New Years Resolutions

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

theidlerich
1 - Would the Stewards please inform the large guy a couple of seats in front [T&B stand] to shout less loudly when he gets carried away [often - especially to the lino - "carried away".....preferably some distance ie north of Tewkesbury or even Chipping Campden]. Rude, ill-mannered and he blocks our view when he stands up! [ps The Stewards do a fantastic job - well done.]
2 - Transfer list printed as soon as possible - with DW on it! [that will please a few and I'll wait for the cutting replies..]
3 - Bring in a Nuoble type CF - quick, skillful, strong.....are there any out there?
4 - Turn the volume down on the tannoy when the "scoreboard" is showing clips - can't see it anyway.
5 - Bring back the half-time challenge - but with a dummy set of goalposts to one side of the goal. The speedy skips idea was barmy and nigh on impossible!
6 - Wish for a White Knight with some cash to join the Board - with good intentions please not. Not that there is much asset stripping to do!
7 - Shorter queues at half time in the T&B stand.
8 - Name Labels for the Directors and they should be chatting to fans on entry to gauge opinions well before the game.
.....That will do for a start......oh and a truce with OTC please - he's harmless.
Oldun
Re Nouble...Chatting to some Newport fans on Saturday suggested that they would happily let us have him. They love his effort but not his goal scoring record!
asl
theidlerich wrote:5 - Bring back the half-time challenge - but with a dummy set of goalposts to one side of the goal. The speedy skips idea was barmy and nigh on impossible!
Hee! Remember the bath-tub one from a few years ago...? Now *that* was embarrassing...

Talking of embarrassing - or even downright painful - to watch, can we stop any kids below the age of, say 10, taking part in the crossbar challenge? The number of 5 year olds who have had a go and can't get the ball above the grass, let alone close to hitting the crossbar, is ridiculous.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
theidlerich wrote:5 - Bring back the half-time challenge - but with a dummy set of goalposts to one side of the goal. The speedy skips idea was barmy and nigh on impossible!
Hee! Remember the bath-tub one from a few years ago...? Now *that* was embarrassing...

Talking of embarrassing - or even downright painful - to watch, can we stop any kids below the age of, say 10, taking part in the crossbar challenge? The number of 5 year olds who have had a go and can't get the ball above the grass, let alone close to hitting the crossbar, is ridiculous.
If they enjoy it and it encourages them to become lifelong Robins fans then what's the problem?
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
asl wrote:

If they enjoy it and it encourages them to become lifelong Robins fans then what's the problem?
.........a 5 minutes training session with The Spencer of old would do the trick ;)
Robin
Oldun wrote:Re Nouble...Chatting to some Newport fans on Saturday suggested that they would happily let us have him. They love his effort but not his goal scoring record!
Wow if that's true we should offer a small fee he's be awesome in our team and the perfect foil for Eisa.
Shade
Yeah, just what we need, another forward that can't score.
Robin
He might not be able to score but he's big, powerful, mobile, can hold the ball up and can lure defenders to him freeing up space for Mo which I'd argue is exactly what we need.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:He might not be able to score but he's big, powerful, mobile, can hold the ball up and can lure defenders to him freeing up space for Mo which I'd argue is exactly what we need.
Hopefully he runs around aimlessly a lot too. Guinan did all of those things but because he didn't run around aimlessly a lot he got slated by most on here and at WR.
Malabus
Make the Prestbury Rd terracing much steeper, can’t see feck all when a lanky twat stands in front of me.
Lord Elpuz
I would like to see a ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ style show at half time, with a cunning twist:

A “Cheltenham’s got Striker Talent” show, to help uncover local Centre Forward talent.

