May's Brexit Address this Friday

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote:When there are rumours that your job is in danger you have to cream off all the bonuses you can and a nice trip to Italy is a good start. As far as the £20m payment goes if they can persuade the fat cats to pay some tax to cover it, then it's not that bad an idea. I won't hold my breath on them actually paying something to the exchequer though.
You are a few zeros short: £20bn not £20m

Still, all will be revealed in a few hours, and no doubt no one will be pleased.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fecking 'ell.

Platitudes and cliches and campaign sound-bites. Her plan for NI border....to paraphrase...."we want to come up with a solution which works"
Malabus
Well that was a waste of time. She is sucking up Juncker and turning her back on leavers, the intellectuals of Britain, 52% of us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Well that was a waste of time. She is sucking up Juncker and turning her back on leavers, the intellectuals of Britain, 52% of us.
Yup, the only sound coming through the waffle was the sound of the can being kicked down the road. Two years of transition during which we'll try and work out what to do, and it will be fine and amazing as well all want what's best. Maybe the plan is that in two years time a chunk of Leave voters will have died off and teenagers will be of voting age and she can cancel Brexit.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote:Well that was a waste of time. She is sucking up Juncker and turning her back on leavers, the intellectuals of Britain, 52% of us.
Maybe the plan is that in two years time a chunk of Leave voters will have died off and teenagers will be of voting age and she can cancel Brexit.
Great idea!

Perhaps the second referendum (in this scenario) will be campaigned on facts this time and not lies (see £350m/week to NHS bus as one major example).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Maybe the plan is that in two years time a chunk of Leave voters will have died off and teenagers will be of voting age and she can cancel Brexit.
Great idea!

Perhaps the second referendum (in this scenario) will be campaigned on facts this time and not lies (see £350m/week to NHS bus as one major example).
What about the muslims making our bananas a funny shape?
kora
Have you been reading Mal's version of the Mail again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johnsons Red Army
Can't say I heard that one to be honest.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Still, good to see the PM giving Jeremy Corbyn and Keir Starmer's amendments an airing.
confused.com
I wish once and for all certain members of teh EU would stop chipping in about Ireland, the peace process , the boarder etc. Quite a few of them were ominously quiet when it came to actually trying to help the situation in teh 60's.70's.80's 90's. So lets admit it they dont give a feck. Its just another issue fro them to stall on. Leave in 2019 and Ireland / UK will take care of themselves. Always have, don't need a Romainian / French / Belgium / Greman et al chipping in with something they know feck all about.
asl
confused.com wrote:Ireland / UK will take care of themselves. Always have
Yea, we've always been *really* good at that...
confused.com
Actually yes, free movement of people well before the EU thought about it. Excellent trading partners. Close cross boarder ties. Economic co operation. Think we are getting along just fine. Unless you are talking about the very small minority of terrorists?
asl
Pretty much talking about most of the last 150 years, actually. Thankfully, the bulk of The Troubles are behind us, but it'll take a generation or two to make the peace a lasting one - once Adams and his cronies are in the ground and people forget about beatifying McGuinness.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
UK and Ireland get on well and as Confused.com says have a unique free movement of people arrangement and trade relationship.

The fact that Belfast has walls and fences acting as a hard border between communities is a different issue to the the open border between UK and Ireland.
confused.com
Sadly the 'peace wall' is longer and higher now that it was at the GFA. A lasting testimony to Mr Blair's lies and deceit, all n order to feel the hand of history on his shoulder. Leaving a job half done, that will never work. The fact it will never work, suits one particular party, while leaving all others in dismay
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is there a viable solution in your view confused?

I wonder if we could not just take all the walls etc down and see if people are capable of living normally without killing each other.

Or have an NI referendum - do they want to unite with Ireland post-Brexit, or stay in the GB + NI union and risk having a hard-border with Ireland.

