Cheltenham Town v Accrington Stanley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction: http://bit.ly/AccStanleyHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alf
Hopes were high after last week but it’s one step forward six back this season. What’s happened to last week’s composure and confidence in front of goal? We should have been at least two up before they scored. Again, losing to an average side whom we have matched or bettered all over the park except in front of goal. So frustrating!
Robin
I agree, two pieces of poor defending and woeful finishing costs us three points today.
Malabus
Awful,shocking and Hoff and hope boredom. I have neck ache.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
art vandalay
Not a bad performance by any means. We had a lot of the ball and created several very good chances - excellent chance for Mo in first half that he would usually bury, then twice hit the bar and one cleared off the line - but we made it difficult by conceding 2 really soft goals. Of course, only 2 goals in our last 5 home league games probably says something.

Fair play to Accrington. I thought they were a tidy team, nothing spectacular but they worked hard to close us down all over the park.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Stanley showed what it takes to get top three.

Faster than us in almost every position. Good play with the ball and great corner and movement for the goal. After which they were great at spoiling and killing the game.

Probably the best all round side I have seen in L2 this season. Mansfield just spoil. Luton just try and outplay. Accrington can outplay and spoil.
Robin
Accrington were solid and well organised but not a patch on Luton, Lincoln, Swindon, Mansfield or Exeter RCS.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I thought Mansfield were awful. Scrappy but no free flowing football. Accrington could go toe to toe with Luton in free flowing footy, or go fist to fist with Mansfield in a thug battle. Having both qualities is rare. They will go up.
asl
Robin wrote:I agree, two pieces of poor defending and woeful finishing costs us three points today.
Surely they cost us *one* point...? Inability to get more than 4 of 17 shots on target cost us *three* points...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Robin wrote:I agree, two pieces of poor defending and woeful finishing costs us three points today.
Surely they cost us *one* point...? Inability to get more than 4 of 17 shots on target cost us *three* points...
Yup. You could have a solid defence but if you can’t score, or barely get any shots on target, you are not going to win games.

When a team is scoring it takes the pressure off the defence. At the moment defenders know that one goal conceded means we are not going to win, so the pressure and nerves are impacting mindset and performance before the game even starts.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I thought Mansfield were awful. Scrappy but no free flowing football. Accrington could go toe to toe with Luton in free flowing footy, or go fist to fist with Mansfield in a thug battle. Having both qualities is rare. They will go up.
Accrington are good, they did their homework, they new they would get chances and took them when they arrived. No panicking at all. Ten minutes into the 2nd half they new the game was won.
Rulistening
Well that was a bit rubbish.. awful defending yet again letting us down. Not sure who was to blame for their second goal as it looked like grimes left it and Manny took too soft of a touch to get it back to flinders.

