Accounts

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Healthy profit over past two years: http://bit.ly/AccountsCTFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... it-1201991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So getting promoted back up saw us lose £128k. But then Gary going with the Champions and January additions saw us make £178k last season.

To get us up and keep us up in profit is a great effort and puts the club on a great base to build for L1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mods: feel free to move my thread/comments into this thread.
asl
Done!
Shade
You mean that getting promoted cost us about £2.4m less than FGR thats season :lol:
Lord Elpuz
Shade wrote:You mean that getting promoted cost us about £2.4m less than FGR thats season :lol:
I loved the quote in JPs article from Paul Baker: “It is very important to run our business, our football club sustainably.” Excellent!!!

The noisy neighbour likes to quote “sustainability” at every opportunity, but clearly not everything our neighbour touches is sustainable ;)
leohoenig
I suspect this is one of the most important threads in this forum this season - and yet no one has asked the question
What are we doing right?

The financial results for 2016-17 look good, and PB has mentioned in his interview that we expect to have a profit in 2017-18 as well
Historically, we lose money (along with most lower division professional clubs)

So, has our income increased - and if so is it due to our own efforts, or from the centralised deals?
Have we kept a lid on expenditure?
Does the much maligned use of loan players help us keep the club running profitably.

I am not even certain of getting home in time for the forum, so if I'm not there, would someone else ask these questions?
asl
As an aside, there was a link to Lincoln's accounts on their forum: they made a profit of over £1.2m (offset by losses of £0.5m over the previous two seasons.)
Robin
In hindsight I wonder if this profit explains our lack of transfer activity the summer after promotion, perhaps GJ and the board agreed to stabilise and not go out and sign more proven players thus keeping some finance for January if needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:In hindsight I wonder if this profit explains our lack of transfer activity the summer after promotion, perhaps GJ and the board agreed to stabilise and not go out and sign more proven players thus keeping some finance for January if needed.
Yup. As I said all autumn last season it was obvious we busted the budget to get back up and needed a period of retrenchment to balance the books. This, alongside the promise made to our Champions is why I was so outspoken against those criticising summer transfer activity before last season.

The fact the finances are being reported as two years consolidated numbers suggests it was viewed by the board as a two year project: get us up and keep us up, in profit.

Achieved and credit to Gary for doing that.

Now we are in the next two to three year project: get up and stay up, in profit. And I support Gary to achieve step one of that next season.
Robin
I hope now Del boy and Horlick can lay off GJ as it's pretty obvious his hands were severely tied that summer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A bet on next season would be good to have the odds on. If this was the stock market our price would be rising now after recent announcements, but I reckon bookies would still be offering odds longer then what they should be.
Shade
Of course they will, the bookies have no reason to believe we will be significantly better next season at this stage, especially as they would expect our top scorer to go to a "bigger club". We're only believing we will be challenging on trust - trust that the board will back Gary, and Gary will get the players in that he wants to complete the jigsaw.
Jerry St Clair
leohoenig wrote:I suspect this is one of the most important threads in this forum this season - and yet no one has asked the question
What are we doing right?

The financial results for 2016-17 look good, and PB has mentioned in his interview that we expect to have a profit in 2017-18 as well
Historically, we lose money (along with most lower division professional clubs)

So, has our income increased - and if so is it due to our own efforts, or from the centralised deals?
Have we kept a lid on expenditure?
Does the much maligned use of loan players help us keep the club running profitably.

