Cheltenham Town v Luton Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Updates here throughout the afternoon: http://bit.ly/LutonTHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
GRIIIIIIMMMESSYYYYYYYYY
confused.com
Looked like flinders got an assist, did he?
confused.com
With a decent midfield DO's is the LB we need. JC was ok today but we need to be secure. Pell stupid push could have cost us the match. Needs to wise up! Different team to last week. Moore excellent
Nesty
hope our one and only full back is not badly injured. but on a positive note a good fight back to clinch a point against one of the sides that are going to be there or there about. well done lads, put last weeks debacle to bed
art vandalay
I thought Luton were very good - lots of pace and quick turns, and there were times when I thought they were running our defence ragged. But we dug in and it's great to see fighting spirit within the team, so full credit to the players and GJ. Good performance from Sellars as well.
art vandalay
Johnson said on the radio that Cranston's injury is 'probably' a hamstring and he's likely to be out for 2-4 weeks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shame not to get the win but great to get a point against an automatic promotion bound side.

Draw was a minimum after the previous four games.

Now on to the next five. Double figure points needed. COYR.
Shade
Well, we were lucky not to be 4 or 5-1 down at half time but we kept fighting to the end and got our rewards. Assists for pur keeper and left back, and goals for our two centre backs...a defence making up for a shocking performance last week?

DO'S had an immediate impact with his long throw causing trouble, ball recycled out to him, and he's put in the first decent cross of the afternoon by a Chelt player and we scored.

Seems to be a little confusion over the second as to whether Boyle's touch was before the ball crossed the line.

Thought the ref was an average, some good decisions, some bewildering. I didn't think the free kick for the second was a foul, looked like their guy just ran into our player and went down. If it was Hylton, he was doing that all afternoon. The ref gave one or two against him for it but fell for that one.

Overall, much better and more committed from the off, but we were lucky we were still in it at half time as their running and passing was a cut above, but we stuck in there, dug in and just about deserved the point in the end. Luton were a huge amount better than Maidstone which just makes last week even more baffling.
Alf
To be honest, although I was pleased with a point in the end, I felt it was a game we could have won. We had a few decent chances but seem to lose composure in front of goal. A lot of our attacking play consists of balls just being lumped into the box hoping that one of our big lads can get on the end of it. Would like to see a bit more craft in our approach play.
confused.com
and who in God's name lets storer take the set pieces? We have more skilfull players than him to deliver a ball !!!!
CTFC03
Results like this and v Wycombe make me think if we tweek a couple of things at the back and maybe get another holding midfielder in January we could push for the play offs, we're staying in matches against good teams and even though the performance against Grimsby wasn't great we stayed in and almost snatched a point, with a bit of ambition in January we could do it.
Shade
Yeah, shame we're not getting any extra funds feom the FA Cup...if I was exceedingly cynical I'd say that some of the players have guaranteed themselves a full season.
Si Robin
Shade wrote:Well, we were lucky not to be 4 or 5-1 down at half time but we kept fighting to the end and got our rewards. Assists for pur keeper and left back, and goals for our two centre backs...a defence making up for a shocking performance last week?

DO'S had an immediate impact with his long throw causing trouble, ball recycled out to him, and he's put in the first decent cross of the afternoon by a Chelt player and we scored.

Seems to be a little confusion over the second as to whether Boyle's touch was before the ball crossed the line.

Thought the ref was an average, some good decisions, some bewildering. I didn't think the free kick for the second was a foul, looked like their guy just ran into our player and went down. If it was Hylton, he was doing that all afternoon. The ref gave one or two against him for it but fell for that one.

Overall, much better and more committed from the off, but we were lucky we were still in it at half time as their running and passing was a cut above, but we stuck in there, dug in and just about deserved the point in the end. Luton were a huge amount better than Maidstone which just makes last week even more baffling.
There shouldn't be, Boyle was a good yard or so from the line.
Alf
confused.com wrote:and who in God's name lets storer take the set pieces? We have more skilfull players than him to deliver a ball !!!!
Totally agree. Our set pieces are poor. Again, the ball is just lumped into the box with apparently no specific intent. How many did their keeper catch very comfortably. We have a lot of tall players pushing into the box but they are not mobile enough to react to the half chances that are available.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Surely Winchester should be on set pieces until Morrell or Dawson return. Storer taking them is back to the bad old days of August and last season.
Alf
We also need players attacking the ball with intent as Potts did for their first goal.
London Exile
What was the issue with using towels to dry the football before throw ins? I thought you could use them so long as the opposing team were permitted to as well?
Player2 Has Joined
Shade wrote:Well, we were lucky not to be 4 or 5-1 down at half time but we kept fighting to the end and got our rewards. Assists for pur keeper and left back, and goals for our two centre backs...a defence making up for a shocking performance last week?

Agree their passing and running cut us apart at times, but given Scotty had one real save to make in the first half, it would seem harsh saying we should have been 4 or 5 down. Lots of possession in our third yes, but not a lot of clear cut chances, and I think I dogged display from our defence contributed to that massively.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
vickeryc
A lot of people were downbeat before today's game because of the abject performance in the cup last week. A week is a long time in football, especially given that we came away from Newport with a creditable win in midweek. We have a decent record against the better sides in this league and have competed well against all of them, so today's result should not have come as a surprise. Fans' pessimism was doubtless borne out of successive seasons of disappointment in the FL.

The cup performance was a blip against a team that was really up for it and whose performance exceeded everyone's expectation on the day. That match apart, this Cheltenham team is very resilient these days and plays to the last kick - witness the recent injury time goals against Swindon, Wycombe and today's against Luton. What a contrast to last season when we all dreaded goals being conceded in injury time.

I also have to say what a difference Boyle makes to the team. Let's hope he stays fit and remains a fixture on the team sheet because the defence is much better with him in the side. Also, Eisa is much more than just a goal scorer - he creates numerous chances for others and makes space by taking defenders out of the game with his pace, which scares opponents to death.
vickeryc wrote:we came away from Newport with a creditable win in midweek
Disagree, although £10k for the win was important for both teams, clearly the result and performance meant more to us immediately following the "abject performance in the cup last week"
vickeryc wrote:The cup performance was a blip against a team that was really up for it and whose performance exceeded everyone's expectation on the day
Disagree, Maidstone were up for it right from the start and my expectation was nothing less, clearly our players felt the same as you. Our performance was shocking and unacceptable, the same as our last four meetings with “non-league” opponents. If we won against Maidstone and lost to Newport we would be £8k up
vickeryc wrote:this Cheltenham team is very resilient these days and plays to the last kick - witness the recent injury time goals against Swindon, Wycombe and today's against Luton
We have been good in some games and awful in others, the inconsistency is frustrating when we know what we are capable of. At the moment we can match the best and still be beaten by the worst
Shade
Player2 Has Joined wrote:

Agree their passing and running cut us apart at times, but given Scotty had one real save to make in the first half, it would seem harsh saying we should have been 4 or 5 down. Lots of possession in our third yes, but not a lot of clear cut chances, and I think I dogged display from our defence contributed to that massively.

Yes, Flinders only had one real save to make but I'm talking about the other chances sich as Hylton somehow heading wide from a yard out, and 2 or 3 shots that were smashed just wide or over from good positions. You'd expect the top scorers to get them on target at least.

On another note, Luton manager Nathan Jones was typically wankerish: "it's 2-0 and they've celebrated like they won the league, that's what it means to them, ya know". No, you oik. For starters, it was never 2-0, and we celebrated like our keeper got an assist in the final moments as we grabbed a draw in a game we thought had gone. I expect him to look just as merose if they get anything from a last minute goal this season. Condescending twat.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Indeed. Shoulda coulda woulda. If people are going to say we were lucky not to be for or five goals down, then looking at all the chances we have missed in some games then we are also unlucky not to be in the cup still and in the top seven already!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:

Yes, Flinders only had one real save to make but I'm talking about the other chances sich as Hylton somehow heading wide from a yard out, and 2 or 3 shots that were smashed just wide or over from good positions. You'd expect the top scorers to get them on target at least.