Can't say we didnt have the chances that game, just wasted them again. I still stand by we must be the worst team in world football at dealing with/taking set pieces. Its embarrassing
Oldun
Didn't know whether to post here or on the thread about the Pub Team defending. So harsh to come away from that today and blame the defenders for their individual mistakes. Of course the guy marking Kee for the first goal was at fault and likewise Manny messed up for the second. But what about all the other guys all of whom made mistakes but without the dramatic results. Take Mo...dreadful error when clean through, Daws when his shot was saved but should have put it away, Scotty for several poor clearances.....etc etc Need I go on? They are Div 2 players and all have errors in them.
In the first half we were ok and should have gone in ahead. In the second we were poor except in last five when we nearly scored a couple.
Stanley were not up to much, rode their luck and made the most of our errors which makes it all so frustrating as we could/should be where they are in the table. Jackson was impressive at working the spaces.
Finally I return to the point I made after Newport. We are getting absolutely no rub of the green at present.(with the possible exception of the sending off last Sat.) We concede deflected goals, worldies like the Newport one against us but at the moment nothing drops for us, especially in the two penalty areas. Hopefully that will change soon and we can move up the table. One amazing unbeaten run needed now though!
PS Ref also had one or two errors in him!
theidlerich
Well should have been two up; first on 15 mins Eisa blazed away instead of placing it; five mins later Dawson somehow missed a sitter as well. Two pathetic defending errors and we are two down. The hoof and hope routine as usual; ineffective but we persist! Have given up asking why! Passing non-existent; crosses and corners dire. A little life in the final few minutes when we rattled the bar a couple of times but t’was not going to go in. Adebayo will need some game time to adjust to the team and ‘pace’ of the game, one decent attempt which cleared the bar; Graham offered little as his replacement. Personally can see the spectre of a relegation scrap on the horizon. Need some steel in central midfield and defence; over to you GJ.
I will mention the officials too; ref appalling, very; T&B side yellow flag lino even worse. How come they are officiating at this level?
longmover
We were playing a team that are now 3rd in the league. lets not be too harsh. But I agree we seem to be making the same mistakes.
Robin
longmover wrote:We were playing a team that are now 3rd in the league. lets not be too harsh. But I agree we seem to be making the same mistakes.
A team in third yes but one we probably should have beaten today had we buried our chances and not made silly mistakes, I feel that is the frustration.
Alf
If we were getting pasted by the opposition when we lose games then I would think ‘ok,,,,we’re just not good enough for this league’ and look forward to a year in the National League again. That’s what is so frustrating. I honestly don’t think that Stanley were better than us apart from their finishing. They sat back and rode their luck and picked us off when they had the opportunities. Our two early missed chances were diabolical. Neither hit the target and for pro footballers that isn’t good enough. After Odelusi scored last week it was like ‘oh, so that’s what you have to do to score a goal’ and we started scoring for fun. Today it was like last week never happened.I do think the ref was far too lenient with them and their over aggressive tactics but s#!t happens and you have to deal with it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Well should have been two up; first on 15 mins Eisa blazed away instead of placing it; five mins later Dawson somehow missed a sitter as well. Two pathetic defending errors and we are two down. The hoof and hope routine as usual; ineffective but we persist! Have given up asking why! Passing non-existent; crosses and corners dire. A little life in the final few minutes when we rattled the bar a couple of times but t’was not going to go in. Adebayo will need some game time to adjust to the team and ‘pace’ of the game, one decent attempt which cleared the bar; Graham offered little as his replacement. Personally can see the spectre of a relegation scrap on the horizon. Need some steel in central midfield and defence; over to you GJ.
I will mention the officials too; ref appalling, very; T&B side yellow flag lino even worse. How come they are officiating at this level?

Love your style of reporting. Like a diplomatic memo. Le Carre-esque.

Can't understand why Eisa blasted.
okusman
The ball bobbled up as he struck it. Quite clear from where I stood.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
okusman wrote:The ball bobbled up as he struck it. Quite clear from where I stood.
Yes everyone saw the bobble. I was asking why he blasted it, not why he sliced it.
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
theidlerich wrote:Well should have been two up; first on 15 mins Eisa blazed away instead of placing it; five mins later Dawson somehow missed a sitter as well. Two pathetic defending errors and we are two down. The hoof and hope routine as usual; ineffective but we persist! Have given up asking why! Passing non-existent; crosses and corners dire. A little life in the final few minutes when we rattled the bar a couple of times but t’was not going to go in. Adebayo will need some game time to adjust to the team and ‘pace’ of the game, one decent attempt which cleared the bar; Graham offered little as his replacement. Personally can see the spectre of a relegation scrap on the horizon. Need some steel in central midfield and defence; over to you GJ.

Love your style of reporting. Like a diplomatic memo. Le Carre-esque.

Can't understand why Eisa blasted.

.......you could turn it round and say."...that blasted Eisa..."! :)

I also was in direct line of 'that shot' and wondered that.......the pitch is beginning to cut up again.