RCS Relegation Round-up

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another 3 goals at home and it is clear we are top half bound or better, so we can start to talk confidently about the teams below and around us who we are going to pull away from over the coming weeks.

Way lives to fight another day at Yeovil. Having thrown away a 2-0 lead at Chesterfield, a 90th minute winner secures the points for relegation contenders Yeovil. This leaves Chesterfield in the mire, though surely they will get out of it.

Another floundering team, Port Vale, lose at home to over achieving Accrington. Again, surely Vale are too big to go down?

Another team with a good recent history and good stadium, Colchester, get a draw vs Grimsby to inch away from the dotted line. Another team surely too decent to drop.

With Vale, Chesterfield and Colchester likely to improve, perennial good starters and poor finishers Morecambe are in trouble. Their usual slide down the table from October onwards has already started, and a goalless draw at home leaves them the first target of the three better teams below.

Crawley, Crewe and Carlisle are flirting, but I make Morecambe favourites to finish 23rd and join bottom side FGR in the National League next season.
Robin
I know you are on a wind up but I don't believe FGR will go down, I'd still go with Crawley and Yeovil at this stage but no reason Vale can't go given Tranmere and Orient have in recent years.
Shade
Vale will improve when they get a new boss and pull clear. They'll be the annual early strugglers that end up well safe or challenging for play-offs (unless that's us). As RCS says, Morecambe usually have most of their points by now so I think it may be their season to bite it.
drgm
I would love it, LOVE IT, if Mark Cooper keeps his job as FGR manager. Fingers crossed...
Shade
drgm wrote:I would love it, LOVE IT, if Mark Cooper keeps his job as FGR manager. Fingers crossed...
:lol: what I was thinking when I heard an FGR fan tweet in to Radio Glos saying Cooper is out of his depth :lol:
Robin
It would be extremely harsh in my opinion if they sack him this early, like us last year their summer recruitment was terrible and I doubt other managers would get better out of that team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Cooper stays we can pick up KMB on loan or free in January. The arrogant charlatan wide boy Cooper obviously isn't going to play him again,
mozzo
It's not all bad news on the hill, OTC will be ecstatic that Cambridge had 3500 attendance tonight to boost FGR's average crowd stats.
Sprout Picker
mozzo wrote:It's not all bad news on the hill, OTC will be ecstatic that Cambridge had 3500 attendance tonight to boost FGR's average crowd stats.
:) I was just about to ask what the Cambridge crowd was for that very reason!
King giraffe iii
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Cooper stays we can pick up KMB on loan or free in January. The arrogant charlatan wide boy Cooper obviously isn't going to play him again,
Love the description of Cooper. Sums him up. Had enough of him now.
asl
mozzo wrote:It's not all bad news on the hill, OTC will be ecstatic that Cambridge had 3500 attendance tonight to boost FGR's average crowd stats.
Fair play: that made me :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morecambe losing at home to Crawley. The Shrimps there for the taking if any of the bottom three can scrape some points from somewhere. Currently Chesterfield on for a hammering, 2-0 down at Lincoln.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Of the five main contenders, only FGR secure a rare point.

Chesterfield and Port Vale both lose.

Morecambe in one of the worst results of the season to lose at home to Crawley, and ‘Arry can’t do anything to stop another Yeovil defeat.

I still expect Vale and Chesterfield to get a grip and climb, so FGR, Morecambe and Yeovil looking like the bottom three. Crawley, Crewe and Barnet to flirt with but never get stuck in the mire.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As stated earlier in this thread, Vale’s cruise to mid table has begun.

Only surprise today was Chesterfield losing at home to Morecambe. Whilst predicted that Chesterfield, like Vale are in no real danger of a relegation fight, losing at home to Morecambe is a real concern for any club with football league aspirations.

Morecambe live to fight another day with that win. As do Yeovil who beat Crewe to leave the Railwaymen in danger.

The RCS prediction is still that Morecambe will be the team most likely to come 23rd, with Yeovil, Crewe, Crawley and Barnet the teams they will hope to overtake. But Chesterfield need to get a grip before too long or else they will become part of the relegation conversation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Two more for Pope as Vale win 3-0 away to start their cruise to safety. Albeit against lowly Morecambe.

Chesterfield win 2-0 away. Is it the start of the predicted revival? Whether it is or not, it spells bad news for their opponents, Crawley, who after another defeat, look in dire straits, but not as nailed on as Morecambe look.

