Sutton

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Sutton keep up their miraculous form and get promoted to the League, will they have to change their pitch to grass, or will the artificial be allowed?
Shade
I would have thought their ground would be deemed unfit for the League, but who knows. The powers that be make it up as they go along.
leohoenig
There are three* clubs with artificial surfaces in the National League, and there has been quite a debate on the nonleague matters forum about rules and such
http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum ... ost=831188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of the three, Maidstone United are the most likely to end the season in a promotion/play-off position
*three mentioned there, I'm not certain if Maidenhead were intending the change as well
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheers Leo. Also answers my own internal question about the dashed lines on the BBC league tables. I didn't know that 2nd-7th would be in the play-offs - interesting to see.

My view is they should let Sutton or whoever into L2 and change the rules to allow L1 and L2 to have artificial pitches, which CTFC should then immediately take advantage of.
leohoenig
Its my view as well, but I believe it is not the club's view, and that they have voted against artificial pitches in the past
Johnsons Red Army
Out of interest, why would you both opt for artificial surface over grass?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Out of interest, why would you both opt for artificial surface over grass?
My main reasons, once the technology is such it doesn't increase injury are:

1. Better quality of football all year round as no games ruined by mud or standing water; better for players and fans
2. No games called off due to inclement weather; better for club and fans
3. Can play reserve games, youth games and women's team game without pitch wear; better for players, club and fans
4. Can rent out the pitch on evenings and non match-days to to 5-a-side teams, local Sunday league teams for training, corporate games, etc; better for club finances.

Newcastle Falcons rugby are one of the few Premier League Rugby Union teams to have an artificial pitch. In recent years they have been struggling with low gates, scrappy games, and just avoiding relegation. Since the pitch has been installed, the rugby is higher scoring and more exciting, the team have won more, and gates have increased a fair bit.

I know it is not football, but the principle is the same: an improvement in quality of play leads to higher gates, and higher gates lead to increased revenue, etc.

We could still be getting money from Gloucester for example if we had an artificial pitc, and it would be profitable as all of their rent would not be spent on pitch repairs or lost due to crowds falling as the pitch deteriorates.
leohoenig
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 2. No games called off due to inclement weather; better for club and fans
If only this were true - I have recently seen two games on artificial pitches with standing water on the pitch
Back in the early QPR plastic days, a match was off due to ice on the pitch
Games with spectators still get called off if the surrounds are not safe
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 2. No games called off due to inclement weather; better for club and fans
If only this were true - I have recently seen two games on artificial pitches with standing water on the pitch
Back in the early QPR plastic days, a match was off due to ice on the pitch
Games with spectators still get called off if the surrounds are not safe
Ok, fewer games.