I am not even certain of getting home in time for the forum, so if I'm not there, would someone else ask these questions?
Indeed. And achieved during ‘normal’ seasons. No cup run, big moneyspinners away at Premier League giants or lucrative play off finals. So may lower league clubs rely on big paydays to keep them going so balancing the books without one is doubly impressive.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Re: loans, GJ and PB both mentioned the fact that they are financially a good deal as we are only paying a small part of their wages and we don't need to pay them during June and July like we do with contracted players. Also interesting that PB said the loans live close enough they haven't had to move, whilst we have seven (I think he said) other players put up in accommodation.
drgm
This puts our current season in perspective

We spent last season avoiding relegation while making a profit
FGR will spend their first season doing exactly the same thing while posting a loss of 2 million or so

Which club is better run? Clever remark from PB -it's obvious which financial model is more sustainable
in the long term.
King giraffe iii
drgm wrote:This puts our current season in perspective

FGR will spend their first season doing exactly the same thing while posting a loss of 2 million or so
Apparently not. On course to break even according to DV.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Here is Vince’s post:

“Gloslive get FGR accounts direct from companies house website, the day they are published there, then run them as they see them - without coming to FGR for a comment.

What you've seen about CTFC is not a report on their latest accounts as such, it's a cut and paste from a CTFC press release, which reflects on the last two seasons. One of which (the previous one) was loss making - but you never read that in Glos live (before - like when it happened), because they don't publish CTFC accounts in that way.

The difference is that FGR accounts are reported on unilaterally, on the day of publication.....and CTFC are not reported on unless the club puts out a story, as they did this week.

Of course CTFC's loss last year was small compared to FGR's - but so are their ambitions. You're unlikely to read about CTFC outside of Glos live...........:)
Robin
Can't argue too much about out media coverage, when do you hear about us outside of country wide press and radio?
Del Boy
Robin wrote:Can't argue too much about out media coverage, when do you hear about us outside of country wide press and radio?
Like most low league teams rarely to never. That's because there's no stories that would interest the National media unless there's a FA cup game against one of the top few teams.
drgm
Our ambitions small compared with FGR's! What world is Vince living in?
FGR ambition this season seems to be the same as ours - staying out of the relegation zone. Is that the sum
of their 'ambition'?
They'll probably spend far more than we do to achieve it. As for losses King Giraffe 111, let's see the figures at the end
of the financial year. Dales 'break even' definition probably means something entirely different in the subsidised world
he lives in.
Shade
Well if FGR's ambitions are much bigger than ours then this season has been an even bigger disaster for them so far, so hardly something to brag about, is it.

What an absolute douchenozzle.
Lord Elpuz
King giraffe iii wrote:

Anyone who failed their Maths GCSE/GCE/CSE could work out that FGR cannot possibly “break even”. Look at their average home gate, then look at what they are paying in wages. You don’t even need a calculator. The business model is bust, and when DV leaves, the club is bust.

The good people of Nailsworth have been convinced they should wear grannies knitted jumpers over their heads and faces. Someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes, that’s for sure.

I will not be going to the New Lawn again after the way we CTFC fans were treated this season. The CTFC faithful should boycott the New Lawn en masse in future. Our fans represent a big chunk of revenue going into FGR and we are all being taken for mugs.

In a few weeks time, we will be hosting the Nailsworth folk at Whaddon Road, and maybe we should consider showing the FGR owner what Cheltenhamshire hospitality is all about, by doing a “Dale Special” - a discounted beef burger with every pint of beer in our lovely welcoming bar :twisted:
drgm
Lord Elpuz wrote:
King giraffe iii wrote:

Anyone who failed their Maths GCSE/GCE/CSE could work out that FGR cannot possibly “break even”. Look at their average home gate, then look at what they are paying in wages. You don’t even need a calculator. The business model is bust, and when DV leaves, the club is bust.

The good people of Nailsworth have been convinced they should wear grannies knitted jumpers over their heads and faces. Someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes, that’s for sure.

I will not be going to the New Lawn again after the way we CTFC fans were treated this season. The CTFC faithful should boycott the New Lawn en masse in future. Our fans represent a big chunk of revenue going into FGR and we are all being taken for mugs.

