FGR ticket sales

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Green Man. North Terrace. All Robins territory on 25th.
Jerry St Clair
Oh, indeed, I wasn’t suggesting they’d enforce the “no away fans” rule. I suspect they’ll be tolerant and almost welcoming to us given the virtually zero animosity between us.

I’ll be in the north terrace and am throughly looking forward to it.
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
thetonga wrote:What is the reasoning for not being in the same terrace we were in when we played them in the conference a couple of seasons ago?
Just to make it worse for away fans and stop so many coming and to stop them making atmosphere.
This, unfortunately. Embarassing really.

The short term solution will apparently be to put up a 200 seat temporary stand on the right side of the West Terrace at some point this season, which although better then nothing is still pretty tinpot size-wise.

Anyway I'm sure there will be plenty of you mixing with the home fans, which is fine. No real animosity between the fanbases. Most of us know Cheltenham fans and will enjoy a bit of banter on the night.
drgm
Sorry but the poor matchday experience at TNL will mean I save my pennies for Coventry away
which is a must-do
Ralph
Jerry St Clair wrote:Anticipating the sellout, FGR already have a note on their ticket page saying “Are you an away supporter? If you’re buying tickets for home areas, you won’t get in”.
i looked for that and didn't see it
Johnsons Red Army
Here: https://inhouse.forestgreenroversfc.com/VenueManagement/asp/login.asp?nonMember=true&eventID={9B83C2CA-9F42-4284-A6C2-36DE53104D97}
Ralph
Cheers, now i see it. They are crazy idiots if they think they are stopping that. Watch out for the questionnaires boys and girls
Jerry St Clair
drgm wrote:Sorry but the poor matchday experience at TNL will mean I save my pennies for Coventry away
which is a must-do
I don’t get the excitement about Coventry. A massive, soulless, white elephant of a stadium sat next to a ring road and which will be barely 1/5 full. Nah thanks. I’ll take a trip to TNL any day over that.
Robin
Best ground in the divison in front of the biggest club and crowd we will play at this season. You'd seriously prefer a visit to the New Lawn with no atmosphere and no pubs?
Chris FGR
Robin wrote:You'd seriously prefer a visit to the New Lawn with no atmosphere and no pubs?
There are a couple of decent enough pubs in Nailsworth tbf.
confused.com
Fail to see why folk gush over a trip to FG. The matchday experience is not a pleasant one, for all the reasons mentioned above. My last time standing in the cold and rain was at Crawley when fat man was in charge and I swore then never again. Wonder how Mr Jones would react to no seats lol
asl
confused.com wrote:Fail to see why folk gush over a trip to FG. The matchday experience is not a pleasant one, for all the reasons mentioned above. My last time standing in the cold and rain was at Crawley when fat man was in charge and I swore then never again. Wonder how Mr Jones would react to no seats lol
Jesus, that was cold, that night... I went straight from work wearing thin, leather-soled shoes and, after two hours of standing on that concrete step at *well* below freezing, my legs from the knees down had turn into blocks of ice.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You can get shoes with leather soles?
Shade
confused.com wrote:Fail to see why folk gush over a trip to FG. The matchday experience is not a pleasant one, for all the reasons mentioned above. My last time standing in the cold and rain was at Crawley when fat man was in charge and I swore then never again. Wonder how Mr Jones would react to no seats lol
Who's gushing? Just the only away game a lot of us will get to due to the short distance, and we also want to see our club give Vince and Cooper a jolly damn good thrashing. A lot of people still go to football just to watch a game of football and don't need all the other rubbish that might come along with it.
confused.com
If rubbish equates to having a seat and staying dry. Then I get your point
Shade
Not a grass roots or terrace kinda guy then, confused.
asl
When was the last time we beat FGR - let alone gave them "a damn good thrashing"...?
leohoenig
asl wrote:When was the last time we beat FGR - let alone gave them "a damn good thrashing"...?
In terms of league games, the last three matches have been draws, while Cheltenham won at The Lawn on 26 August 1998, by 2-1 (Norton, Eaton)

