Dillon Phillips to Forest Green

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Maybe there was one very too many in Shade's earlier post, but, taken in the context of League 2, Butland's performances for us ranked as very good in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think Butland will replace Mignolet and Liverpool this summer. Especially if (hopefully) Stoke go down.
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think Butland will replace Mignolet and Liverpool this summer. Especially if (hopefully) Stoke go down.
I suspect Butland will aim higher than an arrogant and deluded little selling club, living on its well past it glory days, surviving off the talent that came through the Southampton Youth Academy, yet still thinks of itself as a massive club. Butland deserves better.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think Butland will replace Mignolet and Liverpool this summer. Especially if (hopefully) Stoke go down.
I suspect Butland will aim higher than an arrogant and deluded little selling club, living on its well past it glory days, surviving off the talent that came through the Southampton Youth Academy, yet still thinks of itself as a massive club. Butland deserves better.
Thought the prospect of Champions League football, one of the richest owners and big stadium redevelopment would be appealing.

Especially as none of the other Champions League teams need a keeper unless Courtois and De Gea get sold.
Shade
Ihearye wrote:Indeed Mr Banks WAS a very very good keeper, and Mr Butland MAY become a very very good keeper. But he is not that now and certainly was not that when with us. Agree that chelsea were interested, but as back up to a veryy very good keeper. Which sort of backs up the discussion?
You're right, what are people thinking. You're obviously c!#p if Chelsea only want you as back up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Indeed Mr Banks WAS a very very good keeper, and Mr Butland MAY become a very very good keeper. But he is not that now and certainly was not that when with us. Agree that chelsea were interested, but as back up to a veryy very good keeper. Which sort of backs up the discussion?
You're right, what are people thinking. You're obviously c!#p if Chelsea only want you as back up.
Jack will prove the doubters wrong in the world cup.
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Thought the prospect of Champions League football, one of the richest owners and big stadium redevelopment would be appealing.
One name describes how the above can’t be true: “Coutinho”
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:
A player who stayed last summer even when Barcelona were agitating, and who has demonstrated that only Barcelona were big enough to attract him away as there is not much bigger than Liverpool in the Prem apart from Man City (if players are after money).

Same way De Gea or Courtois will only leave if Barca or Real come knocking. Maybe PSG.

So unless you are suggesting Butland - a yet unproven young keeper shipping three goals a game at relegation bound Stoke - will a move straight to City, Barca, Real or PSG without a stepping stone of Liverpool, Man U or Chelsea (who will join City in the top four) I am not sure what point you are making.

Coutinho is regarded as one of the very best in the world, in the small group of elite with Messi and Ronaldo. Butland is far from that status.
Lord Elpuz
Lord Elpuz wrote:
A player who stayed last summer even when Barcelona were agitating, and who has demonstrated that only Barcelona were big enough to attract him away as there is not much bigger than Liverpool in the Prem apart from Man City (if players are after money).

Same way De Gea or Courtois will only leave if Barca or Real come knocking. Maybe PSG.

So unless you are suggesting Butland - a yet unproven young keeper shipping three goals a game at relegation bound Stoke - will a move straight to City, Barca, Real or PSG without a stepping stone of Liverpool, Man U or Chelsea (who will join City in the top four) I am not sure what point you are making.

Coutinho is regarded as one of the very best in the world, in the small group of elite with Messi and Ronaldo. Butland is far from that status.
Liverpool fans are guaranteed to take a bigger bite than a great white ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not sure why you think I am a Liverpool fan. Cheltenham and Fulham my sides.
Ihearye
No need for such extremes Mr Shade. He is definitely not cr@p! Neither is he very very good. Just somewhere in between. Te chelsea have no idea if they saw him as. Aa second third of fourth choice.
Re Liverpool. Top 2ngliash teams go abroad for their keepers, it won't happen
Shade
Blimey. Firstly, I was "very, very" obviously taking the mick. Secondly, somebody in this thread decided to start using "very, very good", "very good", "good" and "not very good", like that's some kind of scale that keepers are rated, completely taking out age factors and how good a keeper may become. I would say anyone that says Butland or Phillips weren't that good for us need to look back at old threads on this forum to see how much they were talked about at the time, and go back and watch old highlights of games they were involved in for us.

Jack Butland has the potential to be world class. There, I said it. Anyone who disagrees is entitled to their opinion but there is a reason Chelsea wanted him. JB decided it was better for him, at that stage of his young career, to go to Stoke and get regular games, rather than sit on Chelsea's bench or be loaned out until they were eventually ready to play him. And he was proved correct when he got regular PL games and got called up to the England squad. Then he got a very untimely injury that ruined the next year for him.

Dillon Phillips has the potential to be a Championship player. " " ". No, he's not as good as JB was for us and he's not going to be as good as JB will be but, again, he is young. If Charlton get rid of him it says more about where they are as a club. The fact that they seem to not be letting him go again now shows that they don't really know what they're doing and it would be in Dillon's best career interests to get away from there if he can, even if it means dropping down a division or even two. He's basically doing, unwillingly I expect, what JB refused to do and sitting on a bench (AFAIK) instead of getting more experience.