On another note, Luton manager Nathan Jones was typically wankerish: "it's 2-0 and they've celebrated like they won the league, that's what it means to them, ya know". No, you oik. For starters, it was never 2-0, and we celebrated like our keeper got an assist in the final moments as we grabbed a draw in a game we thought had gone. I expect him to look just as merose if they get anything from a last minute goal this season. Condescending twat.
If they miss out on top three and we face them in the play offs then we will show him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Nothing baffling. Just a complete off day with no energy or intensity. Anyone who plays competitive sport at any level will have experienced them. Frustrating, inexplicable and indefensible but it happens.

Luton game much more representative of what we have seen during the last ten games and will see for the remainder of the season.
vickeryc
1971 wrote:
vickeryc wrote:we came away from Newport with a creditable win in midweek
Disagree, although £10k for the win was important for both teams, clearly the result and performance meant more to us immediately following the "abject performance in the cup last week"
vickeryc wrote:The cup performance was a blip against a team that was really up for it and whose performance exceeded everyone's expectation on the day
Disagree, Maidstone were up for it right from the start and my expectation was nothing less, clearly our players felt the same as you. Our performance was shocking and unacceptable, the same as our last four meetings with “non-league” opponents. If we won against Maidstone and lost to Newport we would be £8k up
vickeryc wrote:this Cheltenham team is very resilient these days and plays to the last kick - witness the recent injury time goals against Swindon, Wycombe and today's against Luton
We have been good in some games and awful in others, the inconsistency is frustrating when we know what we are capable of. At the moment we can match the best and still be beaten by the worst
This is a complete misrepresentation of nearly everything I said and mostly taken out of context. Yes, two recent league fixtures, against improving Port Vale and a good Grimsby side, produced disappointing results compared with others. However, our league form has generally been pretty consistent since we've had a settled team.

If you look at our points tally over the last 10 games (W5 D3 L2), you'll see that we are equal 4th with Notts County and this has only been bettered by Luton, Accrington and Swindon. We've played the latter three recently and you'll recall that we beat Swindon and drew with the othe two. Putting aside the inexplicable Maidstone cup debacle, our form since we've had a settled squad is far less inconsistent than you suggest.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great stats Vickery. I knew the last ten games have been good but didn't know we were fourth in the league form table.

Puts to bed any argument about whether the squad (after being completed, settled after first 7 games) has been play off quality. They are the 4th best in the League!
Lord Elpuz
Have not seen the replay of the goals yet, but one felt that Potts gave Brian Graham a nudge in the small of his back as they both rose to head the ball from the Luton corner that resulted in Potts heading the first goal. Moments later, another corner almost resulted in a similar outcome with Potts having his arms on Graham’s shoulder to again impede Graham’s attempt to defensively head the ball. The referee didn’t see either incident and the linesman was on the opposite side of the pitch.
Robin
Yes we also spotted that Potts bullied Graham and their first could have been disallowed if correctly seen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Yes we also spotted that Potts bullied Graham and their first could have been disallowed if correctly seen.
Maybe the ref wasn't so able and honest after all.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Nothing baffling. Just a complete off day with no energy or intensity. Anyone who plays competitive sport at any level will have experienced them. Frustrating, inexplicable and indefensible but it happens.
baffling
adjective
impossible to understand; perplexing.
"the crime is a baffling mystery for the police"

inexplicable
adjective
unable to be explained or accounted for.
"for some inexplicable reason her mind went completely blank"

Please explain to me how it can't be baffling but it can be inexplicable, and how what i said is any different to what you ended up saying, Mr Gottacomment.
joes dad
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
baffling
adjective
impossible to understand; perplexing.
"the crime is a baffling mystery for the police"

inexplicable
adjective
unable to be explained or accounted for.
"for some inexplicable reason her mind went completely blank"

Please explain to me how it can't be baffling but it can be inexplicable, and how what i said is any different to what you ended up saying, Mr Gottacomment.[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No comment.