January cannot come soon enough

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Enjoyable as today was it's so obvious we need pace going forward, someone who can take the pressure off Mo. Wright has been a great servant but the last two games he's shown why he cannot be anything more than an impact sub, we are missing Graham and Hinds just isn't up to it yet. Give us a left winger please Gary is we are going to play 4-4-2 and give us another full back who can whip a ball into the box.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I agree Robin. Decent assessment.

In his interview (I watch the video on the official site not the Echo) Gary says come January we will have a different looking team and players who don’t panic away from home.

We have to win the next three to be in the hunt when the window opens.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I agree Robin. Decent assessment.

In his interview (I watch the video on the official site not the Echo) Gary says come January we will have a different looking team and players who don’t panic away from home.

by "different looking team" I assume he means he will sign a couple of full backs !!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:

by "different looking team" I assume he means he will sign a couple of full backs !!
And a striker and CM/wing.

Fully expecting four or five to come in and improve the squad. All three previous windows where Gary has sought to build or supplement the squad have been successful so no reason to suspect it won’t be the same this year.
Oldun
Hopefully

1) a big strong experienced captain type centre back

2) a Holman like striker (but I fear not Dan back as I suspect he and Danny W will be moved on)

3) a left back or wing back

Anything else will be a bonus.
Robin
Agree writing is on the wall for Holman and Wright at this moment, Eisa is carrying the rest of the side in the final third. I'd say we are also nailed on to sign at least one full back as GJ doesn't seem to trust O'Shoggers - who I believe is a decent prospect.

Not sure I see a commanding centre half coming though, GJ seems to like Grimes too much.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Plus if we sign a commanding CB what do we do when Forster returns? Better to focus January shopping in the premium market on positions we don’t have enough numbers in even when all are fit - with a view to next season too.
everyman
Nesty wrote:

Perhaps he means we will play in the blue kit ?
Nesty
sounds also like he may already have a few pencil-led in?
London Exile
Robin wrote:Agree writing is on the wall for Holman and Wright at this moment, Eisa is carrying the rest of the side in the final third. I'd say we are also nailed on to sign at least one full back as GJ doesn't seem to trust O'Shoggers - who I believe is a decent prospect.

Not sure I see a commanding centre half coming though, GJ seems to like Grimes too much.
Does seem strange that we have recalled Page who was sitting on the bench for Hereford in the Southern Prem but hasn’t recalled Holman from Borehamwood!

We need 2 full backs this January and a striker. Get Winchester back in the middle where he can be more of a danger and dictate games for us.
Robin
Nesty wrote:sounds also like he may already have a few pencil-led in?
Yeah I suspect he has 2-3 players lined up, otherwise he wouldn't be criticising those he looks certain to be moving on. We saw similar last season, got to admire GJ he is decisive when you don't perform consistnetly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:
Robin wrote:Agree writing is on the wall for Holman and Wright at this moment, Eisa is carrying the rest of the side in the final third. I'd say we are also nailed on to sign at least one full back as GJ doesn't seem to trust O'Shoggers - who I believe is a decent prospect.

Does seem strange that we have recalled Page who was sitting on the bench for Hereford in the Southern Prem but hasn’t recalled Holman from Borehamwood!

We need 2 full backs this January and a striker. Get Winchester back in the middle where he can be more of a danger and dictate games for us.
Finances. The longer the Wood pay some of DH's wages the more money we can save for Jan. Page won't be on as much so the cheaper option.
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
London Exile wrote:

Finances. The longer the Wood pay some of DH's wages the more money we can save for Jan. Page won't be on as much so the cheaper option.
Pure speculation on my part but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wright move out on loan in January. He’s been fantastic for our football club but in the last few games and I hate to say it, but he’s looked woefully short of the required level. I can see Lloyd featuring more on the bench as back up so if Wright & Holman effectively leave, we might have a reasonable budget to bring in another striker to add to Mo, Graham & Lloyd.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Could see that happening London Exile, good theory!
Robin
The problem for me is if Wright leaves we have no cover for Graham. Whilst I agree he's been well below standard lately (ability wise you can never fault his effort) if we move him on we could be playing without a target man too often given Graham's injuries.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The problem for me is if Wright leaves we have no cover for Graham. Whilst I agree he's been well below standard lately (ability wise you can never fault his effort) if we move him on we could be playing without a target man too often given Graham's injuries.
Well that depends on who we sign.
theidlerich
...quote..."The problem for me is if Wright leaves we have no cover for Graham. Whilst I agree he's been well below standard lately (ability wise you can never fault his effort)"........

I've been saying that ever since I first saw him play. I'm sure he's a very decent guy, but footy at league level is a results business and he hasn't done that! So I also hope that he is replaced with someone with the potential to score; skillful and has pace plus can throw himself about a bit too ..[not too much to ask surely..]! Lets hope that the January signings, if they materialise, add much needed value.
longmover
i think GJ we'll be cutting his nose off to spite our face if he lets Wright go, yes Wright's days of a full 90 have gone but he's still a handful and defenders don't want to deal with a striker of that size in the last twenty of a game. Due to Graham's injury Wright has had to carry the line and he just isn't up to it anymore (when was the the last time he had a shot?). Gj could have taken the load of him by bringing back Holman but that hasn't happened.
Robin
We need a striker now, if Wright goes we need two in my eyes that's the point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:We need a striker now, if Wright goes we need two in my eyes that's the point.
Yup.
MacRobin
There are two glaring issues:

Squad depth
Square pegs in round holes

At the end of the game on Saturday I counted six players arguably not playing in their best or preferred positions and only five players on the bench of whom one has played an FL game.

