Thoughts on tonight

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benctfc
Very disapointing result and imo we got what we deserved nothing. Fair play to Grimsby they came with a game plan to sit deep and stop us getting in behind and it worked Slade out though GJ tonight.

Cranston was appaling first half and cost us 2 goals losing Dembele twice D'OS should be starting on Saturday. The subs were baffling not sure why D'OS was brought on for an attacking player when we were 2 goals down made no sense. Hinds was wasted being brought on too late and made a big impact I would also give him a go on Sat instead of Sellars who needs to work on his final ball he's not contributing enough in the final third. Flinders made some decent saves to keep us in it but other than him I can't really say anyone else played well Graham I assume wasn't fit enough but another who has to start on Saturday and keep Wright as an impact sub which is all he should be doing at this level. Saturday will be interestingg to see if this is just a blip or a return to the poor start we had.
Robin
Cranston? Thought he was superb tonight and easily the best of the defenders, yes he got done a couple of times but Moore and Grimes were criminal in the centre back slots for the second and third goals.

Think you are being very harsh personally I thought Cranston, Pell, Morrell had very good games, Wright struggled most of the game, can't fault his effort but he just doesn't win enough headers and he lacks the guile Graham has - of course easy to say that in hindsight but just don't see why he's starting. Nobody seems to mention the switch to 4-4-2 costing us tonight because we looked well out of sorts with it especially with no holding midfielder until Nige came on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Cranston? Thought he was superb tonight and easily the best of the defenders, yes he got done a couple of times but Moore and Grimes were criminal in the centre back slots for the second and third goals.

Think you are being very harsh personally I thought Cranston, Pell, Morrell had very good games, Wright struggled most of the game, can't fault his effort but he just doesn't win enough headers and he lacks the guile Graham has - of course easy to say that in hindsight but just don't see why he's starting. Nobody seems to mention the switch to 4-4-2 costing us tonight because we looked well out of sorts with it especially with no holding midfielder until Nige came on.
What on earth were Stoz doing if we had no holding mid?
Robin
He was injured I assume RCS.

We went 4-4-2 in the first half then switched to 4-3-3 in the 2nd half when we dominated.
Jon Palmer
Full recap here: http://bit.ly/GrimsbyTownHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lord Elpuz
A better second half but it was a mountain to climb. We missed Stoz for his leadership. The rebuild from January and in the summer was required to replace Vanarama players and to beef up the squad so that we didn’t get bullied this season. Tonight however v Grimsby our midfield looked too small and too light weight with Sellars, Morrell and Dawson as a unit, with only Harry Pell with any physical presence. Individually each of those smaller players have ability, but when they are all playing in the same team we don’t look like we are going to boss the game in midfield. This left Pell with too much to do defensively and it meant the defence was overworked from the off because we were not in control of the middle of the park. I lost count of the amount of times we gave the ball away cheaply down our right flank in the first half, where our attacking threat was completely nullified. We were too slow to adapt to the fact that tactically it was not working. When Storer is in the team, Pell has more of a licence to damage the opposition. Without Storer we lack fight, belief and leadership.
Robin
Agree, amazed we didn't stick to 4-3-3 and replace Stoz with Big Nige, when he came on we bossed the game I thought - although at that stage Grimsby were trying to hold what they had also.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ah apologies, I didn't realise Stoz was not playing.

This does suggest playing Morrell, Dawson and Sellars in the same team is too risky. Personally I think Sellars should be the unlucky one to miss out, with Stoz or Nige returning in his place.
vickeryc
Lord Elpuz wrote:A better second half but it was a mountain to climb. We missed Stoz for his leadership. The rebuild from January and in the summer was required to replace Vanarama players and to beef up the squad so that we didn’t get bullied this season. Tonight however v Grimsby our midfield looked too small and too light weight with Sellars, Morrell and Dawson as a unit, with only Harry Pell with any physical presence. Individually each of those smaller players have ability, but when they are all playing in the same team we don’t look like we are going to boss the game in midfield. This left Pell with too much to do defensively and it meant the defence was overworked from the off because we were not in control of the middle of the park. I lost count of the amount of times we gave the ball away cheaply down our right flank in the first half, where our attacking threat was completely nullified. We were too slow to adapt to the fact that tactically it was not working. When Storer is in the team, Pell has more of a licence to damage the opposition. Without Storer we lack fight, belief and leadership.
You've hit the nail on the head. Storer is one of those players that you don't notice much when he's playing, but you certainly miss him when he isn't. He manages to break up play better than anyone and it was noticeable how Grimsby kept regaining possession cheaply during the first half in his absence. That didn't happen nearly as much after Nige came on, but, as others have said, we had too much catching-up to do to get anything out of the game. That said, the lads gave it a good go after HT and created a host of decent chances. If only that effort which shaved the post had gone in...
Oldun
Extremely harsh to single out Cranners when goals came from other side. He may not have had his best game but was no worst than a couple of others!
Agree entirely with the point re Storer. He is a big miss. Also, I wonder if it isn't time to get Boyle back in there too. Three goals conceded in each of last two games is not good!
On the plus side...(sorry moaners!), Joe was excellent again last night, (apart from a couple of late free kicks) Scott was superb with 2/3 outstanding saves, and Wrighty led the line well. Agree about being light weight in middle though.
Thought it was good game; Grimsby played well in first half and will be a threat to the play offs if they carry on like that.

