Circus 1 football 0

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Better team won. Fair play, first half they were better side

It’s hard to explain to kids that the bad guy sometimes wins. But today the money beat the football club and we all have to suck it up

Great strike by doidge
The team that lined up to win the game with the requisite style won the game.

Easy to explain to kids that if you pick a team and tactic which has seen you fail at home multiple times the chances are you will fail agin.

Nothing to do with money; had we played two or three up and attacked properly from the start we would have won.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Yes, I don’t want to quibble. Better team won and I’m disappointed.

FGR stay up this year so we’re all back here next year :shock:
Maybe next year we’ll set-up to win home games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:I think that’s harsh on GJ. Graham is clearly no better than wright, but wright is not quite the standard required (we did look better with him on the field). Johnson has gambled on several others, the gamble has not paid off.

We’re ‘that’ close to being a goood side. A dominant centre half, a good second striker, and (as the season goes on) a replacement for pell to drive us forward. We lacked drive today. It’s hard to define but you know it when you see it, and even more you notice when it’s not there!
You say Wright not up to standard, but you also say we looked better with him on the field. That is the point; playing Wright alongside Mo was always going to be better than one up front. We have seen it fail so many times at home that it is not harsh to question why we did it again.

Lack of drive: that comes from playing a lightweight striker up front on his own and a CM on the wing. Any drive we did start with would have been lost the first time we tried to get the ball to Mo marked by two big defenders with no strong attacker helping him.

I’ll stick to away games and the home games when I am down for holidays/visits. Coughing up over £100 to come down for a game where the chances are we are going to go one up front and play ineffective football is not worth it, no matter how close we are to being a good side.
shevates
Im getting fed up of johnson dreadfull formations. We have possibly the best striker in our league, and we play him up front on his own and all we do is hump the ball in the air to him and his only downfall is he cant win headers. So we play to his weakness, bravo Johnson. For the first 70 mins the FGR defence thought it was a charity match. When wright and graham came on we caused them some problems. Like those two or not they had a presence. Sort it Johnson
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Im getting fed up of johnson dreadfull formations. We have possibly the best striker in our league, and we play him up front on his own and all we do is hump the ball in the air to him and his only downfall is he cant win headers. So we play to his weakness, bravo Johnson. For the first 70 mins the FGR defence thought it was a charity match. When wright and graham came on we caused them some problems. Like those two or not they had a presence. Sort it Johnson
Exactly. Don’t need to watch many DVDs to see how the FGR defenders have struggled under pressure all season. And we do the opposite. Rudderless and not sure where we go from here.

Shevates: Upside is, the money I save from not renewing my ST means I can restart my 500 Club subs!
shevates
Thanks Sam
Malabus
Yep...Eisa being lob long balls and as a lone striker is a complete and utter disaster.
Shade
To be fair though, Mo was f#!$ useless today, apart from one second half effort.
shevates
He was not up to scratch shade as his odds of winning aimless air balls pumped to him where fodder for FGRs defence. If ever theres a way to p!## of our prize assett, play like that.
Shade
But he had the ball on the ground several times in the first half and went down everytime. Yes, he was fouled a couple of times but there was no desire to stay on his feet and fight, especially after it became clear the ref wasn't going to give him anything all afternoon. And his attempts to try and win anything in the air were pathetic.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:But he had the ball in the ground and went down everytime. Yes, he was foyled a coupke of times but there was no desire to stay on his fight and feet, especially after it became clear the ref wasnt going to give him anything all afternoon.
How many was he having to beat every time? How many were in the box? How many had options to pass to? How many were in space created by runs from other attacking team mates?
drgm
shevates wrote:Im getting fed up of johnson dreadfull formations. We have possibly the best striker in our league, and we play him up front on his own and all we do is hump the ball in the air to him and his only downfall is he cant win headers. So we play to his weakness, bravo Johnson. For the first 70 mins the FGR defence thought it was a charity match. When wright and graham came on we caused them some problems. Like those two or not they had a presence. Sort it Johnson

Shev. I see you as a glass half full man so your criticism of Gary is quite telling. Mo is potentially the most valuable
player we've had since we've been in the league. What Gary should be doing is playing two up front at home and giving
Mo the support he needs to achieve his potential. That potential could translate into a big transfer fee for the Robins but Gary persists well past the point where it is obvious to anyone in the ground that one up front does not work.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:But he had the ball in the ground and went down everytime. Yes, he was foyled a coupke of t imes but there was no desire to stay on his fight and feet, especially after it became clear the ref wasnt going to give him anything all afternoon.
How many was he having to beat every time? How many were in the box? How many had options to pass to? How many were in space created by runs from other attacking team mates?
Like in the other thread you quoted me on, that is completely irrelevant. There was little desire and fight from him to find a man, stay on his feet or win the ball in a tackle. Even if you have no options I expect you to try your best.
Alf
I thought that after a good half time bollocking the players would be out there in the second half running their bits off. The fact that they didn’t may tell you a lot about the relationship between manager and players.
theidlerich
They probably came out early - in fact very early - to get away from him. :)
Alf
theidlerich wrote:They probably came out early - in fact very early - to get away from him. :)
:lol: :lol: