Still playing at 44

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
What a goal this was: http://bit.ly/DecadeOn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
I remember leaving the ground with a massive smile on my face and, as we walked past the statue of Billy Bremner, the guy on his phone just in front of me was nearly in tears telling someone that "we can't even flipping well beat flipping Cheltenham, now..." That only made my smile broader!

* NB: He didn't actually say "flipping."
asl
(And I still don't know how Brooker missed that chance that MotM Spencer put on a plate for him...)
Shade
Haven't read the article yet but I already know it'll be about Alex Russell. Iconic moment. What a goal, what a game and, indeed, what a miss. Stuck in the mud of the goalmouth, wasn't it...?
Si Robin
My biggest regret as a Cheltenham fan (well joint biggest) was not being able to attend that game (the other was not being allowed to attend the Yeovil promotion game) due to work. I had planned it all season and then the week before I was sent to a conference that I simply couldn't get out of.
asl
I reckon Sarah told him she would love him long time if he scored at Elland Road - so he deliberately stood on the ball.
asl
Si Robin wrote:I was sent to a conference that I simply couldn't get out of.
Which is a little bit ironic, don't you think...? :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Walking in a Russell Wonderland.

Epic night.
Sprout Picker
asl wrote:I reckon Sarah told him she would love him long time if he scored at Elland Road - so he deliberately stood on the ball.
Good memory!

If it makes you feel any better Si, I missed that game too. :(
Red Duke
asl wrote:I reckon Sarah told him she would love him long time if he scored at Elland Road - so he deliberately stood on the ball.
Ah yes. This brings backs memories. She was obsessed with him. She came actually came all the way up from Bristol to Hartlepool just to watch him play.

As for the match against Leeds, definitely one of best moments of following Cheltenham. I went to Uni in Leeds and often went to Elland Road. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever expect to seem them play a league match there.

I enjoyed listening to Radio Leeds before and after the match. Before, Eddie Gray was giving it large that they would win at least 4-0 and after, the phone-in was priceless. It was end of the world as far as Leeds fan were concerned.

I can't believe it is 10 years since the game.
Shade
I stayed at my brother-in-laws (he was just the boyfriend at the time) in Bradford overnight. The whole couple of days was surreal for me. Didn't see or hear anything after the game as just went back to some quiet pub near his house where the beer was half the price of back home.
Stopped at a services back down the M1 the next day and saw the newpapers...I can't remember the headlines but I remember the pictures of Gary McAllister looking bewildered. :lol:
Only other thing I remember was the Races had been postponed due to the high winds and lorries were all over the place coming home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yeah. Trains off in the winds. I was stuck in Newark on the way up from London for two hours. Chaos the next morning in Leeds station.

My mum and brother drove up from Chelt. Moyles giving it large on the radio all morning apparently.

We stayed in a Premier Inn in the city centre. Got the shuttle bus from Leeds Station to Elland Rd. Full of Yorkies obviously whose score predictions discernable amongst the local dialect sounded more suitable to Headingly.

They were not a happy bunch on the bus back to the City. Brother was only about 11 or 12 at the time so didn't go to any pubs after getting food...but the Subway customers were not happy either.

Luckily trains were so delayed I got a full refund.