Grimsby Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/GrimsbyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Grimsby on a 10 games winless run...you know what that means. :(
Ralph
Don't say that lol . I'm watching live on Ifollow today rather than right after it finishes.. Expecting us to turn the Cods over
Ralph
oh well.. 1 down already
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Crock of s#!t. Got to turn this around.
drgm
Halliwell making some valid points about square pegs in round holes and the sheer number
of useless loan players we've signed in the last season and a half. I think he quoted 21.
We have 7 at present, only 5 of which can play. Just seems a waste of budget to me
Ralph
atmosphere sounds a little lively. Some Cods protesting against Fenty and others booing them
Malabus
Another season you wish would end at Xmas.
Benctfc
At this rate I would be surprised if Johnson lasts the month.
Nesty
Benctfc wrote:At this rate I would be surprised if Johnson lasts the month.
we are building a team for the future !!
Alf
I think that as a manager you have to aim for a consistent team selection. For various reasons it just ain’t happening. I’m not entirely sure that GJ actually knows what his strongest team is. We have been in this position before where, at this stage of the season, we all thought we would never go down but teams below us went on decent runs and down we went. The warning signs are there.
Benctfc
Sellars brought on and played LWB ....
drgm
Masterstroke -Russell Slade will be completely confused
Ralph
Goal 1-1
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ditch the 5-3-2 tosh and play a proper line up.

Still, got away with it and a draw is another point and another game towards the end of this season.
Malabus
A made up poor Grimsby team....and people ecstatic for the point....:)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:A made up poor Grimsby team....and people ecstatic for the point....:)
Don’t see any ecstasy. Ben2 the only one saying it was good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Grimsby on a 10 games winless run...you know what that means. :(
Another game without a win extending the run to 11?
Benctfc
1 win in 8 games against team mainly below and around us in the table just not good enough at the moment.
drgm
We've had two draws. One against the bottom club and another against the bottom club in the form table

Gary's happy because it stops them getting closer to us in the league table.

The lack of ambition from our manager and posters like Ben2 is astonishing

You may be happy to muddle along in the bottom third but many people feel we could
and should be doing better. Poor recruitment and team selection is just one of the issues.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:We've had two draws. One against the bottom club and another against the bottom club in the form table

Gary's happy because it stops them getting closer to us in the league table.

The lack of ambition from our manager and posters like Ben2 is astonishing

You may be happy to muddle along in the bottom third but many people feel we could
and should be doing better. Poor recruitment and team selection is just one of the issues.
Re: ambition. At this stage of a mid table season there is nothing to be ambitious about. Now that play offs are too far away to reach, I personally don’t see any difference between finishing 11th, 16th or 20th. Just waiting for this boring season to end when my ambition will be for promotion next season.

I don’t think getting worked up because the manager isn’t desperate to finish a couple of meaningless places higher is a sign of being ambitious.
Rulistening
Not really good enough to get 2 points vs our last two opponents. Incredibly strange decisions yet again from GJ.

I think at this point I wouldn't sack him but id ask him to walk at the end of the season. We aren't going anywhere and apparently Sellars was playing LB...? not feeling that.
Ladyrobin
How many of you who think we are "moaners" actually were part of the 92 who went to Grimsby today? It was a long journey. It was a miserable day.
And sorry for being a moaner, but it was dreadful football.
I do not expect to win every week but I do want to see some, just some, decent football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ladyrobin wrote:How many of you who think we are "moaners" actually were part of the 92 who went to Grimsby today? It was a long journey. It was a miserable day.
I do not expect to win every week but I do want to see some, just some, decent football.
If you want to see decent football, may I suggest that going to a L2 game between two out of form teams in poor conditions on a poor pitch is not the best way of doing so?
theidlerich
Ladyrobin wrote:How many of you who think we are "moaners" actually were part of the 92 who went to Grimsby today? It was a long journey. It was a miserable day.
Perhaps PB and The Board need to ask themselves some rather searching questions. Are the paying fans getting 'value'; given many of the strange decisions by GJ and team recently - team selection, team positioning, players in/out shaken all about etc..! Unable to comment on the game, unlikely to travel that distance anticipating such a game!
Robin
I'm not happy with 16th in league and our current form is dire but some of the hysteria is ridiculous right now. We aren't going up and we aren't going down, our run of poor form will turn at some point but I doubt it will turn enough for us to sneak in to the top half, in fact if I had to predict we look nailed on to finish 15th-18th right now.

