Prestbury Pudding

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tough going on the Course for the start of the Festival.

Ignore the tips; this is very much a day (or week if the rain keeps up) for a ‘Cheltenham Horse’.

Find an older horse who had loved running at Cheltenham for years, but with few victories to his or her name and bet each way with the long odds.

Don’t ask me to define a Cheltenham Horse, it is far too metaphysical to express in text - only that true Cheltonians with the air and blood of the town and the hills in their body get ‘that’ feeling when they know a horse is Cheltenham or not. I remember some London lads trying to ask me to explain it in a Shepherd’s Bush bookies when I insisted they backed Flagship Uberalles in the 2004 Queen Mum. A previous winner, but old and unfancied they thought I was mad, but the power of the conviction of the Cheltenham feeling persuaded them and money was happily made.

The best example of a non-Cheltenham Horse in very recent times is Silviniaco Conti. On first running and first sight everything about the beast instantly sent feeling through your body that it would never cope at Cheltenham. Yet it was a few years of coming into the Festival on champion form, on a wave of media hype, with favourite status, before failing in anonymity before the racing fraternity woke up to the fact which had been instinctive to Cheltonians from day one.

In today’s feature, My Tent or Yours at 18/1 is 7th favourite. Definitely a horse who when feeling the Cheltenham grass on his hoof and the roar in his ears runs a good four places higher than form of the field suggests. This is where I will be making my money today.
Johnsons Red Army
As you alluded to, the going is going to catch quite a few out this week.

Though, with that said, the favourite (Buveur D'Air) in this race looks pretty hard to beat. Nevertheless, I may have a small bet on the second favourite (Faugheen). He looked an absolute monster in the past.
Johnsons Red Army
My Tent or Yours non-runner now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:My Tent or Yours non-runner now.
:lol:
Shade
Johnsons Red Army wrote:My Tent or Yours non-runner now.
At least I got my money back...

I'll speak to you later, when my 13189.26/1 acca has come in........

:?
Johnsons Red Army
Drinks on Shade on Saturday it sounds like :lol: !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just made my lunch time hop to Ladbrokes. I always punt on two races on Day 1. The first race and the feature. Summerville Boy and Identity Theif, seeing as My Tent or Yours is NR.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
YES! Get in there Boyo!!

Cheltenham f#!$ horse!
Johnsons Red Army
Drinks on RCS too :lol: !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Drinks on RCS too :lol: !
Drinks on anyone who backs a Cheltenham Horse.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Hopefully I've backed one too (Faugheen) !
Shade
Well the acca is knackered (thanks, Ruby), but I did back Summerville Boy EW, and then stuck the money back from My Tent Or Yours on him to win as well so I'm happy and quitting now :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Johnsons Red Army wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Hopefully I've backed one too (Faugheen) !
Hope so. Has all of the right emotional credentials...former winner, back from injury but improving, old boy with one last hurrah on his favourite track still to come.

I rarely back to win and no value on each way on Faugheen for me...I hope he wins, and my outsider gets third.
Johnsons Red Army
Congrats the pair of you :D !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Well the acca is knackered (thanks, Ruby), but I did back Summerville Boy EW, and then stuck the money back from My Tent Or Yours on him to win as well so I'm happy and quitting now :lol:
Great work.
Shade
The next race only has 5 runners and one (Robinshill) was 100/1 when I backed him yesterday. With the name, those odds and the number of runners, I just had to stick a quid on him. He's in to 80/1 now :lol:

Here's hoping for some non-injured fallers...
Johnsons Red Army
No drinks on me :lol: !
Shade
Well it's all gone south since the first race, as it always seems to for me :lol: still, made my profit on the first race so anything else is a bigger bonus.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shame for Faugheen. Time to retire to a life of pasture I think. Be sad to see him plod on being well beaten, Wenger style.

Great win by a true great.

Identify Thief in fourth, so I lost my e/w bet there but still a reasonable shout and pleased with the day.

Obviously winners remorse on race one is trying to set in, “if only I wagered more”, but such is the road to rack and ruin so will have to ignore those thoughts next time I visit the bookmaker.
Johnsons Red Army
Agree, retirement beckons for Faugheen.

Writing was on the wall 3 out, if not earlier. Recent form suggests no longer interested and/or good enough, so hopefully owners do right by him and retire.

Edit: Although, sadly, doesn't appear to be what is going to happen based on the trainer's comments:

"Faugheen probably wants a longer trip at this stage of his career," said the trainer. "He’s just not got that spark for two miles. We’ll probably go up in trip for Punchestown or possibly the race at Aintree. The horse is fine – all my runners have come back fine.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Grand National could end in tears if that is what he is alluding to. Don’t do it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nico vs Ruby in the feature.

Nico’s first race of the day. Ruby riding in the three previous races.

Will Ruby have more feel for the course and be in the zone whilst Nico will be going in ‘cold’?

Douvan for me.

With a standard each way on the long odds De Bromhead / Fehily combination whoever that is.
Malabus
So now RCS is a racing expert which join the list of the other areas he has expertise.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:So now RCS is a racing expert which join the list of the other areas he has expertise.
Not a racing expert by any means, just some friendly racing chat with other punters.

As for other areas of expertise - I cannot comment without knowing which you are on about.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ruby vs Nico: Ruby down and hurt in race 2!
Shade
Had a bad day yesterday, didn't win anything but was one horse away from £3500.

Won the first today with acca coming in second place. Got a good feeling today will be my Lee Westwood day...