In a few weeks time, we will be hosting the Nailsworth folk at Whaddon Road, and maybe we should consider showing the FGR owner what Cheltenhamshire hospitality is all about, by doing a “Dale Special” - a discounted beef burger with every pint of beer in our lovely welcoming bar :twisted:

Well said. I didn't go this time and wont in future. We had to bring our own 'match-day experience' - they didn't have one
Shade
Thing is, they're their own main sponsor so Vince can surely just pump in however much is needed to break even from "sponsorship" and it will work out?
The Old TomCat
Terrific news at FGR AGM last night.
Chairman Dale Vince replied to question on FGR's finances and said that the soon to be published annual finance sheet will show club around £400,000 in the black.
He did not say whether that includes Christian Doidge transfer fee but suspect not because it was not a lump sum but to be paid in stages.
All good news
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:Terrific news at FGR AGM last night.
Chairman Dale Vince replied to question on FGR's finances and said that the soon to be published annual finance sheet will show club around £400,000 in the black.
He did not say whether that includes Christian Doidge transfer fee but suspect not because it was not a lump sum but to be paid in stages.
All good news
How many Ecotricity staff laid off to allow him to put another half-million subsidy into FGR then?
Ralph
All good news
Why bring a thread back from 8 months ago and post about something that is not even anything to do with us Turncoat
vickeryc
Is there any reason why this thread can't be (retrospectively) closed prior to today and bounce the latest posts into Other Footy? Totally tedious cr*p in OTC's post, which is not CTFC Chat and I suspect of no interest to most Robins supporters.
Shade
So, £400k in the black in the last 12 months would mean they're only roughly £10m in the red over the last 5 years then. What an amazing achievement...
Artemis
The key point is that they are themselves their own sponsors. I'd suggest this figure is largely accountancy hokus pokus made possible by FGR's ownership structure, and with significant financial advantages to Ecotricity too, as well as sustainability PR guff for FGR.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
All good news
How many Ecotricity staff laid off to allow him to put another half-million subsidy into FGR then?
RCS,

The answer to your very narrow question is NONE.
Your concerns have already been fully discussed in posts above. But to remind you that some months ago Ecotricity did undergo a period of reconstruction where a few members of staff were released [and very well compensated].
I have been told by a Ecotricity executive that the company is financially very sound and will be posting a profit in next tax year.
Claiming that Ecotricity is releasing staff to pay for FGR is wrong; they are two different companies under one umbrella.

RCS, do please stop trying to pour cold water on a FGR good news stories because you will only be chasing shadows.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... it-2166670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actual figure is £422,647
The Old TomCat
Ralph wrote:
All good news
Why bring a thread back from 8 months ago and post about something that is not even anything to do with us Turncoat
Ralph, your reply brought a big smile to my face for a number of reasons:

* I could have posted this FGR good news story on a new thread which I don’t think is right on a Cheltenham forum.
* Your claim that nobody is interested is contrary to the massive number of FGR threads on Robin’s Nest and pages upon pages solely dealing with FGR. [Or is only negative FGR news permitted?]
* I am fully justified making post on this thread [it is not time expired] because it addresses issues previously raised.
* You continue to call me Turncoat which has become a badge of pride. You erroneously claim that I used to be a Cheltenham supporter but then chose to support FGR; a team that has been in the promotion mix in four of the past five seasons.
You are just reminding yourself what a wise decision I made.
* On another thread you state that you could soon cease to be a Cheltenham supporter. I think that is contemptible just because your team is in middle of a rough patch. Last season FGR were in a similar position but not once did I ever consider throwing the towel in for my club.

Have a good day.
The Old TomCat
Artemis wrote:The key point is that they are themselves their own sponsors. I'd suggest this figure is largely accountancy hokus pokus made possible by FGR's ownership structure, and with significant financial advantages to Ecotricity too, as well as sustainability PR guff for FGR.
Full details in GloucestershireLive article, which shows that massive financial profit increase is not from Ecotricity.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... it-2166670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Old TomCat
vickeryc wrote:Is there any reason why this thread can't be (retrospectively) closed prior to today and bounce the latest posts into Other Footy? Totally tedious cr*p in OTC's post, which is not CTFC Chat and I suspect of no interest to most Robins supporters.
Not me who opened this thread. :)