Dillon Phillips to Forest Green

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

triggo
If true they may just have saved their season, the current keeper has thrown a few in lately :lol:
Ralph
Signed for them now so they say
King giraffe iii
Decent keeper from what I recall. Can't be any worse than Collins. Unless he has all of his confidence sucked out of him by Cooper.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Throwing a kid with no league experience into a relegation battle and a team who ship goals. Could end badly.
confused.com
Never quite got the adoration heaped on DP. He was a decent keeper, no more than that. He had the luxury of playing behind a team that was a class above those we were up against more often than not. Also the defence we had that year was good. Flatt did no worse than DP for the remainder of the season and we all know the end to that story. Agree with RCS, in a dog fight you need men not boys
Oldun
Shows what money can do! We couldn't persuade him (or Charlton) to get him to Whaddon but the team that is bottom of the league with an awful manager, poor support and dreadful reputation can do it. Wonder how that works!
The Old TomCat
triggo wrote:If true they may just have saved their season, the current keeper has thrown a few in lately :lol:
Thank you for the positive heads up concerning Dillon.
I had forgotten that he spend a season at WR as first team goalkeeper in the title winning team. I had to Wikipedia his name.
All at TNL will be hoping that he can repeat that same good form for FGR as he did for CTFC.
confused.com
Wouldn't swap him for Flinders. Would hate to see DP playing behind our current defence. Flinders is exactly what L2 needs. Experience, calm and gives confidence to a wobbly defence.
You can't buy experience. He will probably be an asset to them a couple of years down the line. However, you have to ask, why was nobody else prepared to pay whatever sum fgr have paid for him ?
Just because he was one of the lads and turned up as a supporter when injured, does not hide the fact, he got a pretty easy ride during our Champions year.
When in trouble , we turned to SB. Am not his greatest fan as an all round goal keeper, but he was what was needed in the situation we were in. Can't say I would say the same about DP. Like the other two signings they have announced, they do seem odd when in a relegation battle. I think their season will be defined by who (if any) they lose in January. Unless of course MC is one of them
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If MC and CC go they have a chance. If Doidge goes they are doomed.

Wonder how Dillon will cope with MC barking at him to play slow passes out from the back, which is where Collins has gone wrong. By all accounts, once MC was in the stands Collins looked much more assured throwing and kicking it out normally, without MC berating him to play suicide passes.

At least we know in April to get Graham, Wright and Pell in the box and put some high balls in for the diminutive Phillips to flap at.
confused.com
triggo wrote:If true they may just have saved their season, the current keeper has thrown a few in lately :lol:
And by all accounts has also kept them in games. Seemingly more good saves than errors. If he was so poor, surely they would have addressed the situation before now ?
A large portion of his problems, must come from fgr style of play. Which leaves him exposed. I.E. leaving 2 full backs back fro goal kicks etc. Thus constantly playing the opposition on side for kicks. Any wayward kick or header won by the opposition, immediately sees him facing at the best a 2 on 2. Hardly a way to protect a keeper who may be getting low on confidence
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
And by all accounts has also kept them in games. Seemingly more good saves than errors. If he was so poor, surely they would have addressed the situation before now ?
A large portion of his problems, must come from fgr style of play. Which leaves him exposed. I.E. leaving 2 full backs back fro goal kicks etc. Thus constantly playing the opposition on side for kicks. Any wayward kick or header won by the opposition, immediately sees him facing at the best a 2 on 2. Hardly a way to protect a keeper who may be getting low on confidence
Yup, usually pulls off a few great saves a match which is the job of a goal keeper. Playing one twos and passes like Pirlo is not the job of a L2 keeper despite what MC thinks. Phillips won't do any better under MC's command.
Robin
Oldun wrote:Shows what money can do! We couldn't persuade him (or Charlton) to get him to Whaddon but the team that is bottom of the league with an awful manager, poor support and dreadful reputation can do it. Wonder how that works!
That isn't strictly true Dillon was desperate to come back the issue was Charlton couldn't sign a replacement back up keeper in time. It had nothing to do with money on either occasion.
confused.com
In the end it has turned out well for us, a good experienced keeper who is more often that not is commanding and a safe pair of hands
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:In the end it has turned out well for us, a good experienced keeper who is more often that not is commanding and a safe pair of hands
Exactly, rather have Flinders than a Flatt/Phillips/Collins.
Ralph
Flinders for me too.. Done good this season
little mo
Flinders for me too. But still think Dillon is a more than decent keeper.
confused.com
He was decent behind that outfield. Flatt was decent behind that outfield and we were way better than any opposition they both met
Shade
Let's not be sour. Dillon Phillips, for us, was a very good goalkeeper for his age. He made a lot of very good saves, made very few errors and GJ said he was the best goalkeeper he's had play for him. Saying Flatt was just as good behind our defence is a f#!$ outrage - Flatt at Wrexham is all the proof I need to give. Oddly, in the first game against Wrexham, Phillips even got an assist.

When DP reaches prime goalkeeping age, around 27-31, I'd expect him to be playing in the Championship, if not warming the bench at a mid-to-lower Prem team, hoping to get a chance. Anyone who thinks he won't ever reach that level, I only have to point out that a "Top 6 club" in Liverpool are still playing Simon "floppy hands" Mignolet in goal. That said, there are a lot of goalkeepers out there that hover around the same level of quality and there are only a limited number of spaces for them in professional football, so it's all tight as to whether anybody takes a punt on this one or that one.
confused.com
Sour? I was not clamouring for him to come back in August, so am quite happy to still say he was a decent keeper. In my eyes he is a long way form being very very good! Our record with Flatt in goal was easily good enough to get us over the line, so no reason to think he would not have done it for the entire season. The only good keeper we have had is Butland and even he is not very very good! From what I recall DP was not the easiest watch when high balls came in. But quite happy to be proven wrong as the fortunes of FGR are of little consequence to me. Apart from being mildly amusing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
DP certainly made mistakes and had dodgy moments but when playing against pub team part timers it didn't matter. Same as how Downes and Parslow looked solid at that level but like a comedy duo act in L2.
Shade
I wasn't saying that you in particular were being sour, confused, just everyone now saying he wasn't that good.