So how would this work? Simple, invite local footballers to the LCI as contestants. They are then blindfolded at half time and led out onto the pitch to where the rear end of a cow is waiting. Still blindfolded, the contestant is then handed a banjo. If they are able to hit the cows rear end with the banjo whilst still blindfolded, they get a contract. We could uncover our next £1M protégé, unless the RSPCA, NUF, or Forest Green Rovers get to him first.
everyman
theidlerich wrote:1 - Would the Stewards please inform the large guy a couple of seats in front [T&B stand] to shout less loudly when he gets carried away [often - especially to the lino - "carried away".....preferably some distance ie north of Tewkesbury or even Chipping Campden]. Rude, ill-mannered and he blocks our view when he stands up! [ps The Stewards do a fantastic job - well done.]
2 - Transfer list printed as soon as possible - with DW on it! [that will please a few and I'll wait for the cutting replies..]
3 - Bring in a Nuoble type CF - quick, skillful, strong.....are there any out there?
4 - Turn the volume down on the tannoy when the "scoreboard" is showing clips - can't see it anyway.
5 - Bring back the half-time challenge - but with a dummy set of goalposts to one side of the goal. The speedy skips idea was barmy and nigh on impossible!
6 - Wish for a White Knight with some cash to join the Board - with good intentions please not. Not that there is much asset stripping to do!
7 - Shorter queues at half time in the T&B stand.
8 - Name Labels for the Directors and they should be chatting to fans on entry to gauge opinions well before the game.
.....That will do for a start......oh and a truce with OTC please - he's harmless.
re;Directors ,the new guys are very shy in coming to the fore,looks as though P.B. will have to carry on until someone with enough front/money appears in the future ?
Campden Robin
Regarding anyone having a go at the either of the referees assistant (linesman is an old term) or referee for that matter I would consider this completely understandable given the poor decisions we have to endure on a week by week basis.

Plus also I believe fans should be encouraged to get behind the team and a little bit of moaning at a linesman is pretty normal for a football match you will find.
confused.com
I am still filled with regret that the lady in about row C block 3 of the CF stand, has lost her passion for abusing the linesman. If the match was not going well, it was always a piece of theatre.
Now all she does is supply coffee for half Oc CF. Please revert back to your old passionate ways!!!
Hubert Parry
Mr "Nothing Side" is still in the CF Stand in full voice, every game, every minute.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Mr "Nothing Side" is still in the CF Stand in full voice, every game, every minute.
"Should beat this rubbish".

Best was in one of our promotion seasons where we were 3-0 up vs Rushden at HT. Game won we eased up second half to save energy for crucial fixtures and let Rushden get one back. Mr "Nothing Side" and his twin both stormed out after about 70 minutes in disgust we hadn't added to our lead.
confused.com
Also enjoy the expert who sits near me in block 3, comes with his son. Not sure how he can spare the time as his work as a sky sports pundit must eat into his Saturday afternoons. Every week 'you will see better in the park tomorrow'.
asl
My mate in the Paddock frequently gets a bit anxious whenever the opposition are attacking down the flanks and invariably comes out with "DON'T LET HIM CROSS IT!!!!"

I always like to think the full-back can hear him and is mentally going "Ah! Thanks for that. Good tip."
confused.com
Pity they don't respond lol
Rulistening
confused.com wrote:Also enjoy the expert who sits near me in block 3, comes with his son. Not sure how he can spare the time as his work as a sky sports pundit must eat into his Saturday afternoons. Every week 'you will see better in the park tomorrow'.
Is that the bloke who shouts at the linesman all game? i sit miles away from him and can hear him clear as anything. Got to love that commitment :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
"Get a grip" is the cry from one of the old boys near me directed to the match officials each match.
confused.com
No this gut is in row K. But I know who you mean!! Foghorn cleghorn
Shade
Glad to see I haven't made it on to this list yet. I tend to occasionally lose myself in tight games late on and let the odd profanity go. But then, I sit very close to "wake it up, Cheltenham" guy, who I have known to be in the In2Print/CF for at least 12 years. He doesn't shout it quite as much as he used to though, but he does usually shout "you're a disgrace, referee/linesman, an absolute disgrace" on average three times a game these days :lol:
confused.com
Do you remember the old guy in the I2P who used to shout out Oi Oi Oi every time their defence got the ball. In the hope that they might think they were being closed down
Campden Robin
To put point 1 into some context from the original post, surely we want to encourage fans to stay and not sling them to Tewkesbury or elsewhere! Sounds like a passionate fan who may be a regular, maybe as a whole the whole stand should get behind the team a bit more?

