Some thoughts from Mansfield

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsMansfield" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Swolley
I think the referee was correct on all the major decisions. Evans and Raynor amped up the atmosphere with their antics, but in the end that only helped get Johnson sent to the stands. Raynor should have gone with him. The on field decisions were all correct and it is very difficult for a referee to calm the players down in such a heated game so I have some sympathy for him. Haydn White's tackle was horrendous and the worst of the game - red all day long. Both the Cheltenham reds were also correct from where I was sat (very close in the West Stand).

I don't think Cheltenham can complain about decisions here or even the antics of the Stags management. They did what they do. Johnson reacted. Both sides got stuck in, but Cheltenham were aiming to waste time at 1-1 and 2-1, players were goading the home fans and some of the fouls were pretty nasty. It's a long long time since I've seen as nasty a performance as that from a visiting side at Field Mill, but I'm willing to put it down to the atmosphere of the game, as I don't remember Cheltenham or any Gary Johnson side being like that before. I thought you were much better without possession than Mansfield and pressed really well from the off. Unlucky to be level at half-time, but then lucky to go 2-1 when you did. A draw would have been a fair result.
Swolley
All big decisions were spot on. The only thing he got wrong was that Raynor should have been sent to the stands with Johnson. Neither side can complain about reds or the penalty.

It's interesting how fans of both sides are so adamant that the other side was so dirty. I'd consider myself to be a fair minded, typical lower league fan and Cheltenham were the dirtiest side I've seen in a long time with all the diving, time wasting and fouling, but I hear Robins fans saying similar things about us. Maybe it was just one of those games as I'm sure neither side is normally like that.
longmover
I'd like to see CTFC more aggressive (dirty? maybe), we've been too nice since 1999 and much to our detriment. a little bit more agro wouldn't go a miss.
MSB
longmover wrote:I'd like to see CTFC more aggressive (dirty? maybe), we've been too nice since 1999 and much to our detriment. a little bit more agro wouldn't go a miss.
There have certainly been times where we've been aggressive/dirty. See Storer vs Lincoln, Wright/Pell vs Grimsby, unfortunately for us we're just not as good at getting away with it!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Swolley wrote:All big decisions were spot on. The only thing he got wrong was that Raynor should have been sent to the stands with Johnson. Neither side can complain about reds or the penalty.

It's interesting how fans of both sides are so adamant that the other side was so dirty. I'd consider myself to be a fair minded, typical lower league fan and Cheltenham were the dirtiest side I've seen in a long time with all the diving, time wasting and fouling, but I hear Robins fans saying similar things about us. Maybe it was just one of those games as I'm sure neither side is normally like that.
Typical Evans performance. Every game I have seen him manage whether Boston, Crawley pm Rotherham or whoever, the behaviour is the same. Not a manager I would ever want at my club.
Swolley
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Swolley wrote:All big decisions were spot on. The only thing he got wrong was that Raynor should have been sent to the stands with Johnson. Neither side can complain about reds or the penalty.

Typical Evans performance. Every game I have seen him manage whether Boston, Crawley pm Rotherham or whoever, the behaviour is the same. Not a manager I would ever want at my club.
It's the way he is mate. We've had to accept that we have to put up with his antics and mind games as that's the price for success with him.

That said, I thought he was outdone for once on Saturday by Johnson and co.
Shade
Nobody should have to accept his antics. There should be no place for that behaviour in the professional game.
Swolley
Shade wrote:Nobody should have to accept his antics. There should be no place for that behaviour in the professional game.
We see it every weekend in the Prem. Mourinho, Conte, etc. are constantly in the 4th official's ear and contesting every decision. Ferguson was the same. Evans normally speaks very respectfully in interviews, but turns into Sir Alex Mourinho on matchday. I was a bit surprised at Gary Johnson too. Didn't think he was like that.
Shade
Like what? Having a word with your player for getting ours sent off by running into his stationary arm? Any manager would do that. And he shouldn't have done it, but I'm sure at least 75% of us would shove the vile Raynor if he got in our faces, especially somewhere that he shouldn't even be.

