Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/ValeHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oldun
Another injury to a key player. Joe out today.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Luckily the decision to take seven loans means we have depth in the squad to cope with injuries.

Interesting line up. Three CBs and three strikers. One LB and three midfielders!
Player2 Has Joined
Did not see that coming!
Shade
What a surprise, big win and the least number of comments during and post match for ages.

If Eisa didn't get the hat-trick (first for CTFC for 8 years apparently?! Richards??? Or Pook v Burton?) and wind the Vale fans up then I would have chosen Atangana as my man of the match. Only on for half an hour but completely changed the game with his ball winning around our box and breaks forward. Absolutely different class. Was impressed with Sanmi too, did well for both first half goals.

Nice to have a ref who leant towards us for his dodgy decisions for a change, although the yellow for Flinders for time wasting was a joke compared to the time wasting we have had to endure recently, and also as he let the Vale keeper take a free kick for offside on the complete opposite side of the box just 2 minutes earlier.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pook.

What formation was it?

JP suggested Graham was up top flanked by Sanmi and Mo.

So assume 4-3-3, or was it 3-4-3 or 5-2-3?

Whatever it was, when we get our attacking men flowing we can beat anyone in the division.

Good to see Elijah on the scoresheet - how did he do?

Elijah, Mohammad and Pope all scoring. As they say, football is our religion and WR is our church!
Shade
Sanmi seemed to drop back a bit more into midfield when we weren't on the ball but he was right up there when we were attacking, so a 3-2-3-2, almost.

Elijah did well. Similar to Graham but with a bit more goal threat. Graham wasn't happy to go off. Turned to the CF stand and shook his head, but the decision was justified with Elijah's goal and overall play. Pit in a shift, sprinting around, chasing down.
CTFC03
Great result with a lot of players having good games today, slight damper for me is that Pell played poorly for most of the game again but it didn't matter and it wasn't through lack of effort, very off colour to me. Subs were great, Adebayo is a nightmare, Andrews looked ok and Atangana should be starting every week, is GJ not keen on him if so why? It's bonkers, he is one of our best players. Mo again impressive possibly the deadliest finisher we've had in the league for a long time and a good couple of saves/defending in the last 10 mins or so too, tough run of games coming up now but good to go into those on a win today.
Rulistening
i really didnt expect that. I thought we'd be in a slump and fall to a loss. Glad to be proven wrong!!!. Only downside was Pell is just poor this season, and when Nige came on it was like we signed ronaldo with some of the touches he was doing!. He needs to start over pell.
Shade
I would seriously consider putting Nige in for Pell on Tuesday night. Maybe he just needs to watch a couple of games. He was the worst player today, giving away the penalty and his passing wasn't great.
Robin
I couldn't work out the formation either, three centre halves but it seemed Rodon and Winnie interchanged at right back at times. Three up front at the start of the game and we ended 5-3-2.

I though Illais, Adebajo and Rodon all had very good games, so much for poor January recruitment.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I couldn't work out the formation either, three centre halves but it seemed Rodon and Winnie interchanged at right back at times. Three up front at the start of the game and we ended 5-3-2.

I though Illais, Adebajo and Rodon all had very good games, so much for poor January recruitment.
And with PB saying Gary kept money in the bank rather than spending it, and that the loans in and out balance financially we should be well set to sign quality to fill gaps in the summer.
Shade
Rodon seemed to be quiet but effective, which is pretty good for a CB.
Shade
When was the last time we scored 5 at home? Off the top of my head, would it be Josh Low's rampage v Bury? I remember a few 4's v Welling, Bradford.

Oh, was it Guiseley? The one match I missed in our NL season.
theidlerich
We didn't deal with their hoof and hope tactics to their front line that well; our defence was pretty fragile to be honest! Passing out of defence was woeful; Pell essentially had a nightmare [he has truly gone off the boil in recent games]. Eisa took his chances well; three cracking good goals and should have had a couple more. Winchester decent too,not arguing with MoM; believe it's the first hat-trick I've seen at a home game [?]. Thought Andrews looked comfortable although only on for a short time. Subs worked well; would have liked to see Atanga on earlier though. He may look cumbersome and awkward but so effective and adds creative flair. Scrappy game; but so good to see a few goals for a change. :)
Ralph
theidlerich wrote:We didn't deal with their hoof and hope tactics to their front line that well; our defence was pretty fragile to be honest! Passing out of defence was woeful; Pell essentially had a nightmare [he has truly gone off the boil in recent games]. Eisa took his chances well; three cracking good goals and should have had a couple more. Winchester decent too,not arguing with MoM; believe it's the first hat-trick I've seen at a home game [?]. Thought Andrews looked comfortable although only on for a short time. Subs worked well; would have liked to see Atanga on earlier though. He may look cumbersome and awkward but so effective and adds creative flair. Scrappy game; but so good to see a few goals for a change. :)
Just incase you left at half time or something. You know we won 5-1 right?
Why is there always negativity when we win :lol:
Shade
ATANGANA :P