Then the losing side, as people keep saying, will have to deal with it and move on.
Shade
That's not asking for trouble at all, is it. You know the level of agro that has been on display in mainland GB since the Brexit referendum, so why would you do that in a powder keg like Belfast?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:That's not asking for trouble at all, is it. You know the level of agro that has been on display in mainland GB since the Brexit referendum, so why would you do that in a powder keg like Belfast?
Can't make big delicious omelette without obliterating a few eggs.
confused.com
RCS, sadly I can see no solution in the even distant future. I lived in murder mile in Belfast for over 20 yeras, we're the wall splits alternating streets along the road. The distrust today is just as bad as it was in the 70's. The walls stop them easily killing eachother and make the PSNI job easier. The silent majority on both sides who I believe want to maintain the UK link are constantly driven to vote for people they would cross the street to avoid. Any time it looks like progress, another red herring is produced. This time it is the Irish language act, the thing to not lose sigy off is that these are british citizens in the large and the majority want to remain that way, irrespective of their religion
confused.com
RCS, as for brexit. A good proportion of the unionist population voted remain as did a good proportion of the nationalist population. However it would be very foolish to presume that it can in anyway be translated into a UI vote. The 'Cathoilic' vote is not a monolithic creature, whereas by and large the protestant vote is. There is a proportion of NI catholics that wish to kiss the Irish tricolour but by no means a vast majority. The educated middle classes by and large prefer the status quo as far as UK is concerned. The UI that SF offers appeals to very few
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I'm not talking about religion per se, so pleased to learn from your insight on above. Personally I don't know why people are against the language act. My cousins learned Welsh at school when that was made compulsory, and I like seeing Welsh, Cornish, Scots Gaelic surviving and thriving.

Interesting to see though that in June 2017 general election, SF and SDLP combined had 41.1% of the vote, whereas the DUP and UUP combined had 46.3%, which is why I assumed a referendum on a UI would be quite close.

The other thing I always wonder, is what proportion of NI Brexit voters would rather have a hard border with Ireland than stay in the Customs Union?

The fact that NI voted Remain alongside Scotland and London of course led to the joke... "An Englishman, Scottishman and Northern Irishman walk into a bar. The Englishman says we're leaving."
confused.com
Irish language act is purely there to be devisive. The Rep of Ireland have thrown millions after millions in trying to promote the language in the south with no success. I believe approx 1.75 % are irish speakers. So why does SF think it will be any more widely accepted in NI? There are much better things to be spending money on than that. Your liking it to Welsh Cornish etc is a common mistake. I don't think any Welsh politician wants it enshrined that all jobs must have a % of Welsh speakers. This is what SF want. So the conclusion is that you would have to have a percentage of your workforce who are irish speakers. Totally insane and only there to force the DUP etc into taking a position that makes them look intolerant. With all things SF the devil is in the detail, not the media headlines
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:Irish language act is purely there to be devisive. The Rep of Ireland have thrown millions after millions in trying to promote the language in the south with no success. I believe approx 1.75 % are irish speakers. So why does SF think it will be any more widely accepted in NI? There are much better things to be spending money on than that. Your liking it to Welsh Cornish etc is a common mistake. I don't think any Welsh politician wants it enshrined that all jobs must have a % of Welsh speakers. This is what SF want. So the conclusion is that you would have to have a percentage of your workforce who are irish speakers. Totally insane and only there to force the DUP etc into taking a position that makes them look intolerant. With all things SF the devil is in the detail, not the media headlines
Oh, yes, job quotas is insane and must not be adopted. If only both parties could compromise they could start teaching in schools, then over decades change signs to dual language and the BBC can open an Irish language TV channel.

Interestingly though in Wales, the language requirements can be onerous. As most of Wales is funded by EU ERDF money, there is a requirement for third party evaluations for every project funded. No consultancy or research company can win a project to deliver evaluations without a Welsh-speaker on the team, as all public sector funded research surveys/interviews/focus have to be delivered in Welsh if the respondent asks for it. And producing dual language reports usually adds a couple of £k to design and publication costs. So aspects of the legislation is frustrating.

On the topic of Brexit and NI, the Bombardier issue is interesting. Obviously the Government we dumb enough to think swallowing Trump's load would be the answer to the UK's post-Brexit trade, and low and behold America First is now threatening a huge amount of jobs and £GVA in NI. Lets see if May, Fox, Boris et al do anything to question dotard and defend NI, or, sacrifice a chunk of the NI economy in return for cheap chlorinated chicken.
confused.com
Ah you have much to learn young skywalker. Irish is freely covered in schools. There are exclusively spraking irish primary schools. There are exclusively speaking irish secondary schools. All paid for out of public funds. Irish language act is to stir things up. Nothing more
asl
Most of my in-laws live An Gaeltacht and the younger generation (under 30's) are all fluent in the language. My wife and all but two of her siblings (umm...over 30's, let's say...) barely have a word of it. Interesting that you say such a low percentage speak it.
confused.com
My reference was taken from the Irish Times. Am pretty sure they would not have an agenda. I would presume given where your in-laws live they would speak irish. However that is a very small percentage of the population
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thanks for the education both. SF can feck off on this one.