Fans' forum

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Updates here from 7.30pm: http://bit.ly/CTFCFansForum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
20:05
PB: The manager will be here next year
and we are offering new contracts to several players, so we will have that continuity

20:21
PB: We have NO intention of changing our manager and Gary will be our manager next season. He’s one of the best managers in our league without question.

Hopefully the haters can pipe down now and stop calling for his head, as clearly it's not going to happen based on PB's comments.
Jon Palmer
One of the most enthralling fans' forums I've attended at Whaddon Road, full recap can be found here: http://bit.ly/CTFCFansForum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
Thanks for the updates.

Certainly some very interesting questions!
art vandalay
Johnsons Red Army wrote:20:05
PB: The manager will be here next year
and we are offering new contracts to several players, so we will have that continuity

20:21
PB: We have NO intention of changing our manager and Gary will be our manager next season. He’s one of the best managers in our league without question.

Hopefully the haters can pipe down now and stop calling for his head, as clearly it's not going to happen based on PB's comments.
I fully agree re both quotes about manager and players.
CTFC03
Sounds like GJ didn't speak very well, let's hope we have a better summer transfer window, keep the majority and get some quality around the decent nucleus that we have and if Mo leaves then we spend wisely in other areas of the squad.
Malabus
Q: Is anything happened with the stand?
PB: the council have listened to us about a development. They could have put 16 houses on the old prefab site, but they haven’t and that could have ended our plans to redevelop this stand.
We need to generate revenue from the new stand. I’d like to see corner to corner stand, an extra tier, renting offices out. The council wants to see us improving as a town. We have done a good job over the last 20 years. We want to keep progressing, working with the council, but it will take some big money.
Agree...corner to corner would be a great improvement and modern.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:Sounds like GJ didn't speak very well, let's hope we have a better summer transfer window, keep the majority and get some quality around the decent nucleus that we have and if Mo leaves then we spend wisely in other areas of the squad.
From what I read and heard he spoke well enough in my view.
Robin
Sounds like GJ spoke very well as did the board despite the fact there were a couple of dissenters at the fans forum (although I disagree with their view I respect their right to air it).

I feel at the moment the club is in a little rut and we need some good news for the fans namely Winnie and Boyle signing new deals, the new stand being two tiered also sounds very good, I hope capacity is then 3000+ so we can offer the In2print to away fans also.
Oldun
If the question about Peter Johnson (Is he only working n Bristol?) is as reported it was totally out of order. Especially if he was the man responsible for unearthing Mo. Gary said the question made him sad. The understatement of a true gent.
Shade
They're our local "big club", as it were. Clubs in London have more local "big sides" to choose from, as do teams in the north. Where are we supposed to be getting our loans from?

"We shouldn't be getting loans, we should be bringing our own young players through"
Get real.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Some of the questions and comments seem like what we would expect from Mal’s flat earth mob at a Q&A with NASA.

Amazing and baffling how bitter and full of nonsense some fans get. Gary and the panel did well to dignify them with polite and reasoned responses.
Robin
Shade wrote:They're our local "big club", as it were. Clubs in London have more local "big sides" to choose from, as do teams in the north. Where are we supposed to be getting our loans from?

"We shouldn't be getting loans, we should be bringing our own young players through"
Get real.
To be honest I find the statement from PB a little strange, I certainly don't see Bristol City as a big club or anymore local than say Aston Villa (who are a genuine big club), Wolves (who are a far bigger club), Blues (again bigger club) or Baggies (again far bigger club).
Shade
Except that Bristol City are south of us and have fewer clubs to send their youth to, and are probably cheaper for us to have players from because of our connections and they want their players to stay local
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We don’t want to be associated with West Midlands grot. City are the biggest club in our region (arguably Bournemouth).
Del Boy
If Bournemouth is 'in our region' the biggest clubs are probably Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Swansea, Watford, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke and a whole heap of others.
Lord Elpuz
Oldun wrote:If the question about Peter Johnson (Is he only working n Bristol?) is as reported it was totally out of order. Especially if he was the man responsible for unearthing Mo. Gary said the question made him sad. The understatement of a true gent.
Well said, Oldun, I was disgusted by that question too. I am hopeful this was a tongue in cheek comment intended to raise a laugh, because I don’t think it’s the view of the vast majority of Cheltenham fans for a serious question.

