Cakebridge Place / land

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Saw this great phot on the Robins Trust Twitter feed - you get a great sense of what the land behind the ground is like now the prefabs have been removed and the land cleared:

https://mobile.twitter.com/robinstrust/ ... 00/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
London Exile
Now it’s been cleared you can see the potential and it’s frustrating that the council seems to reneging on the land swap.
With Cakebridge Place, the stadium and Parklands, that’s a good sized chunk of brownfield land that the council effectively own and it must be worth a few quid if sold for housing. I just wonder if behind closed doors a stadium relocation is back on the agenda?
Maybe I’m missing something but what else could the hold up be?
I thought it was relatively straight forward, the council built new homes on the top of our car park and we had a new entrance and ability to build a new main stand without obstacles from the old cakebridge place site.
Robin
The problem is where could you realistically build a 10,000 seater stadium now, the golden valley or Leckhampton are the only areas I could think of other than back at the race course.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
In his interview PB suggested the council are delaying as they want to do a larger chunk of development in one go around town (ie a proper strategy) rather than a single ad-hoc development which if not part of a strategy may provide the wrong sort of housing for what the town needs it to.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The problem is where could you realistically build a 10,000 seater stadium now, the golden valley or Leckhampton are the only areas I could think of other than back at the race course.
Only relatively central location which isn’t too far to walk from town would be kick out the Prince of Wales or pitch and putt and build a tidy ground there.

Once you get out towards the racecourse or behind Spirax next to Swindon Village it is too out of town.

I think we can make it work with a redevelopment at WR.
London Exile
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:The problem is where could you realistically build a 10,000 seater stadium now, the golden valley or Leckhampton are the only areas I could think of other than back at the race course.
Only relatively central location which isn’t too far to walk from town would be kick out the Prince of Wales or pitch and putt and build a tidy ground there.

Once you get out towards the racecourse or behind Spirax next to Swindon Village it is too out of town.

I think we can make it work with a redevelopment at WR.
One advantage an out of town site would offer is a chance to incorporate training facilities alongside a stadium.
However, I agree that a proper redevelopment of Whaddon Road would more than suit our needs. In an interview with Paul Bence last summer when the development was discussed he mentioned 2 new stands. A new main stand and PRE would be perfect and hopefully bring us the off field revenues to compete at L1/L2 level.
Whatever this ‘holistic’ approach is that the council are examining, the longer we have that main stand, then without an investor I don’t think we can kick on.
Robin
I agree I'd rather stay where we are if the future is lower league, a new ground is only needed if we realistically want Championship football. That said we do need to increase capacity for away fans as current facilties are no ideal.
Ralph
I wouldn't want to leave where we are. If we did move area, it has to be within walking distance of the centre of town. That does limit things i know
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:I wouldn't want to leave where we are. If we did move area, it has to be within walking distance of the centre of town. That does limit things i know
Agree. The whole sould and feel of the club and matchday experience would be irrevocably changed if we went out of town to somewhere with no ale houses nearby where you have to sit in a traffic jam to get to.
Robin
There are very pubs nearby as it is now though RCS.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:There are very pubs nearby as it is now though RCS.
Erm...the town centre is 15 mins walk away.

Swan, Vine, SPA, Restoration all 15-20 mins away at that end of town.

Brewhouse and Kitchen and Cotswold at that end of town.

Feathered Fish, Sudeley Arms, Kemble all 10-15 mins away.

Even The Bankhouse, Copa and the Regent Street establishments are pretty easy to get to straight up Portland Street to Prestbury Rd.

The Hewlett Arms probably the closest these days along with the Kemble.

I don’t how many pubs you think fans need?

Move out of town and that easy access to town facilities is lost.
ctfc-fan
Next to BMW at Golden Valley could be good. Make use of the park and ride car park.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Next to BMW at Golden Valley could be good. Make use of the park and ride car park.
Or a walk alongside the A40 and a pint of John Smiths in the Harvester.

No thanks.

Though it would help attract more from Gloucester area which could boost crowds.
Malabus
Prince of Wales stadium....throw the egg chasing off.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
Nice walk through Pittville Park from town pubs. Be like Carlisle or Fulham.
Malabus
Malabus wrote:
Nice walk through Pittville Park from town pubs. Be like Carlisle or Fulham.
Good cycling paths to there too.
longmover
Malabus wrote:
The POW is a good athletics facility (quite rare for a town) and used heavily in the summer, wouldn't want to see that demolished for the sake of the a football ground.

If the council want to make something happen they will, the fact they are holding back to 'do it properly' is laughable. #brownpaperbags
Robin

Even The Bankhouse, Copa and the Regent Street establishments are pretty easy to get to straight up Portland Street to Prestbury Rd.

That was kind of my point a 15 minute walk into town isn't really close, we used to have more pubs nearby now it's the Sudeley or Kemble (if you can find it).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:

That was kind of my point a 15 minute walk into town isn't really close, we used to have more pubs nearby now it's the Sudeley or Kemble (if you can find it).
Hell of a lot closer than 45 mins walk more out to the Golden Valley on somewhere.

I guess it is either a small town mindset or laziness which makes people think 15 mins is a long way, it really isn’t.

One of the things I love about coming back to Cheltenham is you can walk most places in 15 mins.
Ralph
It's a nice walk from town to the ground esp when you've been away for a year or more.
Shade
I noticed on Saturday when leaving the ground down the steps at the end of the CF Stand that i could see all the way through to the M&S on Prestbury Road. Has something else just been knocked or taken down as I don't remember being able to see it before?
longmover
Don't think so, I think the buildings that were demolished obscured the front of the garage. I presume some of the garage would of been in view but just that other buildings were there as well; i.e. You get used to seeing the same thing until its gone
horlickfanclub
The Council should get on with it. Build some eco prefabs to replace Cakebridge. We are supposed to be short of "affordable" housing in Cheltenham.
Jerry St Clair
Ben2 wrote:The ideal spot would be at the new IT park just by springbank/GCHQ. I’d be amazed if the board hasn’t at least considered that
Ideal in what way? Miles from town, no pubs, ugly setting. We have a lovely little ground, a short, pleasant walk from town, near some decent pubs and full of character.

My club, Reading, had a traditional ground next to parkland, a short walk from the town centre with two pubs immediately outside. They traded this in for a soulless bowl squeezed between junction 11 of the M4 and a business park 1.5 miles from the nearest pub (which is a Harvester). And its s#!t. Please Cheltenham, don't go there.
Ralph
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Ben2 wrote:The ideal spot would be at the new IT park just by springbank/GCHQ. I’d be amazed if the board hasn’t at least considered that
Ideal in what way? Miles from town, no pubs, ugly setting. We have a lovely little ground, a short, pleasant walk from town, near some decent pubs and full of character.

My club, Reading, had a traditional ground next to parkland, a short walk from the town centre with two pubs immediately outside. They traded this in for a soulless bowl squeezed between junction 11 of the M4 and a business park 1.5 miles from the nearest pub (which is a Harvester). And its s#!t. Please Cheltenham, don't go there.
You are correct
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Completely agree with Ralph and Jerry. An impassioned plee I hope is not needed to be heard again.