Scotty isn't coming back

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I hate going down this route but youbwould have needed to watch him play.
What did you think of Lainton when you watched him play?
Robin
I have no opinion of Lainton but fail to see how people can want us to sign him on the basis of one game where he conceeded three against an team who were out of form.
Another_FoD_Robin
Correct me if I am wrong guys but aren't there 10 players normally infront of a goalkeeper or in our case against Wycombe for 60 minutes there were 9?

Also is Blackman an awful goalkeeper too Robin? After all he did concede three goals against us?

Anyway, I could go on defending Lainton & other goalkeepers for things. However Robin believes he's an awful keeper so we shouldn't even contemplate suggesting he's a potential number one. I guess we need to find a keeper who has not conceded more than one goal a game in his career and has never played for us. Good luck GJ!
Robin
Don't be silly I never said that, I questioned why people are fawning over a keeper who played once for us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I have no opinion of Lainton but fail to see how people can want us to sign him on the basis of one game where he conceeded three against an team who were out of form.
Or, they know about players who are potentially good signings based on track record (eg Dawson is an example). Do not think anyone is saying sign him based on one game - Gary will be scouting for the best affordable option. It might be Lainton it might not be.
Shade
Robin wrote:Don't be silly I never said that, I questioned why people are fawning over a keeper who played once for us.
I don't see anybody fawning over him. He was merely mentioned as a possibility because he's free and IS a decent keeper. The only resemblance of fawning has been in defence of the lad after you dismissed the idea and decided he's not worth it as he's played one match for us and conceded 3 goals in a freak game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Robin wrote:Don't be silly I never said that, I questioned why people are fawning over a keeper who played once for us.
I don't see anybody fawning over him. He was merely mentioned as a possibility because he's free and IS a decent keeper. The only resemblance of fawning has been in defence of the lad after you dismissed the idea and decided he's not worth it as he's played one match for us and conceded 3 goals in a freak game.
Don't expect Robin to grasp such complex nuance.
Robin
I didn't dismiss any idea, I challenged the why we should sign him for which nobody could offer any sensible response.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Because he is a good keeper and we have faith in Gary.
Another_FoD_Robin
Define a sensible response Robin? Is it something you have to agree with? What is so wrong about bounding his name around? How can you be so adamant he isn't what we need if you haven't even seen him play? Dare I ask what he's done to upset you apart from conceding three goals?

Please help us all who are struggling. Name three Goalkeepers you would demand GJ signs?
Robin
Quite simply he could be a good signing but equally he may not, none of us can judge. People are banding his name around solely because he played one game on emergency loan rather than anything else.

In terms of naming keepers I've said for some time Scotty and Dillon should be our top targets one won't be coming, one it appears is amongst those under consideration. Either way I'm sure there are enough decent keepers out there for GJ to find someone.
Another_FoD_Robin
So we aren't allowed to be impressed by his own game cameo considering he met the squad for ONE training session? If he was that bad a choice I'm sure GJ wouldn't of even considered bringing him in.

I'm pretty sure his name is also being banded as he's available and he didn't do himself any harm against Wycombe unless you want to be pendantic and say he injured Barts & conceded three goals. He also made a really good stop to keep us in the game from Kaschet. Also I'm sure he made one first half too.

Why can we not have an opinion without you saying he's not good enough? My personal view on one game is that he is potentially as good as Scotty.

However I am not GJ & I haven't seen him play more than one game and if it's a crime to write a different view then help us all!
Nesty
Another_FoD_Robin wrote:So we aren't allowed to be impressed by his own game cameo considering he met the squad for ONE training session? If he was that bad a choice I'm sure GJ wouldn't of even considered bringing him in.

I'm pretty sure his name is also being banded as he's available and he didn't do himself any harm against Wycombe unless you want to be pendantic and say he injured Barts & conceded three goals. He also made a really good stop to keep us in the game from Kaschet. Also I'm sure he made one first half too.

Why can we not have an opinion without you saying he's not good enough? My personal view on one game is that he is potentially as good as Scotty.

However I am not GJ & I haven't seen him play more than one game and if it's a crime to write a different view then help us all!

that bad eh? !!!!!!!!!!!!
Another_FoD_Robin
Yes that bad Nesty.....
Nesty
it reminds me of an old jape which went something like .......

Player A - Ive had enough, the gaffer has p*d me off big time
Player B - why what happened ?
Player A - he told me I was England class - I never thought I was that bad
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Quite simply he could be a good signing but equally he may not, none of us can judge. People are banding his name around solely because he played one game on emergency loan rather than anything else.

In terms of naming keepers I've said for some time Scotty and Dillon should be our top targets one won't be coming, one it appears is amongst those under consideration. Either way I'm sure there are enough decent keepers out there for GJ to find someone.
Like it or not Lainton is one of those keepers out there
Shade
At least we won't be signing Olejnik.
Robin
Surely he would have been a good signing for us, probably better than Scotty based upon experience alone.
Shade
Robin wrote: probably better than Scotty based upon experience alone.
How do you work that one out? Scott has over 250 EFL apps at L1 and L2 level and 38 for one of the top Scottish Prem teams. Olejnik has played more Scottish Prem games but at a lesser club and a 60 or 70 less games in the EFL.
Robin
I thought Olejnik played a fair bit in league one for Torquay and Peterborough but may be mistaken.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pretty even. Olejnik has around 226 league appearances in England, and as Robin says, 88 of this for Peterborough so at a higher level than L2. Arguably Peterborough could be viewed as a better level than Aberdeen.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/playe ... r_id=45034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I think Scott had about 50-55 or so games in L1. Either way, they've played around the same level most of their careers so I wouldn't have thought there is that much difference in experience.
dedwardp
Lainton has signed for Port Vale.
Another_FoD_Robin
Yeah we saw mate. Certain characters will be pleased to see he didn't sign for us...... So the search continues......