Pete Johnson does a huge amount of scouting work for our club and has extensive lists of potential future recruits for various positions in the team, ready to be called upon when transfer windows open, or contracts are ended.

Cheltenham Town are steadily building a group of young players gaining in League experience and that nucleus is being added to from Pete Johnson’s dossier when the right players at the right price (salaries) become available. Praise here for Paul Baker too, for providing accommodation to ensure the salaries the club pays enables players to live in the area.

The fact Cheltenham Town are making a profit is in part due to Pete Johnson’s recruitment. You only have to look at Forest Green Rovers’ balance book to see what can happen when money is being splashed about in a crazy fashion.

The Bristol City connection has proven to be a lifeline several times over the years and it makes absolute sense for both clubs to benefit from that connection.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:If Bournemouth is 'in our region' the biggest clubs are probably Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Swansea, Watford, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke and a whole heap of others.
You f#!$ imbecile. Officially, Bournemouth (and the whole of Dorset) is in the South West Region. Look it up for yourself.

Whilst personally I am an advocate of Historic Counties (which has Bournemouth in Hampshire and Bristol in Gloucestershire for example) and pre-1972 Act local boundaries, which would agree with your sentiment, the fact of the matter is Bournemouth, like Cheltenham, is in the South West Region whether you or I like it.

Happy to go on ad nauseum about local and regional geography as it is one of my biggest interests (and focus of much of my academic and professional career) but I shan’t, luckily.
Del Boy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:If Bournemouth is 'in our region' the biggest clubs are probably Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, Swansea, Watford, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke and a whole heap of others.
You f#!$ imbecile. Officially, Bournemouth (and the whole of Dorset) is in the South West Region. Look it up for yourself.

Whilst personally I am an advocate of Historic Counties (which has Bournemouth in Hampshire and Bristol in Gloucestershire for example) and pre-1972 Act local boundaries, which would agree with your sentiment, the fact of the matter is Bournemouth, like Cheltenham, is in the South West Region whether you or I like it.

Happy to go on ad nauseum about local and regional geography as it is one of my biggest interests (and focus of much of my academic and professional career) but I shan’t, luckily.
Ha ha you really are a moron if you think football clubs go by regions. I can see Bournemouth sending their young layers 120 odd miles because they are 'in our region'. Now go away you boring little man. You are the main - perhaps only reason - I rarely look at this site these days. By your own admission you rarely go to matches but you are by far the biggest poster - too much time on your hands clearly while the rest of us have meaningful work and social lives.
CTFC03
Lots of unhappy people on Twitter so he can't have spoken well enough because there were a lot of moans on there last night, granted you can't please everybody and we all have different views but I'm concerned about the manager and very much on the fence with Johnson.

4 wins in half a season is an absolute disgrace, we actually have a decent playing squad overall but they are being so poorly managed.
Admin
Site Administrator

RCS, was that really called for? I’m quite shocked at that outburst and don’t particularly want to see it again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Admin wrote:

RCS, was that really called for? I’m quite shocked at that outburst and don’t particularly want to see it again.
Apologies. Geographical ignorance makes me mad at the best of times, and the accompanying sarcastic remarks tipped me over the edge.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:

Ha ha you really are a moron if you think football clubs go by regions. I can see Bournemouth sending their young layers 120 odd miles because they are 'in our region'. Now go away you boring little man. You are the main - perhaps only reason - I rarely look at this site these days. By your own admission you rarely go to matches but you are by far the biggest poster - too much time on your hands clearly while the rest of us have meaningful work and social lives.
I don’t think Bournemouth will either as like you say they are miles away. The only reason I mentioned them was for geographical accuracy as I made the claim City were the biggest in team in our region. I was not commenting in the slightest with regards to what Bournemouth do with their players in their part of the country.