Shock of the week is FGR winning away at Coventry. Note it was KMB who scored. Cooper had frozen him out and wanted him gone, but has eaten humble pie and brought him back in for the greater good and low and behold he scores. Likely to be just a blip however and FGR still looking likely to be finishing in the bottom two with Morecambe.

Barnet and Crewe both scrabbling for a point or three, are down there but showing fight. Prediction still remains they will be in the bottom five or six but never in real danger.

Way may have thought getting Redknapp in would give him a stay of execution, but not looking like it will. Way and Skiverton have to go, or else Yeovil will risk one of Morecambe or FGR pipping them to safety.
Robin
Yeovil still my tip for the drop and I suspect one from Morecambe and Crawley to go with them.
Shade
I see that Coventry were so bad against FGR that a fan ran on to the pitch to give some of the players a piece of his mind. Maybe not an FGR revival but just Coventry being awful?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, like at Notts C I suspect the majority of FGR's points will come away against top sides, who approach the game with two much complacency and not enough energy. Hopefully now teams will learn and approach the games with more concentration and intensity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Another Pope goal and another Vale win. Away at high flying Exeter.

Vale aren't going down, and won't be mentioned in this thread again.

Chesterfield looking rotten but not yet written off. Still think they are too good to go down.

Morecambe are dead-certs for a return to non-league.

FGR win again. Making a fist of things and may well finish not bottom.

Morecambe going down. FGR battling with Yeovil, with Barnet and Crawley. Chesterfield may yet feature in the battle but I can't see it.
little mo
RCS, you keep saying Chesterfield too good to go down but when we beat them i thought they had a lot of not just poor players, but a few were awful. They will have to get recruitment right in Jan or they will go. They just might be too far adrift by then though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hence still keeping Chesterfield featured in the debate.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Six pointer in the L2 basement today as Morecambe travel to The New Lawn.

I am fully expecting an FGR win which would send Morecambe into the bottom two where they will remain all season.

A Morecambe win and Cooper must be sacked before 5pm - would be a disgusting result for any team wishing to remain in League football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Marsh-Brown puts FGR ahead. What an absolute imbecilic fool Cooper is. Inexplicably froze KMB out and tried to force him out of the club during the window. When they had run out of options for survival he eats humble pie and relents to common sense and brings KMB back. Keanu then scores the winner at the Ricoh, assists in the last game and scores again. They could easily have 7 or 9 points had Cooper not put personality before club and played KMB - their best player - from day one rather than being a stubborn ego.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morecambe are down.

Chesterfield clinging to coat tails with a draw at home.

Yeovil stun Stevenage but not out of trouble and still there to be caught as FGR and Chesterfield improve.

Crewe, Crawley, Barnet all do poorly today to further the their relegation credentials.

No change from last week.
Robin
Morecambe were a lot better than both Yeovil and Crawley when we played them but time may well catch up this season. No reason Chesterfield cannot go down but I suspect they'll get out of it eventually and either Barnet or Yeovil will go back to non-league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chesterfield start their revival? A 2-2 draw away at Swindon.

But actually find themselves further adrift after a coupon busting shock 2-1 win for Morecambe vs Wycombe (which brought us a point closer to top 7).

Barnet lose at home and drop into the bottom two. FGR end their good run with a dire draw at relegation rivals Crawley and a Way special for Yeovil as they go down 4-0 at Carlisle.

Crewe looking more and more like they will get dragged into it, with a 1-4 loss to Lincoln at homecoming.

Morecambe still the RCS favourites for the drop, with Barnet, FGR, Crewe and Crawley all scrabbling for survival. Yeovil are poor and look relegation fodder at times, but they do pull out the odd good result and with 19 points already they should survive.
Robin
If I had to bet my money would be on Morecambe and Yeovil right now but Barnet could yet feature.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chesterfield revival gathering pace: they beat high flying Exeter. Spireites still bottom but closing on the teams above.

Barnet lose to another Pope goal to stay in the relegation area. Looking ominous for Barnet.

The relegation six pointer saw FGR looking on course to an horrendous result - perhaps the worst of the season - as they were 2-1 down at home to Crewe going into the last five minutes. Two late goals saw the villagers win 3-2, leaving Crewe reflecting on a dire result which leaves them one place ahead of the bottom three.

Crawley also in dire straits after a 4-0 rinsing at Wycombe.

