Big Nige (again)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Red&WhiteArmy
Get him in the bloody starting XI for gods sake GJ! :twisted:
You are selling the fans short by not picking him even if he isn't a 'favourite' of yours. He looks miles ahead of the others we've had plodding along in midfield all season. Helped tranform our performance when he came on today. Keep it up Nige 8-)
Shade
The only reason he can't be starting and coming on at 60 mins every week is he's not fit enough or GJ's not confident he'll last an hour if he starts him.

He won us the game really. I might be wrong but I think he started the attacks for all 3 goals after he came on.
Red&WhiteArmy
Shade wrote:The only reason he can't be starting and coming on at 60 mins every week is he's not fit enough or GJ's not confident he'll last an hour if he starts him.

He won us the game really. I might be wrong but I think he started the attacks for all 3 goals after he came on.
You'd think that wouldn't you Shade, except at the end of Dec and start of Jan (when Pell was out injured for a while) - Nige started 6 games in a row, playing 90 mins in four of those. I remember thinking he did a great job in those games at the time too but as soon as Pell came back from injury Nige was benched and hasn't started again since. So I think its not a fitness issue anymore (probably was at start of the season). Just doesn't make any sense to me :evil:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:The only reason he can't be starting and coming on at 60 mins every week is he's not fit enough or GJ's not confident he'll last an hour if he starts him.

Match report said it was Pell charging down a clearance which freed Mo for his hat trick goal.
CTFC03
It's the little give and go's that make him so effective, he is one of our best players and should be starting every week.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Match report said it was Pell charging down a clearance which freed Mo for his hat trick goal.
Fair enough, I can't really remember what happened except I was calling for Mo to cut the ball back to Nige! But Mo found the net so all was well.
Robin
Nige was superb today needs to be starting more often, I fully agree.
longmover
Pell was showing signs of his best today, some of his final balls were awful but he chased for the whole game and caused them no end of trouble.
tunnelvision
longmover wrote:Pell was showing signs of his best today, some of his final balls were awful but he chased for the whole game and caused them no end of trouble.
First half he was like a headless chicken and gave away a completely unnecessary penalty. :roll: Can't understand how he starts instead of Nige.
Shade
The thought headless chicken popped into my head in the second half as well when he lost the ball, and was then bombing around everywhere. Fine, you'd think, but he was so over the top he was hindering his team mates from winning the ball by getting in the way of their challenges. That's why I think he just needs a couple of games out of the team. Not as a punishment, but to just watch and reset, for want of a better word.

Btw, where was Morrell?
THECHOIRBOY
Or we say Johnson got the game right. Kept it tight and then when Nige came on it allowed Pell to roam forward more against a tiring defence.

Who's to say if Nige had started the outcome would have been the same.

He had a good game when he came on and to some extent I agree with the posts. But the fact is, today everything worked perfectly.
THECHOIRBOY
Oh and Morrell has a groin injury and back Tuesday along with Moore and Wright.
Robin
I can't see Moore or Wright making the bench come Tuesday myself, certainly shouldn't do after that result.
horlickfanclub
Great energy from Pell and Dawson and Ilias took the wind out of Vale.Atangana was positive and powerful when he came on.
We did not miss Morrell.
Shade
GJ also mentions Nige in his pre-Lincoln interview today. Says Nige had a pretty big ankle injury which plays on his mind. Says he's now looking fit and fresh and isn't getting caught facing the wrong way, etc, and he's in consideration for starting again now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Almost as if there are behind the scenes considerations influencing team selection which fans are not party to. Who would have guessed.