As for plenty of time, yup - wrote the post in question on the loo in the apartment where I am on holiday and writing this whilst the pasta boils.
Del Boy
I'd get yourself down the doctors if I was you - seem to spend all day on the crapper. Have a nice time in Skegness.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:I'd get yourself down the doctors if I was you - seem to spend all day on the crapper. Have a nice time in Skegness.
Whilst I did visit Butlins many times as a lad, not this time - not in the UK currently.

If by ‘ on the crapper’ you mean on this forum and my compulsive addiction to explain a simple (often irrelevant) point several times to f#!$ like you then yes a doctor would help. Though of the issues I have had treatment for this is the least harmful and my remaining permissible vice. However, my partner is agitating for me to come back to real world now so that’s me logging off for the day.
Del Boy
Enjoy. Will return tomorrow to read your thoughts on another match you haven't been to - live from your bathroom, of course.
Oldun
The lack of respect and the continued moaning on here and apparently on twitter is an absolute disgrace. Where is the acknowledgement of the work PJ and GJ did in promotion season when they found firstly the players to send us to the top and then Holman to take us over the line? Where is the acknowledgment of the uncovering of Mo, the signing of Winnie, Boylo etc?
As for the Echo comment that suggests that fans are not happy with not promotion of youth team lads what possibly evidence might they have for putting them in the League 2 team when GJ and the rest of his staff see them on a regular basis.
The ignorance and the failure to respect what GJ PJ and PB has done is at best disrespectful and at worst insulting. No wonder normally placid and wise men like RCS lose it from time to time.
As for the 4 wins in half a season comment......total insanity. What half a season is that? Last time I looked we had 10 wins in 36 games and we have just given top sides a good run for their money.
I have two messages for GJ PJ PB
1) Carry on the good work at CTFC
2) Don't read the Robins Nest or Twitter because if you do you may well lose the will to carry on.
longmover
There is absolutley nothing wrong with asking questions, these people are not beyond that , you're in terrible trouble if the 'beyond question' ethos sinks in.
Oldun
I don't remember saying there is anything wrong with questions. Questions with innuendo like the one asked re PJ are out of order and show a lack of respect and of understanding of what has been achieved since relegation.
andgarod
I was at the forum
I have watched most of the reserve matches and I would say Bower is no where ready
Once we are safe then perhaps
I have yret tio hear those who want GJ gone who they will replace him with

The club for once made some money last season

GJ explained the advantages of loans and the need
He is absolutely right that if we have bad results its his head

I agreed with most of his answers.
What we dont know is what the discussions are between board and management

Those who want him to do better explain whos money and how much they want spent
Just as I believe the PJ comment was made as a sarcastic joke to ask a sensible question
GJ comment about experience and badges was in similar vein

I dont know if those who want him gone have lived through MA and Gould
They probably watch the prem and champions league and play fifa etc but this is real life

Equally those who can see nothing wrong at the club live in the same cloud cuckoo land

PB said football had changed but that is when fans become fans, when the going gets tough and it certainly hasnt been tough in the last 36 games

If they dont like what they see then they stop coming fine its their choice but 20 or 30 on twitter etc does not represent the ctfc fan
One radio commentator was being quoted and his statistics were used but I would suggest he was ignoring lots of facts and also an element orf realism

Yes we would all love to win every match and bring in our young players who will win the league and take us to the prem but I suggest a level of realism would be useful
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is a spectrum and no one is 100% correct so are we supporting the club or do we want to be proved right at what and who ever expense
Just as people should avoid commenting on matches they dont attend the same should be true of fans forums
Tweeting will give you a certain view just as watching from one area of the ground gives you a certain view

