Gary Johnson after the final whistle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Red&WhiteArmy
Anyone else notice he didn't come over to the Speedy Skips fans today after the game for his usual fist punch. Wonder if hes making a point to the fans he's not happy with them :roll:
Shade
He seemed to be deep in discussion with someone, but can you blame him if he wasn't in the mood?

Also, maybe after the first win at home for months he thought it better not to as he doesn't when we don't win.
Red&WhiteArmy
Just seemed odd that was the first occasion I believe he hasn't done it. Sad really as i'd have like to see him keep it up.
Robin
Probably peeved with the small minority who have been criticising him recently, shame as it really is a minority. Notice how Horlick and Delboy have gone quiet today?
Nham68
I think you’ll find it’s because he stood on the touch line close to the tunnel and clapped every single one of his players off the pitch ... that’s more important imho.
theidlerich
It has/had become a custom after winning. So rather churlish unless there was a good reason which perhaps can be articulated on here. No doubt it will be point 1 when JP's five becomes live!
Shade
Had being the key word. It's been a while so maybe time to move on.
Oldun
Have the impression from Gary's lack of fist pump and his interview that he is tired of the constant putting down of his players and especially the way in which some of the younger ones have been affected by the constant criticism. Of course he acknowledges that it is the right of the money spending fan to express his opinion, but Gary seems to feel I suggest that it was over the top and had negative impact on the likes of maybe Grimesy and possibly others.
He wants to protect his players; he is rightly proud particularly of the younger lads and I suspect he is miffed by what he has seen and heard. Good for him!
I note that even after the win one or two have found a stick with which to beat him! The non picking of Nige, (which obviously was exactly the correct decision as the outcome showed), the lack of celebration at the end, (which is unimportant). Is it so hard to come on and say, "Well done Gary, you got it spot on!"
Del Boy
Well done Gary, you got it spot on!

Let's hope you continue to get it spot on.
Shade
I do have to say with Grimes though he was still making mistakes today but they didn't cost us (such as the terrible header that put us under pressure from a corner right at the start of the game again, and that is after GJ had a slight dig at Winchester for giving away the free kick 40 yards out that lead to us going behind after three minutes last week as he'd told the team to make sure we weren't put under pressure early on! If they'd scored from said corner, would GJ have said anything about the giving away of the corner?). If we win 5-1 every week then it'll be fine!
longmover
We've hardly been on fire recently, I think it would'd have been a bit off colour of him to carry on as if those performances didn't matter to the supporters.
drgm
Agree longmover

No one more pleased than me with the result but you are left wondering why we cant play this well every week.
I still feel we are under achieving with this squad
everyman
Red&WhiteArmy wrote:Anyone else notice he didn't come over to the Speedy Skips fans today after the game for his usual fist punch. Wonder if hes making a point to the fans he's not happy with them :roll:
I don`t think he liked the chant "how ****must you be were winning at home" ?
horlickfanclub
I have not gone quiet ROBIN.Some of us have lives. Good performance by the team yesterday but not good PR to snub fans.
Sprout Picker
everyman wrote:
Red&WhiteArmy wrote:Anyone else notice he didn't come over to the Speedy Skips fans today after the game for his usual fist punch. Wonder if hes making a point to the fans he's not happy with them :roll:
I don`t think he liked the chant "how ****must you be were winning at home" ?
Dreadful chant, embarrassingly cringe-worthy.
Robin
Yeah I must admit it was extremely cringe-worthy and started by the little kids by the drum too.
Shade
Nothing like having a dig at your own team when winning 5-1.

It's only a snub to the fans if you choose to think of it like that. Alternatively you could just take Nham's word for it that he stood on the sideline and shook every players hand as they went down the tunnel.

In fact, GJ mentions it in his pre-Lincoln interview, courtesy of JP: "I knew that on the day and I wanted to appreciate them after the game, so we had a little cordon as they came off of myself, Downsey, Fozzy, Cranners, we clapped the boys in as we felt they deserved some recognition of the workrate."
theidlerich
I'll accept that as an excuse and an plaudit for the team; but trust he's aware he has let down the 1000 or so stalwart fans behind the goal as a result. Bit of a dilemma for him.
Shade
Maybe 600 tops behind the goal on Saturday. And are people really feeling let down by it? Jesus.
Benctfc
As long as were winning football matches I dont care what he does after the match.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Let down. Lolol.
MSB
I'd rather the fist pumps were saved for times when they really mean something. Going for promotion/beating a team near the top to help a fight against relegation. Yes it was a cracking result on Saturday but one against a team around us in the table.

I'd also be pretty pissed off with the crigeworthy singing of "How **** must you be..." if I were GJ. It's not like we're getting spanked by everyone we play against at the moment. Going through the motions maybe, but not terrible.