Sutton United - I missed this news

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sutton could be relegated out of the National League if they win promotion but refuse to spend money replacing their artificial pitch.

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-goss ... ion-first/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The EFL need to sort this out. I and others complain a lot about ticket costs for poor quality games. Artificial pitch would help here no end.

I think this is why the EFL are against it - they have see Sutton and Bromley getting success playing on a decent surface to the detriment of ‘bigger teams’ who stuck in the mud physically and metaphorically. If they let Sutton up, and they win L2 by virtue of being the only team to play 23 games on a usable surface then old bigger clubs will complain.

Also seen in rugby union. Two of the top four Prem sides play on a 3G pitch. Newcastle Falcons 4th, having their best season for ages. The artificial pitch has led to more exiting games with more tries, attracting more fans, and attracting players who like being able to play good try scoring running rugby. The artificial pitch has been so successful the club are now redeveloping a huge uncovered terrace into a covered stand to meet the demand for tickets. The rise of the 3G teams has pushed the likes of Leicester, Northampton and Bath into mid table. They will have to make the switch soon.

If we had a 3G pitch, Gloucester could still be sharing and we could charge hardly any rent - just enough to cover floodlights and utilities. The reserves, women’s and youth sides could all play at WR. First team could train at WR in emergencies if Seasons under water or frozen, etc. Fewer games postponed and fewer fans put off by disgusting unplayable pitches ruining games.

I can’t think of a valid reason why the EFL should not change the rule.
longmover
Because they want rid of the lower leagues so don't want a surge of interest.
Shade
Wouldn't worry about it. They got hammered at home yesterday by 10th placed Bromley.