It really is all about fine margins though. Nige could (should) have stolen us a point at the end (as Daws should have done against Stevenage!), but then we snook three points at the death v Swindle! That makes us quits! Also, if the header from Wrighty goes in at 1-1 after brilliant move then....who knows!
Upwards and onwards....play offs still there for the taking as the league is really compressed.
No complaints on here about the ref either!
horlickfanclub
Cranston and Grimes were found out tonigh as they will be against decent teams with clever Managers. The defence as a whole was poor, we gave the ball away in all areas and lost too many 50/50 balls. Sellars bottled everything and ran up blind alleys. Cranston lost his man twice for the goals after errors by others but for most of the game Sellars gave him no support.
I agree with other posters that we looked weak without Storer linking midfield and we missed Harry after he went off. Atangana won balls but then wasted posession too many times in the hectic scramble but a least some effort was there.
Grimsby were a good well organised side. Too good for us and as I said a few days ago and was shot down we have been complacent , one wheel was off and we just lost another. Saturday is another day and hopefully with Storer back and a beefed up defence we can get three points.

Marks

Flinder 7
Winchester 6
Moore 5
Grimes 4
Cranston 4
Dawson 6 Only player winning 50/50
Pell 6
Morrell 6
Sellars 3
Wright 6
Eisah 6
Atangana 6
O'Shaughnessy 6
Hinds 6 Manager 5 Marks off for chatting to Dawson when he was trying to get back to defend a corner.
Robin
I thought Wright was poor yesterday, absolutely cannot fault his effort but he barely won a header all night and the Grimsby centre halves had an easy night. As a result of the ineffective Wright this effected his striker partner who had no flick on's to work with as he does with Graham.
Oldun
Glad to see you can find so much negative to say about last night! Very harsh on Grimes as play was all through right hand channel where T-M was struggling to cope with his man. As for the constant knife in to both Cranners and GJ I suspect many would agree that it wasn't Cranners best game (tho to blame him for two goals it OTT) and as for GJ you are to be congratulated for finding a new angle on his faults. Well done!
I did say elsewhere that it may be time for Boyle to re-emerge from the shadows if he is fit; I reckon he could bring an extra bit of solidity to the back line.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It has gone past the stage of feeling pity for Horlick and just finding his bizarre obsession with GJ and JC funny!

Still, at least after the cloud of a defeat (or sub-par showing) we have the silver lining of looking forward to seeing what laughable seething nonsense bile the clown Horlick will come up with.
CTFC03
The pleasing part of last night was that despite that mad five minutes before HT, we didn't cave in like we did v Exeter, we dug in kept going and created loads of openings, the spirit is good enough throughout the squad, we didn't play well but the level of effort was there and we were a threat all game and had them on the ropes second half. A fair few including myself stayed and applauded the team off, they deserved a bit more of a positive response from the fans in truth, I believe the team is miles better than last seasons and I think we will rise again and go on another run.
vickeryc
CTFC03 wrote:The pleasing part of last night was that despite that mad five minutes before HT, we didn't cave in like we did v Exeter, we dug in kept going and created loads of openings, the spirit is good enough throughout the squad, we didn't play well but the level of effort was there and we were a threat all game and had them on the ropes second half. A fair few including myself stayed and applauded the team off, they deserved a bit more of a positive response from the fans in truth, I believe the team is miles better than last seasons and I think we will rise again and go on another run.
Agree, though in fairness Holman did pull a goal back at the death against Exeter. Frankly, Grimsby's quality surprised me in the first half and disappointing though it was that we switched off in those few minutes before HT, the second half comeback was encouraging. This team does have quality and the form will return.
Mike1953
'It's the defence, stupid!', I keep reminding myself. It is just not strong enough or
sufficiently adaptable. Within minutes of the start it was obvious that Dembele was a dangerous threat and needed to be man marked and his supply snuffed out. This did not happen. (Similarly with Pope at PV).
On the positive side, both of our goals were well taken after good approach work.
Winchester's spin was excellent.
However, we continue to squander set piece opportunities by, for example, over hitting corners and not covering the far side, and shooting over the bar. GJ did well to cancel leave,
as more, more practice is required.