The whole Mansfield experience.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Leaving aside all the happenings on the pitch, I would like to say something about things off the pitch at Mansfield.
Last season at the end of the game we were kept behind a locked metal fence at the back of the stand, by police and stewards,whilst they cleared a large gathering of Mansfield fans, who were throwing a few missiles in our direction and hurling abuse and threats at us. (charming).
This Saturday they did not lock us in, but to the left of the exit the supporters coach was parked, this was pretty much surrounded by police and stewards who were doing their best to move Mansfield fans on who were shouting and threatening the Chelt fans on the coach. If any of you Mansfield fans bother to read this, I would like to point out the average age of the coach users means they probably have to stop off at the post office to get their pensions before leaving for the match, so you really are some hard men. Just a thought ,did you do that with Cardiff fans last Tuesday, no, thought not.
Lastly, when asked how Mo was in his after match interview, GJ said he didn't know because they wouldn't let him down to the changing room as it wasn't safe. So the security at Field Mill is not up to scratch, should the FA not be looking into that situation
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sorry to hear that Little Mo.

Security poor but it shouldn't be needed.

I thought it was just Evans and Raynor giving the Club a grubby reputation but it sounds like the fans are doing their best off the pitch as well.

In a way I hope they get promoted so we don't need to play them again. Scenes like this really do not make football enjoyable so not playing them again would be welcome. Should the starts align as such I'd love to see the Mansfield chavs try this with the Sunderland lads or Birmingham boys in L1. There would be a few in pain at school (if they even attend) on Monday trying to sit down after having had another one ripped.
Tewkesbury Robin
The Mansfield fans appear to be obsessed with us given the number who have chosen to come on this forum to provide their valued opinions (not!)

I also noticed that Mark Helliwell posted the outcome of the disciplinary hearing yesterday and received comments from a number of Mansfield fans. Their own fans forum has run several threads devoted both to this match and the subsequent appeal. I can only assume that this is the most exciting thing to happen in this backwater for years!

Those who have posted on Mansfield`s forum are supportive of the antics of their manager and the overriding view seems to be that it should be accepted as "that is just the way they are". They also seem to think that both red cards were justified whilst accepting that the highlights footage for the first sending off was inconclusive. To a man they are critical of our cheating, diving, time wasting and GJ`s over the top reaction to Mr Raynor inviting himself into our technical area. Presumably he should have invited him to pull up a chair and make himself at home - probably preferable to sitting next to sweaty Evans for 90 minutes.

Interestingly, no mention is made of the Neanderthals who were leaning over the side of the staircase giving GJ the "w*****" salute a few inches from his face as he was being led away by the stewards. I doubt that any action was taken against these so brave individuals even though it was captured on camera. It seems that the actions of the so-called management of this club have rubbed off on the sheep that follow them (as keyboard warriors at least because I doubt that too many of those posting were actually at the game).

I for one sincerely hope that this club do not win promotion and do not expect Evans and Raynor to be there next season. I will be interested to see how they get on at Swindon in a couple of weeks although I don`t expect too many away fans to make the journey.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sums up much of the Mansfield fanbase and their sorry lives in that failing town.

If they turned their passion for hating other football teams and aggression into passion for positive football they may feel less in need of lashing out in defence of thug managers and enjoy football and life more.
Swolley
Wow, you guys need to get over it. I came here to discuss the events impartially with you as I thought I'd get a reasoned debate. My previous encounters with Cheltenham fans have been nothing but positive, including visiting Whaddon Road, which I really enjoyed, but you seem to be quite bitter about this game. All clubs have yobs, so I'm sorry for anyone who felt intimidated. It shouldn't be a part of away days, but the reality is that it is. Your fans running down the stairs to the front and goading when you scored and then waiting at the front at full time certainly didn't help. Your players and manager pumping their fists and cupping ears at our fans when you scored didn't either. If you dish it out, you have to expect to get it back I'm afraid, unfortunate as it is.
little mo
Swolley wrote:Wow, you guys need to get over it. I came here to discuss the events impartially with you as I thought I'd get a reasoned debate. My previous encounters with Cheltenham fans have been nothing but positive, including visiting Whaddon Road, which I really enjoyed, but you seem to be quite bitter about this game. All clubs have yobs, so I'm sorry for anyone who felt intimidated. It shouldn't be a part of away days, but the reality is that it is. Your fans running down the stairs to the front and goading when you scored and then waiting at the front at full time certainly didn't help. Your players and manager pumping their fists and cupping ears at our fans when you scored didn't either. If you dish it out, you have to expect to get it back I'm afraid, unfortunate as it is.
If you think that behaviour outside an away end is ok that's your problem. Now jog off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Player and fans celebrating goal should expect to be attacked and have missiles thrown at them?

And to say "it shouldn't be like that but it is" is a cowardly cop out and tacit condoning. If you don't think it should be like that then speak up and try and do something about changing how it is.
Nham68
..every club has a small core of morons. We have them , so we can’t be holier than thou. We have a core who just chant f*** forest green all the time, or we hate Gloucester. I have to explain to my 9year old son every time we go to a match that this isnt normal human behavior. When Steve Evans was sent to the stand at WR, there were plenty of Cheltenham fans hurling abuse .. in the family stand too.
I’ve seen many instances of Cheltenham fans taunting away fans in the coaches after a game on the Whaddon Road by the away end .,. that’s why we have a police presence there.

.. as to the antics of the manager (Evans). He’s just one of life’s controversial figures. He has his style , as often as it works for him, I’m sure it works against him. We were on the receiving side this time . Fine , let’s move on. A moral victory is itself a good one.

Let’s not forget that without colorful characters , the game would become as dull as ditchwater as let’s be honest, it’s not a pretty game at our level. Some like the pantomime villains .. it adds to the theatre.. without which , Saturday afternoons would be dull.

I applaud people for making the environment safer, and we cannot just accept the core of morons as acceptable .. .but we have to accept we have them hee in sleepy Cheltenham too...
Player2 Has Joined
Nham68 wrote:..every club has a small core of morons. We have them , so we can’t be holier than thou. We have a core who just chant f*** forest green all the time, or we hate Gloucester. I have to explain to my 9year old son every time we go to a match that this isnt normal human behavior. When Steve Evans was sent to the stand at WR, there were plenty of Cheltenham fans hurling abuse .. in the family stand too.
I’ve seen many instances of Cheltenham fans taunting away fans in the coaches after a game on the Whaddon Road by the away end .,. that’s why we have a police presence there.

.. as to the antics of the manager (Evans). He’s just one of life’s controversial figures. He has his style , as often as it works for him, I’m sure it works against him. We were on the receiving side this time . Fine , let’s move on. A moral victory is itself a good one.

Let’s not forget that without colorful characters , the game would become as dull as ditchwater as let’s be honest, it’s not a pretty game at our level. Some like the pantomime villains .. it adds to the theatre.. without which , Saturday afternoons would be dull.

I applaud people for making the environment safer, and we cannot just accept the core of morons as acceptable .. .but we have to accept we have them hee in sleepy Cheltenham too...
Well said! One of the most sensible things I've read in a long time.
Swolley
Spot on Nham68. Finally some sense.