If our defence looked so fragile, how come the only shot Vale had on target in the first 80 minutes was the penalty? They had 3 late on but the game was won by then.
Robin
I know what Rich is saying, whilst Vale didn't have a shot Pope won a lot in the air and could hold off two of our players in the first half. That said, Boyle was very good, Rodon had a good home debut and Grimes wasn't too bad either.
Shade
I kinda get it, but Tom Pope is pretty deadly. He only scored from a penalty and other than that we won 5-1 and conceded 4 shots on target, with 3 of yhose in the last 10, so I'd say we dealt with them pretty comfortably, to be honest. It wasn't all pretty but what more do you want? 90 minutes of absolute dominance? We ain't Barça. Not yet, at least.
theidlerich
Ralph wrote:
theidlerich wrote:We didn't deal with their hoof and hope tactics to their front line that well; our defence was pretty fragile to be honest! Passing out of defence was woeful; Pell essentially had a nightmare [he has truly gone off the boil in recent games]. Eisa took his chances well; three cracking good goals and should have had a couple more. Winchester decent too,not arguing with MoM; believe it's the first hat-trick I've seen at a home game [?]. Thought Andrews looked comfortable although only on for a short time. Subs worked well; would have liked to see Atanga on earlier though. He may look cumbersome and awkward but so effective and adds creative flair. Scrappy game; but so good to see a few goals for a change. :)
Just incase you left at half time or something. You know we won 5-1 right?
Why is there always negativity when we win :lol:
Merely pointing out that in the first half particularly we looked "fragile" but weathered it. Towards the end note Andrews saved one on the line; so still not watertight, but good to see the improvement. Could have been two or three more too...... just my perspective. ps I was smiling on way out after full time.........
CTFC03
Tbf theidlerich makes a valid point especially first 10 minutes they pumped crosses into our box and we looked incredibly dodgy but we did manage to see it out and Flinders didn't really have a save to make. Last 10 minutes there were a few "situations" in our own box but we dealt with it including what I thought was a goaline clearance from Andrews but we managed to see it out. Today was a great example of if you keep the back door shut you give yourself a chance.
Shade
Vale were always going to try and get the crosses in early given our previous two awful starts, but we just about kept them out and got a foothold on the game.
theidlerich
Shade wrote:Vale were always going to try and get the crosses in early given our previous two awful starts, but we just about kept them out and got a foothold on the game.

"...but we just about kept them out".... almost beginning to feel vindicated! ;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:
Shade wrote:Vale were always going to try and get the crosses in early given our previous two awful starts, but we just about kept them out and got a foothold on the game.

"...but we just about kept them out".... almost beginning to feel vindicated! ;)
But we did keep them out. All teams come under pressure at some point in a game. We rode it out successfully and then bagged 5. Can’t complain.
everyman
Shade wrote:Sanmi seemed to drop back a bit more into midfield when we weren't on the ball but he was right up there when we were attacking, so a 3-2-3-2, almost.

Elijah did well. Similar to Graham but with a bit more goal threat. Graham wasn't happy to go off. Turned to the CF stand and shook his head, but the decision was justified with Elijah's goal and overall play. Pit in a shift, sprinting around, chasing down.
I was amazed at how P.V.Played with such a high-line compressing the space between the lines making passing very difficult,the answer introduce some bite in mid-field (Atangana)and some mobility and pace up front (Adebayo)both made a difference.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Time for Adebayo to start I think.
horlickfanclub
Good performance today.We moved the ball quicker and Vale were restricted by yeppow cards.They were scared to tackle in the second half. Our centre halves kept Pope reaaonably quiet. Ilias was lively down the left. Subs did well to push on the victory.Port Vale look like they may struggle.
theidlerich
Relevant post by Everyman - "bite in midfield" and "pace upfront". Exactly what has been needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:Relevant post by Everyman - "bite in midfield" and "pace upfront". Exactly what has been needed.
Spot on and simple really.