FA Cup...eye on the draw

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
4th qualifying draw has been made - who takes your fancy?

No Shire teams have made it this far, so the biggest derby would be vs Hereford if they progress, with sides from south of the border like Paulton and Bath still in the cup too.

A trip away to East Anglia, Kent, Essex or East Sussex would be a trip we could do with out.

From a selfish point of view, South Shields, Shildon, Gateshead, Hartlepool are all still in it and would be an easy trip for me, and Harrogate would be a lovely day out to another Spa town with splendid architecture.

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/fixtures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
A team full of plumbers from anywhere, at home, will do nicely for us and them.
Blakey 9
hereford away.
Johnsons Red Army
Hopefully someone easy as I can't attend the 1st round game so hoping we make it through to round 2 (at least).
Robin
The Hairyturds for a proper derby and likely TV would be my pick but round 1 and 2 is all about getting through to face the big boys so any winnable game will do.
Shade
Not Tamworth or Sutton away then, eh...
Robin
Shade wrote:Not Tamworth or Sutton away then, eh...
Rather them than a top league one side Shade.
asl
No shame in going out to a top league 1 side, though...
Nesty
Hereford please = guaranteed BBC cup money
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:Hereford please = guaranteed BBC cup money
The Trust could run a sweepstake on how many times Radford is shown. Maybe Motty would decide to do the commentary, and retire in Edgar Street where it all started.
Shade
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:Not Tamworth or Sutton away then, eh...
Rather them than a top league one side Shade.
I dunno, our Round 1 and 2 win percentage against League 1 sides is probably better than against non-league sides in the last 10 years - just a guess before anyone jumps down my throat.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We have certainly turned a few L1 sides over.

Am I correct in saying Blackburn are the only L1 side we have never played a competitive fixture against?
Si Robin
You are correct RCS, we did draw them in 1992 in the FA Cup, but that was when we lost the replay to Bournemouth.

That would actually be a dream draw for me as I have a lot if family who are Rovers fans, so would be a great family get together.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:You are correct RCS, we did draw them in 1992 in the FA Cup, but that was when we lost the replay to Bournemouth.

That would actually be a dream draw for me as I have a lot if family who are Rovers fans, so would be a great family get together.
Ewood Park would be a good day out and no reason we couldn't go and win there with the likes of Sellars and Eisa capitalising on the bigger pitch to tear Rovers apart.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
4th Qual round this weekend.

South Shields vs Hartlepool sold out for the biggest game in the Mariners' history. Be nigh on 3,500 Sand Dancers at Mariners Park to see Shields try and make the First Round Proper for the first time, in their first ever season in the Northern Premier League.

Keeping up the good record of when Northern League teams doing well on the occasions where they are allowed by the authorities to go up into the Northern Premier, currently sitting 2nd in the Northern Premier North and looking set to follow Spennymoor and Darlington (reformed) from Northern League to National League.
Artemis
To be fair RCS, historically Northern League clubs haven't wanted to go into the much more geographically dispersed Northern Premier League
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:To be fair RCS, historically Northern League clubs haven't wanted to go into the much more geographically dispersed Northern Premier League
True, and of course when the non-league pyramid was formalised with leagues being feeder league into the Conference, the Northern League refused to join because they thought they were the best amateur league and didn't want to be brought down to everyone else's level, only years later to come begging back to the FA to join the pyramid - and made to do so at a lower level. Still paying the price for their decision now.

Gates hold up pretty well though - comparable to National North and South.
Artemis
Indeed, and which is a shame, because of gates and quality of the football, evidenced by the success of the promoted clubs

Anyway, whilst you might be pleased to get a northern league outfit in the 1st round, I doubt CTFC or the vast majority of supporters would. Newcastle or Sunderland in the 3rd round would be much more like it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Indeed, and which is a shame, because of gates and quality of the football, evidenced by the success of the promoted clubs

Anyway, whilst you might be pleased to get a northern league outfit in the 1st round, I doubt CTFC or the vast majority of supporters would. Newcastle or Sunderland in the 3rd round would be much more like it.
Quite. Easy home game in R1 for the best.
Artemis
Although an "easy" game in the 1st round hasn't often panned out that way in the recent past.........

A western or southern league team at home would be the dream ticket to round 2, although at home, on current form, I'd fancy this current side against anyone in the competition.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Although an "easy" game in the 1st round hasn't often panned out that way in the recent past.........

A western or southern league team at home would be the dream ticket to round 2, although at home, on current form, I'd fancy this current side against anyone in the competition.
Hereford or Poulton would be good.
Artemis
As above, yes Hereford would be good.

We've played Poulton in a cup game at WR before. They had a distinctly tubby keeper as I remember.
Artemis
Again, Google to my rescue.

3rd Qualifying Round, 11th October 1997
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Again, Google to my rescue.

3rd Qualifying Round, 11th October 1997
Start of the famous run ending in the 3rd Round at Reading. Can still remember, with tingling spine and neck hairs on end, the Radio Glos commentary of Clive Walker's equaliser, and almost-second equaliser off the post.

Hearing 2,500 Robins and just as many Royals cheering SC's men after the match and you just knew we were destined for great things.

Let's hope Gary and the team can produce a moment to match that at some point this season.

Bloody love the Cup.
Artemis
Despite being in the Conference, we started the campaign at the 1st qualifying stage. Away at Thatcham. A game I recall well, not least for the scrappy only and winning goal which Dale Watkins seemed to score with his arse.

A great and most memorable season. Possibly my favourite of all time.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Despite being in the Conference, we started the campaign at the 1st qualifying stage. Away at Thatcham. A game I recall well, not least for the scrappy only and winning goal which Dale Watkins seemed to score with his arse.

A great and most memorable season. Possibly my favourite of all time.
His arse was quite sizeable. By no means in the same scale as Hayles or Naylor, but noticeably large. Glad he scored with it to get our campaign going that year.
Artemis
.......Gavin Caines......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:.......Gavin Caines......
Supersize
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hyde and Heybridge Swifts the two lowest ranked teams guaranteed to be in Round 1, both from the 8th tier. Ossett Town of level 8 have a replay.

Paulton lose and Bath draw, but Hereford and Kidderminster both through to Round 1.

Paulton of Level 8 almost cause the biggest upset of the round, losing 2-3 to Sutton. Similar story for South Shields who after leading 1-0 at the break lost 2-1 to Hartlepool.

Hereford are the RCS team of the round, with an impressive win 2-1 away at Eastleigh.

Hereford, of tier 7, would be great home draw for Cheltenham.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We are ball 12 tomorrow. Draw live on BBC 2.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2017/october/ ... aw-number/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Almost guaranteed TV matches for Hereford and Kiddie, then, unless they pull out the least interesting ties in the first round.
Robin
Why Kiddie? I think the'yd have to draw us or Walsall or a big league one team to capture interest. Hairyturd will always get the cameras due to the giant killing exploits and if we drew them I'd say it's a given to be on TV given local derby and history.
Shade
Because Kiddie are as much, if not more, of a traditional giant killing team than anyone. Well, maybe not giant killing, but progressing to later rounds that they had no right to reach.
asl
Yeovil hold some kind of record, don't they? Most league scalps by a non-league team or summat similar?
Nesty
asl wrote:Yeovil hold some kind of record, don't they? Most league scalps by a non-league team or summat similar?
At one time I think the record holders were Altrincham - maybe Leo might know