How much did CTFC get for............

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Miles Platting
Marley Watkins? :roll:

Made his debut for Wales last night.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Miles Platting wrote:Marley Watkins? :roll:

Made his debut for Wales last night.
The folly of fans writing off a player as a teenager who has yet to finish developing physically. Always had the pace and quality, just needed a couple of years in the gym. Glad he is proving said fans wrong.

At least now we have a management team more understanding of the necessity of sports science and player development than Allen and Yates were, so unlikely the same error will be made with any of the current crop of youth.
Alf
I'm sure someone will tell me if this is wrong but somewhere in the back of my ageing head I remember a mid-week league match against Millwall when Allen was in charge. First half I believe Marley played on the right wing and ran the opposition ragged. I think we were up at half time. Second half, for reasons best known to himself, Watkins was switched to the other wing and looked half the player. I think he was subbed, we lost the game and the player was loaned out shortly afterwards. I remember at the time thinking what an inexplicable piece of management this was. Please tell me I didn't imagine it.
asl
For every player that shows potential and grows into a star, there's dozens who show potential, but don't. CTFC made a decision and it turned out to be wrong. These things happen: even Fergie cocked up occasionally - Paul Pogba, for example.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:I'm sure someone will tell me if this is wrong but somewhere in the back of my ageing head I remember a mid-week league match against Millwall when Allen was in charge. First half I believe Marley played on the right wing and ran the opposition ragged. I think we were up at half time. Second half, for reasons best known to himself, Watkins was switched to the other wing and looked half the player. I think he was subbed, we lost the game and the player was loaned out shortly afterwards. I remember at the time thinking what an inexplicable piece of management this was. Please tell me I didn't imagine it.
I believe you are correct. His Dad used to come in the bookshop I worked in whilst Marley was training. Started off very positive about the club and future but by the end wanted out, even if it made taking a step back to take four forward to progress to the level they knew he could achieve.
horlickfanclub
We got nothing for Marley.Good luck to him. Harry Hooman would have made it back via Inverness if not for his injury.
Fuller
horlickfanclub wrote:We got nothing for Marley.Good luck to him. Harry Hooman would have made it back via Inverness if not for his injury.
I'm sure Bath City paid us a transfer fee for young Marley - wasn't much though ....

And yes you are correct Alf - I recall that game v Millwall, he was excellent first half and that was about it.
Artemis
Rather than whingeing about what we got or didn't get for Marley when he left, let me be the first on this board to congratulate Marley on his international debut, his progress since leave us and wish him continued success........ ;) :D
Alf
I think the point is being missed. It wasn't that the lad suddenly flourished late in his career after a slow start. It was fairly obvious that there was talent there at an early age which the existing manager either did not rate or chose to ignore. Also Fergie could afford virtually any
player he wanted. We don't have that luxury.
Shade
But it happens. Good players all around the leagues were let go by someone at some point. Get over it, keep an eye on his progress if you want to, and watch what we have now. George Lloyd looks a bit tasty, I don't think he'll be let go.