In think the previous meeting before that was 2 May 1983 at Whaddon Road, which Cheltenham won 2-0 (Tester, Lewis), in which case the last time FGR beat us in the League would have been earlier in the same season, when we lost 5-3

Prior to that, we had not played in league fixtures since the Northern Senior League days, which we left in 1932!
leohoenig
Cheltenham Town beat Forest Green in the FA Cup in 1980 (3-2; Hardcastle, Bayliffe (og), R. Jones) but lost in 1995 by 3-0
Robin
Chris FGR wrote:
Robin wrote:You'd seriously prefer a visit to the New Lawn with no atmosphere and no pubs?
Cheers Chris, any guidance as to where we could find them, last time we drank in Stroud and then went to the ground. I've been to FGR four times and never seen a pub so probably wasn't looking hard enough :D
Robin
Shade wrote:
Who's gushing? Just the only away game a lot of us will get to due to the short distance, and we also want to see our club give Vince and Cooper a jolly damn good thrashing. A lot of people still go to football just to watch a game of football and don't need all the other rubbish that might come along with it.
Blimey Shade are Swindle and Coventry really too far too travel as both are not much further than FGR. At least in those games there will be a bit of an atmosphere and you are under cover unlike FGR.

I'm all for taking a decent following away but I'd certainly rather go to Coventry rather than stand on open terrace in a time little ground with no atmosphere where
we'll probably get soaked and/or freeze anyway. :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:
Cheers Chris, any guidance as to where we could find them, last time we drank in Stroud and then went to the ground. I've been to FGR four times and never seen a pub so probably wasn't looking hard enough :D
Can imagine it is hard to navigate the huge metropolis of Nailsworth.
confused.com
asl wrote:
Jesus, that was cold, that night... I went straight from work wearing thin, leather-soled shoes and, after two hours of standing on that concrete step at *well* below freezing, my legs from the knees down had turn into blocks of ice.
It was a cold one, and a miserable one
confused.com
Shade wrote:Not a grass roots or terrace kinda guy then, confused.
Maybe 45 years ago, prefer a bit of comfort these days
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Coventry is only exciting for me as it's a first. Never played them before nor been to the Ricoh which is a good stadium.

But that is the point for me, a one off. I wouldn't have any desire to go a second time. A random location miles from anywhere near the M6 is not my cup of tea.

Not to do with the stadium, just the location. Rotherham a new build stadium but in the heart of the town and less effort to get to than some places.

My fave away days are ones with a small stadium with terraces or seating stands you can stand in in walking distance of the station/pubs/restaurants/coffee/shops.

York, Guiseley, Aldershot, Daggers, all spring to mind. Burton was a tad too long a walk and I won't go again. FGR could be good if Nailsworth has a car park. A mile walk from the Village Inn and nearby restaurants so a good day out if the car can be left in Nailsworth in the morning and stay there all day.
Shade
Robin wrote:
Blimey Shade are Swindle and Coventry really too far too travel as both are not much further than FGR. At least in those games there will be a bit of an atmosphere and you are under cover unlike FGR.

I'm all for taking a decent following away but I'd certainly rather go to Coventry rather than stand on open terrace in a time little ground with no atmosphere where
we'll probably get soaked and/or freeze anyway. :D
Good for you. The fact is we've sold 991 tickets for the away terrace and will have a few more in the home areas. I will be very surprised if we have that many at Swindon or Coventry. I never said they're too far to travel but given we don't all live on Whaddon Road, and a lot live between Cheltenham and Stroud, it's a damned sight closer. Plus, if you have commitments on a Saturday morning until 12 or 1pm, such as working or taking your kid to footy, whatever, it makes a big difference. Add in the likelihood of a good result given our generally pathetic away results in League 2 over the last 4 or 5 seasons, and FGR is the game to go to. As I said before, not everybody cares as much about the atmosphere or what the stadium is like, they just want to see us play fairly locally when the opportunity arises.