In the press recently there was awful news of fans from a Scottish club throwing fake eyeballs at an opposition player who lost his eye in his youth. Also Livermore from West Brom was abused about the death of his son, so I think a fan having a bit of a go at an official really isn't an issue compared to other incidents that happen in English/Scottish football.

Just a thought......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Campden Robin wrote:To put point 1 into some context from the original post, surely we want to encourage fans to stay and not sling them to Tewkesbury or elsewhere! Sounds like a passionate fan who may be a regular, maybe as a whole the whole stand should get behind the team a bit more?

In the press recently there was awful news of fans from a Scottish club throwing fake eyeballs at an opposition player who lost his eye in his youth. Also Livermore from West Brom was abused about the death of his son, so I think a fan having a bit of a go at an official really isn't an issue compared to other incidents that happen in English/Scottish football.

Just a thought......
That is very true. Don't want or need scum like you describe at WR.

Not sure people were criticising our fellow WR attendees, just laughing at their antics which are all part of an enjoyable match day experience in my view. What is football without characters? Be a shame when characters are finally priced out or marginalised from the game. When I lived in Islington I used to watch Arsenal games in the launderette with the owner. He had to give his season ticket up ten years ago due to cost and used to say that "football isn't for people like me any more, we aren't wanted at the Emirates". Much rather watch a match with characters like that than clones in the stands.
theidlerich
To answer Campden Robin: re point 1: I'd hate to thrust this guy your way (up north!), the season ticket holders and regulars around him are amused at his antics as we are used to him now. But, not so long ago a young family plus friends ( youngsters age8/9/10 ish were in front of him and were seriously frightened. I don't like swearing or rude connotations. ( not good in front of Youngsters) and believe this should be frowned on and if loud and persistent that person should be removed (more active stewarding required).
Banter and annoyance (anger???) at serious fouls, poor ref and Lino decisions are part and parcel of the game, and as such have to be accepted. But would like to see less chat back to the ref by players in games. If too heated then the ref should move the kick 5m upfield;repeated offense - off!
Campden Robin
Not really a Northerly place although admittedly it is North of Cheltenham approx 25 miles.

How on earth would you know if someone is scared if you are 4 or 5 rows away? Have you ever spoken with the person you refer to? How long has this been a gripe of yours?

I have been in the stand a considerable time now, a ST holder on some seasons but not currently. On a regular basis I think to myself how quiet the area is and sometimes how the area is more akin to a Cricket crowd than a Football Crowd with even some people upset when a few chant "Red Army" or even "Come on Cheltenham".

Agree persistent swearing not good in front of youngsters but the odd bit of colourful language is part and parcel football and most sport and often day to day working life. Besides if the said youngsters play football at Under 12's or whatever age you will often see parents on the sides far worse than anyone at CTFC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Campden Robin wrote:Not really a Northerly place although admittedly it is North of Cheltenham approx 25 miles.

How on earth would you know if someone is scared if you are 4 or 5 rows away? Have you ever spoken with the person you refer to? How long has this been a gripe of yours?

I have been in the stand a considerable time now, a ST holder on some seasons but not currently. On a regular basis I think to myself how quiet the area is and sometimes how the area is more akin to a Cricket crowd than a Football Crowd with even some people upset when a few chant "Red Army" or even "Come on Cheltenham".

Agree persistent swearing not good in front of youngsters but the odd bit of colourful language is part and parcel football and most sport and often day to day working life. Besides if the said youngsters play football at Under 12's or whatever age you will often see parents on the sides far worse than anyone at CTFC.
And those parents are a disgrace and should be at anger management classes rather than Sunday morning football.

It may be part of the game historically though that doesn't mean it is welcoming. One reason I get to fewer games I would like is because my wife gets frightened by individuals or groups shouting, especially when they seem in an angry rage like your typical football supporter, so she won't come to games with me.

So it depends on how many people and who you want to attract to matches as to what your view on angry/swearing behaviour is.

Personally I sit in the middle. You have to accept some passion, chanting and emotional responses to the action. However there are clearly some in the stands who should be seeking professional help for their issues rather than inflicting on other supporters.