Just for the record, our record with Flatt in goal in the 15/16 was played 10, 7 wins, 1 draw, 2 defeats, conceded 7.
With Phillips, I think he started every other NL game for us, so it was it was played 35 3/4, 22 wins, 10 draws, 3 defeats (one of those defeats was the game he came off injured), conceded 22.
confused.com
So there records are broadly similar on goals conceded? Just don't think teams in Charltons position would be selling a very very good goalkeeper when they didn't need to. Unless they have a bag full of them down there
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
DP always been massively over rated amongst some CTFC fans, the way some of them go on.
Shade
confused.com wrote:So there records are broadly similar on goals conceded? Just don't think teams in Charltons position would be selling a very very good goalkeeper when they didn't need to. Unless they have a bag full of them down there
Too many very's. I only used 1. And I said "for us".

Yes, on goals conceded Flatt's was actually slightly better per game but, of those 10 games he played for us, we faced Welling (relegated) Boreham Wood (19th) Guiseley (20th), Woking (w4-0), Halifax (relegated) and two other matches when we'd already wrapped up the title. The only real tests he faced were Grimsby, Wrexham and Braintree, where we lost 2 and conceded 4.
Also, you seem to be discounting the fact that he was about 20/21, which is very young for a first team goalkeeper.

Boring myself now. Basically, I think people are being a bit harsh on him because he's going to FGR, because they're generally miserable in life, or because they like to try and wind people up.
Robin
Is Dillon actually going to FGR? The way I read it is they want to sign him but that's as far as it's got.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
confused.com wrote:So there records are broadly similar on goals conceded? Just don't think teams in Charltons position would be selling a very very good goalkeeper when they didn't need to. Unless they have a bag full of them down there
Too many very's. I only used 1. And I said "for us".

Yes, on goals conceded Flatt's was actually slightly better per game but, of those 10 games he played for us, we faced Welling (relegated) Boreham Wood (19th) Guiseley (20th), Woking (w4-0), Halifax (relegated) and two other matches when we'd already wrapped up the title. The only real tests he faced were Grimsby, Wrexham and Braintree, where we lost 2 and conceded 4.
Also, you seem to be discounting the fact that he was about 20/21, which is very young for a first team goalkeeper.

Boring myself now. Basically, I think people are being a bit harsh on him because he's going to FGR, because they're generally miserable in life, or because they like to try and wind people up.
I am only being harsh following the summer long cream fest by most on here during the last two summers as if DP signing would be like the second coming of Christ.
little mo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:DP always been massively over rated amongst some CTFC fans, the way some of them go on.
A bit like Brian Graham then. :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
They also want Tom King from Millwall, to replace both keepers: http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sp ... en-1003055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42627190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look Dills is going to them now :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42627190

Doesn't look Dills is going to them now :lol:
DP/Charlton messing FGR about like they did us.

Charlton have recently changed Chief Exec - maybe the new one wanted Phillips to get the extension as an opportunity to get Vince to put another zero on the end of the transfer fee.
vickeryc
confused.com wrote:Sour? I was not clamouring for him to come back in August, so am quite happy to still say he was a decent keeper. In my eyes he is a long way form being very very good! Our record with Flatt in goal was easily good enough to get us over the line, so no reason to think he would not have done it for the entire season. The only good keeper we have had is Butland and even he is not very very good! From what I recall DP was not the easiest watch when high balls came in. But quite happy to be proven wrong as the fortunes of FGR are of little consequence to me. Apart from being mildly amusing
:lol: :lol: :lol: You really do spout some rubbish at times. Just for the record, I agree with Shade - most of the 'sour' comments directed towards Dillon Phillips (not just by Confused) were clearly motivated by the interest from FGR.
Ihearye
Curious one this. Can't fathom how anybody would rate any UK keeper as very very good. If Jack was even very good he would not be at Stoke. Of course if you are comparing him to the lad who plays 5 aside with you then he is very very good!
Very very good is areola, oblak, de gea, Courtois, buffon, stegen, lloris, ederson, navas. You are deluded if you think Jack is very very good. Just saying
Lord Elpuz
Ihearye wrote:Curious one this. Can't fathom how anybody would rate any UK keeper as very very good. If Jack was even very good he would not be at Stoke. Of course if you are comparing him to the lad who plays 5 aside with you then he is very very good!
Very very good is areola, oblak, de gea, Courtois, buffon, stegen, lloris, ederson, navas. You are deluded if you think Jack is very very good. Just saying
Steady on there, young fellow me lad. England won the World Cup in 1966 with a most excellent goalkeeper by the name of Gordon Banks. That remarkably fine fellow played for Stoke City FC.

Master Butland is still a relatively young goalkeeper and will not reach his prime for another few years. His rise to the top has been hampered by lengthy injuries, ironically caused when playing for England at a tender age.

I would not be surprised if a major transfer comes his way before he reaches the age of 30.
Shade
I'd also throw out there that Chelsea wanted to sign Butland but he chose to go to Stoke instead as he wanted to play more games.
Ihearye
Indeed Mr Banks WAS a very very good keeper, and Mr Butland MAY become a very very good keeper. But he is not that now and certainly was not that when with us. Agree that chelsea were interested, but as back up to a veryy very good keeper. Which sort of backs up the discussion?