Winnie - can play RB adequately but his ability on the ball is wasted there
Grimes - very left footed CB playing right side CB
Atangana - playing on the right when he is central midfielder
Dawson - ended up in the middle when his strengths are down the sides
Morrell - played down the left, which he can do, but again not his preferred position
Pell - ended up being thrown up top

I am not someone who advocates wholesale changes but honestly right now you can make an argument for us needing:

Two Full Backs
A right footed Centre Half
A left sided Midfielder/Winger
One or possibly two Strikers

Obviously we have been unlucky with the injuries to Forster, Gordon and Cranston but other than that we should have a squad that can cope with 3/4 week lay offs like Graham has at the moment.

My post Jan squad:

GKs - Flinders, Lovett
Defenders - Moore, Grimes, Boyle, Forster, Cranston, Bower, New RB #1, New LB #1, New CH #1
Midfelders - Winchester, Pell, Storer, Morrell, Dawson, Gordon, Lloyd, Sellars, New LM #1
Strikers - Eisa, Graham, New #1, New #2

Move out - O'Shaughnessy, Wright, Atangana, Davey, Holman, Hinds

Six out, six in sounds pretty drastic but read through the "move out" list and it's difficult to make a strong case to retain any of them. It would be a ballsy move to go this far but I wouldn't rule it out, however GJ may ignore addressing the RB spot assuming Taylor Moore stays. The issue will be finding clubs to take those that need to go out and take enough of their wages to free up some budget as well as the impact of carrying the cost of three long term injuries. Of course, making changes of this scale for a second season in a row is a damning indictment of our recruitment policy which was so lauded in our National League season.

A lot of work needed in the next month!
Robin
Why would we move Atangana out other than injuries, when he's been fit and played he's better than Storer. I'd also keep O'Shoggers, I know he's still young and raw but there is potential there, he can cover a number of positions from the bench and his long throw and left foot are great when chasing the game.

We are also over loaded in central midfield and are trying to shoe horn into a 4-4-2 despite not having the players to fit the system. If we revert back to 4-3-3 that may be the solution and play Pell, Morrell and Winchester or one from Storer/Nige. With Eisa, Graham and Dawson as a front three.
horlickfanclub
Atangana has look below par all season.I don't see how you can knock Wright but think Atangana is worth a place Robin. Neither are top class but at least Wright is durable and puts in 100%. Mark Robins seems to rate him higher than some of our supporters to Coventry City could be a good move for Danny.
Macrobin makes some good points .If we sign ten new players they will most likely become square pegs before long.
THECHOIRBOY
The problem is the lack of players who can play 40+ games. For Wrights lack of quality, he is battle hardened and seems to be injury free. If you have a small squad you need players like that who are solid and reliable. YEs, I may not start him but I would not be letting him go yet.

The issues are players like Atangana and co. who can't seem to string games together without getting injured. A powerful, pacy striker would be on my list (to offer something different to Graham and Eisa) and then Wright would be a battering ram alternative.
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Atangana has look below par all season.I don't see how you can knock Wright but think Atangana is worth a place Robin. Neither are top class but at least Wright is durable and puts in 100%. Mark Robins seems to rate him higher than some of our supporters to Coventry City could be a good move for Danny.
Macrobin makes some good points .If we sign ten new players they will most likely become square pegs before long.
Atangana has been limited to cameos apart from a few games at the start of the season and has been decent from what I have seen - yet i am sure we have not seen the best of him as that tends to come with a solid run of games.

I take it you were not at Coventry or Crewe? Wright was totally ineffective in both and was pulled off and replaced by Pell which clearly shows GJ was not happy. As I have stated numerous times he can be an asset from the bench but relying upon him to start games is a risk now.
Shade
I think Wrighty was probably knackered on Saturday after running his considerable frame around on a rugby pitch for the 75-odd minutes that he lasted.
horlickfanclub
I was not at Coventry Robin but I think Mark Robins comments about Danny Wright make interesting reading.
MacRobin
The issue with Atangana is very simply reliability. Truthfully, I cannot really judge his quality because he hasn’t started enough games - and therein lies the problem.

My issue with Danny Wright is twofold:

1. His chance/goals ratio simply isn’t good enough.

2. His presence makes us easier to defend against because we are more predictable. Any Centre Half knows that he can go really tight on him because he will not/cannot soon I’m behind. That would be ok if he was winning 70/80% of the balls played in to feet or more often aerially, but he doesn’t!

It will come down to whether, in GJ’s opinion, we can bring someone in that offers either more or something different to Wrighty but he is definitely at risk in my opinion.
MacRobin
That should have read “cannot/will not spin in behind”...
longmover
MacRobin wrote:The issue with Atangana is very simply reliability. Truthfully, I cannot really judge his quality because he hasn’t started enough games - and therein lies the problem.

My issue with Danny Wright is twofold:

1. His chance/goals ratio simply isn’t good enough.

2. His presence makes us easier to defend against because we are more predictable. Any Centre Half knows that he can go really tight on him because he will not/cannot soon I’m behind. That would be ok if he was winning 70/80% of the balls played in to feet or more often aerially, but he doesn’t!

Over 90 mins I would agree with this but in the last 15/20 mins (from the bench) he is at his most devistating. Just depends if GJ has made his mind up or DW is prepared for life as a sub
Last edited by longmover on 18 Dec 2017, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Predictive tits mistakes all over the place tonight.