Get over it and support who ever is in the shirt
end of rant
Ihearye
andgarod wrote:I was at the forum
I have watched most of the reserve matches and I would say Bower is no where ready
Once we are safe then perhaps
I have yret tio hear those who want GJ gone who they will replace him with

The club for once made some money last season

GJ explained the advantages of loans and the need
He is absolutely right that if we have bad results its his head

I agreed with most of his answers.
What we dont know is what the discussions are between board and management

Those who want him to do better explain whos money and how much they want spent
Just as I believe the PJ comment was made as a sarcastic joke to ask a sensible question
GJ comment about experience and badges was in similar vein

I dont know if those who want him gone have lived through MA and Gould
They probably watch the prem and champions league and play fifa etc but this is real life

Equally those who can see nothing wrong at the club live in the same cloud cuckoo land

PB said football had changed but that is when fans become fans, when the going gets tough and it certainly hasnt been tough in the last 36 games

If they dont like what they see then they stop coming fine its their choice but 20 or 30 on twitter etc does not represent the ctfc fan
One radio commentator was being quoted and his statistics were used but I would suggest he was ignoring lots of facts and also an element orf realism

Yes we would all love to win every match and bring in our young players who will win the league and take us to the prem but I suggest a level of realism would be useful
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there is a spectrum and no one is 100% correct so are we supporting the club or do we want to be proved right at what and who ever expense
Just as people should avoid commenting on matches they dont attend the same should be true of fans forums
Tweeting will give you a certain view just as watching from one area of the ground gives you a certain view

Get over it and support who ever is in the shirt
end of rant

What % of your comment is correct ?
Johnsons Red Army
What % of your posts on this forum are made from this account only?
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We don’t want to be associated with West Midlands grot. City are the biggest club in our region (arguably Bournemouth).
Geographical pedantry aside, I find the notion of a “big club” similarly fascinating. Crowd size? Trophies? History?

Are Blackpool a small club now? Or do they remain a big club because of their history? What about Huddersfield? They’ve won more titles than Chelsea, but had no success at all for 60 years.

Bournemouth have been a Cheltenham-sized club for most of their existence. Are they now ‘big’ simply by being in the Premier League? Will they become “small” when they inevitably head back down the leagues like Wigan?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:We don’t want to be associated with West Midlands grot. City are the biggest club in our region (arguably Bournemouth).
Geographical pedantry aside, I find the notion of a “big club” similarly fascinating. Crowd size? Trophies? History?

Are Blackpool a small club now? Or do they remain a big club because of their history? What about Huddersfield? They’ve won more titles than Chelsea, but had no success at all for 60 years.

Bournemouth have been a Cheltenham-sized club for most of their existence. Are they now ‘big’ simply by being in the Premier League? Will they become “small” when they inevitably head back down the leagues like Wigan?
Very interesting. I personally wouldn’t class Bournemouth as a bigger club than City - only about 15 league places or so apart, and Ashton Gate two or three times the size of Bournemouth’s ground.

Blackpool, Huddersfield - I couldn’t possibly say. Bizarrely, two teachers at my school were big Huddersfield fans who watched CTFC occasionally as their second team / local team. Whereas I only knew one other CTFC fan at school, so for me personally Huddersfield have always seemed to have a bigger and more proper fan base than us.

I will stick my neck out and say that success is not a determination of big club. I think it is the sense of size you get from the fan base and ground. Even in L1 and L2 clubs like Leeds, Huddersfield and Portsmouth has that feeling where passion for the club is passed down from generation to generation and they’d take thousands to an away game even if it was the Checkatrade first round. Whereas as other clubs like us have more of that hobbyist and amateur sense about it, where supporting CTFC and not a top flight club is still rare amongst all ages.
kora
Well said Oldun and Andgarod. It seems to be a common feature all over the country that younger fans, hence the majority of it being on social media, calling for the head of their respective manager if their team lose 2 games in a row. Hopefully these whippersnappers will learn as they mature that such action is usually NOT the answer, Birmingham and Leeds in recent times are very good examples of this failed strategy.