Yes, you always see managers in the 4th officials ears. Ours do, the opposition do, every week, but you certainly do not see managers, in the Prem or elsewhere, jumping around and throwing strops like Evans and Raynor do. Pardew is probably the only manager who did stuff like that when he was at Newcastle, and he spent more games in the stands than stood in his technical area.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Laughable to suggest other managers and Prem managers behave to the extremes Evans and Raynor do. They go above and beyond what is acceptable and hard to believe Stags fans on here are defending them rather than defending the honour of football. You would not see any Robins fans justifying and excusing Evans' and Raynor's behaviour of he was our manager.
ctfc-fan
Has Mourinho, Wenger and co. given their players brown envelopes too then? Thought not.
Jerry St Clair
longmover wrote:I'd like to see CTFC more aggressive (dirty? maybe), we've been too nice since 1999 and much to our detriment. a little bit more agro wouldn't go a miss.
No thanks. That’s not the sort of club I want to support.
Alf
It’s not fair physical football that is bringing the game into disrepute, it’s play acting, diving, touching their face and looking bewilderedly at the palm of their hand, rolling around squealing, conning referees etc; that brings football into disrepute. The sooner the FA realize this and start backing teams that adhere to the rules and ethics of the game, the sooner the tactics that are employed by some managers will be banished. This wasn’t an unfortunate ‘one off’, it happens every time we play this team.
Robin
We definitely knew how to apply the dark arts under Cotterill, there were not many games where we got bullied back then but the football wasn't really pretty until Tony Naylor came along.
Swolley
Shade wrote:Like what? Having a word with your player for getting ours sent off by running into his stationary arm? Any manager would do that. And he shouldn't have done it, but I'm sure at least 75% of us would shove the vile Raynor if he got in our faces, especially somewhere that he shouldn't even be.

Yes, you always see managers in the 4th officials ears. Ours do, the opposition do, every week, but you certainly do not see managers, in the Prem or elsewhere, jumping around and throwing strops like Evans and Raynor do. Pardew is probably the only manager who did stuff like that when he was at Newcastle, and he spent more games in the stands than stood in his technical area.
Justifying his actions? Is that what you think I'm doing? I know you're all emotional right now, but I suggest you read back my posts and you'll see I've only been critical of Evans and Raynor.
Swolley
Shade wrote:Like what? Having a word with your player for getting ours sent off by running into his stationary arm? Any manager would do that. And he shouldn't have done it, but I'm sure at least 75% of us would shove the vile Raynor if he got in our faces, especially somewhere that he shouldn't even be.

Rose ran into his elbow? Please. The lad swung out at him caught him in the face. He didn't even jump so no excuse. I was sat right in front of him so try to get past your bias and accept that some people had a better view than you. Did you even go? If you did you'll know that it's not just Johnson's aggression towards our player and unnecessary push of Raynor that I take exception to. The tactics employed were a disgrace at times - telling your players to waste time at ever stoppage until they got booked for it, allowing his players to roll around and stay down for 5 minutes because of a lip injury, pumping his fist at our fans when you scored, etc, etc. I said he's not usually like that and i was surprised, but don't defend him. He and his players should be thoroughly embarrassed at the way they conducted themselves.
little mo
Swolley wrote:

Rose ran into his elbow? Please. The lad swung out at him caught him in the face. He didn't even jump so no excuse. I was sat right in front of him so try to get past your bias and accept that some people had a better view than you. Did you even go? If you did you'll know that it's not just Johnson's aggression towards our player and unnecessary push of Raynor that I take exception to. The tactics employed were a disgrace at times - telling your players to waste time at ever stoppage until they got booked for it, allowing his players to roll around and stay down for 5 minutes because of a lip injury, pumping his fist at our fans when you scored, etc, etc. I said he's not usually like that and i was surprised, but don't defend him. He and his players should be thoroughly embarrassed at the way they conducted themselves.[/q

You have had your say, now jog off back to your own. :evil: :evil:
Swolley
You seem to have taken particular exception to hearing things as they are. The truth hurts, but listen to some of your more reasonable friends on other threads. Try not to be a bad loser eh.
Swolley
You'll all be happy to learn that Evans masterminded an away victory at Morecambe today. 94th minute winner.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Swolley wrote:You'll all be happy to learn that Evans masterminded an away victory at Morecambe today. 94th minute winner.
Already acknowledged in a different thread. A thread that has been deemed pointless and unnecessary. So your post must be doubly so. Tara.