I'm sorry that you don't feel that FGR is a game worthy of much attention compared to the likes of Swindon and Coventry, but obviously a lot of other people do. You lot can debate it as much as you want but the ticket sales are the facts.
Shade
asl wrote:When was the last time we beat FGR - let alone gave them "a damn good thrashing"...?
Note: I said hope we give them a damn good thrashing, not that we will give them another one.
Robin
I would imagine we will take similar numbers to Coventry Shade that game has a lot of attention but before Christmas you may be correct.
Shade
I'd be surprised if we take over 600 max. Partly down to the time of year, I admit.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Coventry is only exciting for me as it's a first. Never played them before nor been to the Ricoh which is a good stadium.

But that is the point for me, a one off. I wouldn't have any desire to go a second time. A random location miles from anywhere near the M6 is not my cup of tea.

Not to do with the stadium, just the location. Rotherham a new build stadium but in the heart of the town and less effort to get to than some places.

My fave away days are ones with a small stadium with terraces or seating stands you can stand in in walking distance of the station/pubs/restaurants/coffee/shops.

York, Guiseley, Aldershot, Daggers, all spring to mind. Burton was a tad too long a walk and I won't go again. FGR could be good if Nailsworth has a car park. A mile walk from the Village Inn and nearby restaurants so a good day out if the car can be left in Nailsworth in the morning and stay there all day.
Interesting list, I do love York as an away day, great night out and lovely city if you stop over. Ground itself is very poor but that doesn't bother me overly. Also agree about Rotherham, cracking little ground there, close to the town centre sort of ground I'd love us to have if we ever leave Whaddon Road. Other notable good aways days I've been with CTFC Newcastle, Brighton (new ground only), Bournemouth, Torquay, Plymouth, Chester, Orient.

Can't agree on Dagenham though terrible place with no pubs, nice little away end but otherwise not somewhere I like going. I actually find Oxford and Wycombe to be poor away days despite being short trips there are no pubs and traffic on the retail/industrial estate always means you wait ages to get out and usually the atmosphere in the ground is like a library.
Robin
Hope you are wrong Shade I know people not going to FGR as they are saving for Coventry but I suspect with time of year you may be correct the more I think about it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Coventry is only exciting for me as it's a first. Never played them before nor been to the Ricoh which is a good stadium.

Interesting list, I do love York as an away day, great night out and lovely city if you stop over. Ground itself is very poor but that doesn't bother me overly. Also agree about Rotherham, cracking little ground there, close to the town centre sort of ground I'd love us to have if we ever leave Whaddon Road. Other notable good aways days I've been with CTFC Newcastle, Brighton (new ground only), Bournemouth, Torquay, Plymouth, Chester, Orient.

Can't agree on Dagenham though terrible place with no pubs, nice little away end but otherwise not somewhere I like going. I actually find Oxford and Wycombe to be poor away days despite being short trips there are no pubs and traffic on the retail/industrial estate always means you wait ages to get out and usually the atmosphere in the ground is like a library.
Thing with London clubs the area doesn't matter as long as they are near a tube/overground. We had drinks etc elsewhere and didn't get off the tube at Dagenham East until about 2.55pm. I guess London transport means clubs there are a different case to other towns.
Robin
I generally find the small clubs like Stevenage, Accrington, Yeovil and Forest Green to be amongst the worst as generally facilities are poor, there are few pubs and the atmosphere is terrible. But there are exceptions I actually quite like Aldershot, Torquay and Morecambe.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Morecambe was good. A nice walk from the sea front along the Way of The Roses route and then into Lancaster for a more architecturally pleasant evening.
confused.com
Saw springsteen at Cov once, good singer but wouldn't have him at RB. Also seen Wasps play there once. Yeah it is out on its own, but th( means easy parking and a quick sprint down the A46 home