Morecambe get a draw, and Yeovil's hit and miss form sees them go down 2-1 to Swindon after leading 1-0 at the break.

So, nearly time to remove Chesterfield and FGR from this thread.

Two of Crewe, Crawley, Barnet and Morecambe to drop. None will be missed. But Yeovil, FGR and Chesterfield still in the conversation for now.
Shade
FGR will soon have tougher games than Stevenage, Morecambe, Crawley and Crewe (their last 4 league games). They've done well to win them, and I know they had a couple of good results against top 6 sides that were complacent before that, but they'll get a few beatings again shortly. Starting on Saturday, hopefully - but they face Chesterfield tomorrow night. One could see it as another easy fixture in a very generous run of confidence building games for them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:FGR will soon have tougher games than Stevenage, Morecambe, Crawley and Crewe (their last 4 league games). They've done well to win them, and I know they had a couple of good results against top 6 sides that were complacent before that, but they'll get a few beatings again shortly. Starting on Saturday, hopefully - but they face Chesterfield tomorrow night. One could see it as another easy fixture in a very generous run of confidence building games for them.
Chesterfield will win the match. Last two results vs Swindon and Exeter have been decent.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A feeding frenzy at the bottom. Shocks galore.

Yeovil draw with County. Barnet victorious in Newport and Crawley turn Exeter over.

Meanwhile the two basement battles were telling. In the Dennis and Doidge show Chesterfield were cruising 2-0, before FGR got a man sent off. Turned into a nervy 3-2 in the end, Dennis' goal enough to counter two from Doidge. One or both of these players will surely be snapped up by more successful sides in January. Verdict: FGR show the spirit which may well keep them up. Chesterfield show the quality which will keep them up. Just one more win and Chesterfield will be removed from this relegation discussion.

In the other dual, a game low in attendance, crowds and league quality was won late on by a man low in letters. Ng scoring on 85 mins to send the Railwaymen home to Cheshire with three points from the Lancashire coast. One has to feel that whichever side lost this gutter slug-out is not deserving of league football next season. Morecambe, as stated weeks ago, are nailed on for the drop.

Ignoring Chesterfield and Vale, three points separate Barnet from Crawley, with Crewe, FGR, Yeovil and Morecambe between them. Looking very much like two from those six. With Morecambe nailed on and FGR with Doidge, it is starting to look like a fist fight between Crawley, Crewe, Barnet and Yeovil to avoid second bottom.

Personally I hope it is Crawley. Six years since they bought their way into the FL (incurring three sets of points deductions prior to doing so). A grubby new money club, and about time they went through way of Rushden, Histon and the rest of them.
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:A feeding frenzy at the bottom. Shocks galore.

Yeovil draw with County. Barnet victorious in Newport and Crawley turn Exeter over.

Meanwhile the two basement battles were telling. In the Dennis and Doidge show Chesterfield were cruising 2-0, before FGR got a man sent off. Turned into a nervy 3-2 in the end, Dennis' goal enough to counter two from Doidge. One or both of these players will surely be snapped up by more successful sides in January. Verdict: FGR show the spirit which may well keep them up. Chesterfield show the quality which will keep them up. Just one more win and Chesterfield will be removed from this relegation discussion.

In the other dual, a game low in attendance, crowds and league quality was won late on by a man low in letters. Ng scoring on 85 mins to send the Railwaymen home to Cheshire with three points from the Lancashire coast. One has to feel that whichever side lost this gutter slug-out is not deserving of league football next season. Morecambe, as stated weeks ago, are nailed on for the drop.

Ignoring Chesterfield and Vale, three points separate Barnet from Crawley, with Crewe, FGR, Yeovil and Morecambe between them. Looking very much like two from those six. With Morecambe nailed on and FGR with Doidge, it is starting to look like a fist fight between Crawley, Crewe, Barnet and Yeovil to avoid second bottom.

Personally I hope it is Crawley. Six years since they bought their way into the FL (incurring three sets of points deductions prior to doing so). A grubby new money club, and about time they went through way of Rushden, Histon and the rest of them.
927 in attendance at Morecambe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
927 is pathetic for a League fixture. They must go down.
Chris FGR
Just looked at the bottom of the table, never realised you only had 23 points! At this rate you'll be joining us in the relegation battle.
MittonRobin
How we are not included in this list is beyond me. 6 points from it guys. :?: