Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening http://bit.ly/LincolnCityAway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Palmer
Thoughts on the team:

Flinders; Rodon, Boyle, Grimes; Winchester (c), Dawson, Atangana, Pell, Chatzitheodoridis; Eisa, Adebayo.

Subs: Lovett, Wright, Moore, Onariase, Sellars, Graham, Odelusi
drgm
Well well well!
Pretty much our strongest line up. No Sellars! No complaints from me! About time Gary
got it right.
Red&WhiteArmy
This is team I'd have picked as well. Good selections. Fingers crossed for the boys and a good result.
Knowing our luck though, we'll get well beat now! :roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pell and Nige in the middle.

Solid rather than creative.

But Adebayo up front has the strength, pace and skill to do the job of Graham and a Sanmi combined. Could be Elijah’s night to outshine Mo.
Benctfc
Defeat as expected under this regime in the football league I never expect to go away to place like Lincoln and come away with anything. Don't think their keeper made a save all game.

Next 4 games Wycombe (3rd), Luton (1st), Notts County (4th) Swindon (6th). Can't see us getting much from these plus we havent had our mandatory March collapse yet!
CTFC03
Poor second half apparently and some fans saying Nige should never have been taken off.
Benctfc
his face doesn't fit. GJ has singled him out in interviews before criticising him. He should never have been dropped and was the best player on the pitch when he came on Sat and was our best player tonight. The experiment of Dawson as CM is complete waste he either needs to play on the wing or not at all.
Oldun
Here we go! Ben talking nonsense! Why let the facts get in the way of a good biased moan. Their keeper did make at least one save!

As others noted last week, the moaners must have hated Saturday and will be out celebrating tonight. So very sad!
Benctfc
Saturday was great not denying that but it was the exception to the rule our recent form has been abysmal especially when we have had a lot of winnable games. I'm not saying we should be going to places like Lincoln expecting to win but we just never looked to have a game plan of getting back into when we conceded.

I'm not as negative as others in saying I want GJ out but there are some fans who think he can't do no wrong. It has been a dissapointing season as quoted by Baker as well and most of that should fall on GJ im afraid and he has to be under pressure if form doesn't pick up. Unfortunately now we have a run of tough games where we might regret some of our recent poor results against weaker opposition.
Oldun
As I said..."absolute nonsense!" Just to put one point regarding the subbing of big Nige. He was taken off to allow the team to be more attack minded. Almost immediately we had two good chances both of which were saved by the keeper and one of which was a shot by the guy just brought off the bench. It is not Gary's fault that the sub missed a good chance. He did all he could and did it well. What more can the poor guy do?
Robin
I didn't go tonight but sounded like Lincoln keeper had a very good game and balance overall was tight. I know we didn't win but Lincoln are riding the crest of a wave at the moment so it was always a tough ask.
Vital Lincoln City
Lincoln City 1 - Cheltenham Town 0 - Stats:
http://www.lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=521387
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
From following JP on Twitter it looked like we gave it a go after taking Nige off, with Sanmi and Mo both missing golden opportunities. And their keeper saving some late headers.
vickeryc
I wasn't there last night but from looking at the stats and what I've read, it seems the lads did not perform anywhere near as badly as one or two have suggested. This was a tough fixture against a team on form. Arguably, it was one of our most difficult games of the season - and we lost by one goal. I'm as disappointed as anyone With the result but, realistically, this was a game most rational people would have expected Lincoln to win. The moaners need to get a grip, put things into context and have a sense of perspective.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:I wasn't there but from looking at the stats and what I've read, it seems the lads did not perform anywhere near as badly as one or two have suggested. This was a tough midweek fixture against a team on form. Arguably, it was one of our most difficult games of the season - and we lost by one goal. The moaners need to get a grip and put things in perspective. I hate losing as much as anyone but, realistically, this was a game most people would have expected Lincoln to win comfortably.
Haters gonna hate. Had we drawn (as our play and chances should have yielded by all accounts) then they would moan we didn’t win. Had we won 2-1 they would moan we didn’t keep a clean sheet. Etc.
vickeryc
True!
Robin
It does strike me that there a small minority that are just fixated on criticising GJ right now, I wonder how many of this lot saw the bad times under Buckle, Allen and Gould or even some of the season under Yates which were worse than this?

Things are not great but we are progressing in the right direction and I'm confident we will improve again next season.
kora
Their keeper made one save that was so dramatic he managed to "injure" himself and take 4 minutes off the clock. Good time wasting technique as he's the only player who doesn't have to leave the field after treatment. The Cowley brothers may be doing an amazing job at Lincoln but there are still elements of the "gamesmanship" we witnessed at Braintree a couple of seasons ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Was that the "one" save from Sanmi, Mo, or Boyle?
THECHOIRBOY
Here are the shorter highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAuDESdecU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MittonRobin
vickeryc wrote:I wasn't there last night but from looking at the stats and what I've read, it seems the lads did not perform anywhere near as badly as one or two have suggested. This was a tough fixture against a team on form. Arguably, it was one of our most difficult games of the season - and we lost by one goal. I'm as disappointed as anyone With the result but, realistically, this was a game most rational people would have expected Lincoln to win. The moaners need to get a grip, put things into context and have a sense of perspective.
Bloody hell ! This is League 2 not La Liga.
vickeryc
MittonRobin wrote:
vickeryc wrote:I wasn't there last night but from looking at the stats and what I've read, it seems the lads did not perform anywhere near as badly as one or two have suggested. This was a tough fixture against a team on form. Arguably, it was one of our most difficult games of the season - and we lost by one goal. I'm as disappointed as anyone With the result but, realistically, this was a game most rational people would have expected Lincoln to win. The moaners need to get a grip, put things into context and have a sense of perspective.
And your point is ...
MittonRobin
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:
And your point is ...
What I am saying is that they are not Blinking Barcelona. If everyone's attitude is " we will 100 % lose at Lincoln " what's the point in those 108 ( or however many went ) even going ???
Shade
Some highlights to go with some of the tripe on this thread. Make your own minds up but it certainly seems to show we had a few chances, and their goal...he won't score from there every week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNAuDESdecU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vickeryc
Mitton - thanks for the explanation and for misrepresenting what I said.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We took 5,000 to Spurs. Expectation of winning does not have a bearing on whether I attend.
horlickfanclub
Some good chances there. Nice to see. Not nice to see Grimes turning his back and failing to get closer to Carlos Alberto at right back. He saw a chance and took it well.
little mo
horlickfanclub wrote:Some good chances there. Nice to see. Not nice to see Grimes turning his back and failing to get closer to Carlos Alberto at right back. He saw a chance and took it well.
With respect mate, no way was that goal Grimes fault.
Robin
We are capable of beating Lincoln but I feel most realistic town fans knew this was a tough game given the huge wave of momentum they are riding and their recent home form. I get people expect us to do better in the league, I'm not happy with mid-table either but hopeful we will improve again next season because we have every year under GJ.
Ralph
We had chances to score as did Lincoln. We were unlucky not to get a point out of it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:We had chances to score as did Lincoln. We were unlucky not to get a point out of it.
Simple as that. Well put Ralph.
Nesty
Oldun wrote:Here we go! Ben talking nonsense! Why let the facts get in the way of a good biased moan. Their keeper did make at least one save!

As others noted last week, the moaners must have hated Saturday and will be out celebrating tonight. So very sad!
what is more sad is someone deluding their egotistical selves that a supporter would actually celebrate a defeat and likewise bemoan a win. I will now get back under my rock.
little mo
Ralph wrote:We had chances to score as did Lincoln. We were unlucky not to get a point out of it.
Correct Ralph. It was a very even game, they were no better or worse than us, settled by a " worldy". I heard somewhere that was his first goal for six years. :roll: :roll:
Benctfc
Nesty wrote:
Oldun wrote:Here we go! Ben talking nonsense! Why let the facts get in the way of a good biased moan. Their keeper did make at least one save!

what is more sad is someone deluding their egotistical selves that a supporter would actually celebrate a defeat and likewise bemoan a win. I will now get back under my rock.
Well said Nesty. I do hate on here how any little criticism you make you get put down as being a bad supporter or wanting us to lose. There is no debate anymore just constant put downs of other people who dare share a difference of opinion. Like you say do you think I would pay £20 pound each way just to have the pleasure of hoping to see us lose...