New stand ... start saving

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40632879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other footie really but could we help fund improvements to the (whatever it is now called) terrace at the Prestbury Road end maybe ?

Just a thought ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I see they have a Football Foundation grant.

As I remember from past club statements, those grants are only available for cantilever design stands/terraces. And we can't build one at that end of the ground due to the stream/culvert.

Better to focus on raising money for a new main stand.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I see they have a Football Foundation grant.

As I remember from past club statements, those grants are only available for cantilever design stands/terraces. And we can't build one at that end of the ground due to the stream/culvert.

I don't understand the argument about the culvert /stream. If man can build a bridge over the Severn estuary then surely he is quite capable of building a stand across a little culvert/stream in Whaddon.
Robin
Given that our new stand is likely to cost in the region of £5million I'm not sure fan donations will make that much of a dent but no reason why we cannot participate once we have a plan.
theidlerich
Better to see such a grant going towards some new forwards :) !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:

I don't understand the argument about the culvert /stream. If man can build a bridge over the Severn estuary then surely he is quite capable of building a stand across a little culvert/stream in Whaddon.
I don't know. I am not an engineer - just repeating what the club have stated in the past. I assume because of the way cantilevers are built. A non-cantilever stand is possible to build over the stream, but these are not eligible for Football Foundation grants.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Red Duke wrote:

I don't know. I am not an engineer - just repeating what the club have stated in the past. I assume because of the way cantilevers are built. A non-cantilever stand is possible to build over the stream, but these are not eligible for Football Foundation grants.
It sounds to me an excuse to avoid doing something dressed up as 3B's.
everyman
Red Duke wrote:

It`s not an engineering problem,more a financial one !
Jerry St Clair
I don't believe Football Foundation grants are available for terraces at all? Morecambe had to fund their stadium entirely without grants because it has terracing, IIRC.

Does the new stand remove the last bit of terracing at Stevenage? If so, I absolutely don't understand why their fans would support this. I firmly believe supporters should have the option of standing at football matches.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:I don't believe Football Foundation grants are available for terraces at all? Morecambe had to fund their stadium entirely without grants because it has terracing, IIRC.

Does the new stand remove the last bit of terracing at Stevenage? If so, I absolutely don't understand why their fans would support this. I firmly believe supporters should have the option of standing at football matches.
I completely agree. I hope that WR never becomes all-seater.
Robin
I'd prefer to keep a terrace behind the goal but believe we need more seats so the new main stand (hopefully 3000+) must be all seater.
horlickfanclub
Who will sit in those seats?
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Who will sit in those seats?
Ours fans Horlick :roll: :roll: We have sold out home seating on a reasonably regular basis to clearly justify we need more availability for bigger games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Who will sit in those seats?
3,000 people when we have a big Cup game etc.

3,000 when there is a big away following.

2,000 when we have a big league game.

1,500 when we have a normal league game.

Your point?
Shade
I hope our stadium becomes all-seater when we're in the Premier League, before safe standing is rolled out :P