A big improvement needed next season, top half minimum in my view if Gary is to earn an extended deal.
art vandalay
Ben2 wrote:Good point.

There’ll be a lot of disappointed moaners who will not post now.

Oh well, there’s always next week. Maybe we’ll lose then and keep you all happy
A rather ironic comment from someone who can't wait for Manny to have a bad game so he can come on here to slag him off and justify his own previously posted views.
drgm
By their own admission RCS and Ben2 don't go to more than a dozen games all season yet they are more
than ready to lower expectations at the first opportunity

Maybe if they went to more games they might have a different view.

Some even want to give Gary an extended deal 'if he does well next season'!

I will always be grateful for what Gary achieved in getting us back into the league at the first attempt.
I'm sure PB feels the same way and who can blame him. I cant help feeling that Gary has lost his way and I think we
should review the situation at the end of the season. The club is just stagnating

I think it does matter where you finish in the table. It's easier to recruit new players and hang on to your
good ones if you appear to be a club that's going places. It will be interesting to see if Carl Winchester signs
on the dotted line.
Del Boy
If we shouldn't be concerned about a run of one win in eight - and that against a team who had a player sent off and the self destructed - then when should we get worried?

Personally I think 'hysteria' was the way some people acted when they wanted Yates out for not reaching the play-offs.

We're sinking fast. We failed to beat the bottom team last week - this week it was the team in worst form. We've got another next week - anyone confident?? I don't know how anyone can say we're definitely not going down - we are pretty dire.

But don't worry we've got half a dozen players too good for division 2 and a manager we couldn't possibly better.

If we shouldn't expect anything from this team why on earth should anyone be expected to pay to go to the game? I've got something else on next week and if it continues like this I'll be looking for something else to do much more regularly.
Nesty
I did not go today so cannot comment, but listening to comments on the radio I get the feeling that we are not fulfilling our potential, still got those square pegs despite GJ having signed 3 defenders in the Jan Sales, one already on the bench. I dont know what people want or what they expect to see - if not Dutch style total football, then at the very least a side that gives 100%, players playing in their right positions and with a game plan.
If you think we are getting that then fine, if not sit with the moaners on the naughty step
drgm
Del boy said:

'We're sinking fast. We failed to beat the bottom team last week - this week it was the team in worst form. We've got another next week - anyone confident?? I don't know how anyone can say we're definitely not going down - we are pretty dire.'

Good point. After Port Vale we've got Lincoln A, Wycombe H and Luton A.
Robin
I don't expect to get anything from those away games but no doubt people will want Gary sacked at that point.
vickeryc
Anyone who seriously thinks that sacking the manager over the next month will improve things is deluded.
vickeryc
drgm wrote:Del boy said:

'We're sinking fast. We failed to beat the bottom team last week - this week it was the team in worst form. We've got another next week - anyone confident?? I don't know how anyone can say we're definitely not going down - we are pretty dire.'

Good point. After Port Vale we've got Lincoln A, Wycombe H and Luton A.
Interestingly, we didn't lose any of the reverse fixtures against these clubs earlier in the season!
Alf
A point away from home I’m happy about. What would make me more happy would be three points at home. It was only a few seasons ago we looked safe and people were saying we wouldn’t go down but teams below us got their arses in gear and we didn’t and down we went. We don’t have a divine immunity from relegation. I don’t think we’ll go down and I don’t want a new manager but a bit of an improvement sooner rather than later would be good.