know that the camaraderie he enjoyed with his pals during those halcyon days of non-League soccer, is now over.

Granted, he had a fine rapport with the Whaddon Road faithful, but would that be enough to tempt him back should the opportunity arise?
asl
Assuming he's got no family to think about, the only consideration he should have at his age is playing first team football at a club that has a realistic prospect of progression - some more promotions on his CV will look great. Cheltenham can satisfy the first criteria but I'm not yet convinced about the second.
Robin
The reality is Dillon will be 2nd choice at best at Charlton or he can come here (if we could agree a fee) be number one working with people he knows and trusts and if performing well either moves back to league one via a sale or ideally with CTFC in the next year or two.
Ralph
Robin wrote:
Ralph wrote:
Flatt did ok but rarely excelled in the conference Ralph he's nowhere near Scotty or Dillon which is the standard of keeper we need in my opinion.
Don't know what else he could do apart from what he did tbh. He helped keep us at the top of the pile, was winning games with us and got the job done. He did what he was paid to do and did it well as we won the league. Not sure what else you expect him to do to "excell" really.
Artemis
Change his name to Scott or better still, Dillon?
Robin
I hate going down this route but youbwould have needed to watch him play. Scott and Dillon would show their reflexes or distribution which Flatty did but not to the same level, Dillon commanded his box well, neither Scotty or Flatt did as another example.