Seroius questions over GJ now......

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Horteng
Well that was my first game in a long, long time and its fair to say I wont be back anytime soon.

Absolutely woeful from all involved today. GJ was the only man in the ground that didn't feel the need to change things before the 65th minute.

FGR's time wasting was embarrassing and their fans/ management even more embarrassing but to be fair their players wanted it more than ours. NOT ACCEPTABLE

A day to forget........ A season to forget

Serious questions need to be asked whether Gary is the right man to take us forward......
Horteng
I have never felt so p!ssed off leaving WR then I did today......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What is your verdict on home games and results this season then Ben2?
Horteng
Ben2 wrote:You can forget this season and not come back. That’s to you. For me I remember relegation. I remember non league football. I remember people hounding Yates out that led directly to our relegation from the football league. I remember moor green away.

If you don’t like league football then get lost and never return

If you do then pay respect to the man who got us up and kept us up and is improving the squad

I pray gary doesn’t read this absolute drivel and leave us. We’d be non-league within a season. So then hopefully Horteng you may come more than once a year.

For gods sake
:roll:

Its my opinion. You are welcome to yours.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben2 wrote:Who cares how you felt? It makes no difference, unless you let your feelings lead to stupid comments that affect the club as a whole.

If Johnson leaves us this summer we are relegated next year. No debate.

But that’s cool because you’ve come to a game and have decided you know best

The world has gone mad I tell you!
Your verdict on home games and results this season?
bigdavejambo
i was criticised earlier in the season after calling for GJ's head BUT the crucial question is IF GJ goes which i dont think he will then who out there is available and crucially who is affordable that could replace GJ? I cant think of anybody offhand.
Horteng
Ben2 wrote:Who cares how you felt? It makes no difference, unless you let your feelings lead to stupid comments that affect the club as a whole.

If Johnson leaves us this summer we are relegated next year. No debate.

But that’s cool because you’ve come to a game and have decided you know best

The world has gone mad I tell you!
Who cares how I feel?

You clearly!! lol
kiaora84
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him walk away at the end of the season
drgm
I'm sorry Ben2 but you need to calm down.

It's all about opinions. Hortengs' opinion is as valid as anybody else's and he is free to express his view.
You are obviously happy with the way the club just drifts along. Many are not.

This was a match that could have added some gloss to a mediocre season but Gary contrived to hand
the initiative to FGR.

The club lacks ambition. Will Boyle can see it and I'm sure Carl Winchester can see it too

I have hardly missed a home game in twenty years but will pick and chose my games from now on.

It's easy to be positive when you're not handing over hard earned cash
bigdavejambo
can anybody see a return of Mr Cotterill happening?
Oldun
And who would blame him if he did. His comments after the game suggested he is fed up with those who last week wanted to wave at him and today were abusive. Who can blame him for that. Even one of those involved in running the 500 club is publicly coming on the Nest to moan. Disgraceful.
And we are still waiting for the name of the successor that is going to come in and transform this club into a Div 1 side at the drop of a hat.
Loyalty, amnesia reality and common sense all a bit of an issue on here!

To say Gary handed the initiative to FGR is such trite superfiacial nonsense. The players did not turn up. That is not Gary's fault. The formation? It got us three nil win last Saturday.
Nham68
Oldun wrote:And who would blame him if he did. His comments after the game suggested he is fed up with those who last week wanted to wave at him and today were abusive. Who can blame him for that. Even one of those involved in running the 500 club is publicly coming on the Nest to moan. Disgraceful.
And we are still waiting for the name of the successor that is going to come in and transform this club into a Div 1 side at the drop of a hat.

To say Gary handed the initiative to FGR is such trite superfiacial nonsense. The players did not turn up. That is not Gary's fault. The formation? It got us three nil win last Saturday.
Just because the formation worked vs Morecambe, doesn’t mean you use the same vs different opposition. Tactically , today was poor . Could see that Mo was getting nothing after 20 mins .

Premature to call for gaffers head, though many have concerns .. me included.
To think there are no other good managers out there is fatalistic and clearly not true.
asl
Nham68 wrote:Could see that Mo was getting nothing after 20 mins.
Exactly! Blatantly obvious to all watching. It took until half time for a change to be made - and that was to put the totally-ineffective Pell upfront as a make-shift striker. It took until the 70th minute to actually put a second striker on.
bigdavejambo
Nham68 wrote:
Oldun wrote:And who would blame him if he did. His comments after the game suggested he is fed up with those who last week wanted to wave at him and today were abusive. Who can blame him for that. Even one of those involved in running the 500 club is publicly coming on the Nest to moan. Disgraceful.

Just because the formation worked vs Morecambe, doesn’t mean you use the same vs different opposition. Tactically , today was poor . Could see that Mo was getting nothing after 20 mins .

Premature to call for gaffers head, though many have concerns .. me included.
To think there are no other good managers out there is fatalistic and clearly not true.
the only two i can think of who are available, realistic and know the club are Cotterill and McCann.
Sprout Picker
bigdavejambo wrote:can anybody see a return of Mr Cotterill happening?
No.
I-Love-CTFC
Ben2 you're a well known moron and wind-up merchant on this forum. Don't know why you're still allowed to post such sh1te.
longmover
We need to be very careful what we wish for, do we really want to be in barnet or chesterfield's position.
Oldun
So Gary gets it for not changing the winning team v Morecombe....Imagine if he had changed it! It is so easy to spout all this wisdom after a game Nham68. Did you post last Sat to say how good the team selection was?
And for those who moan about square pegs...did you moan last Saturday? No I thought not! And who are the square pegs anyway? TM is a full back and centre back. For those dull of understanding (as Gary explained) our 4-5-1 is also 4-4-3 when we attack.......
Get real boys. FG were better on the day. Their guys wanted it more and we were beaten. We are safe. We have improved on last season. We will finish above FG We are not in the relegation scrap We are football league again next season and all is well with the world.
Finally (for today!)a message to Gary....Keep up the good work and thank you for all you have achieved for us at CTFC. Many of us are truly grateful.
Benctfc
Today was dreadful imo. I hadn't missed more than a couple of home games over the last 5 years but had missed the last few this season due to the fact we had nothing to play for and the value for money this season. I came today expecting us to take the game to a team with pressure on near the bottom of the league but no we play 1 up top and give their dodgy back 4 the easiest game they will have all season. GJ doesn't help himself if we had gone for it today and lost 3-2 many fans would have accepted it but the tactics today were an embarrasment as was the performance, Cooper completely out thought him im afraid. Today just another poor performance in a poor season be glad when its over tbh.
Horteng
I dont think anyone blames Gary sticking with the same team however home and away games should be approched differently.

The worst thing was the lack of changes when it clearly wasn't working and square pegs in round holes
Oldun
And last time I looked Morecombe and FGR were two HOME games. The problem is a simple one. Several on the Nest do not like GJ and whatever he does is wrong. Sadly his success is long forgotten and he will never be given any scope or positivity, Hence after Morecombe the Nest is quiet, yesterday the knives are out. See also the ridiculous entry under "losing faith" where mindless nonsense replaces common sense.
e.g, Illias...How does the poster know that he will be available? Of course he doesn't!
e.g. Club Captain to FG. If this RUMOUR turns out to be true, it is hardly surprising let alone unthinkable. Get real. FGR can afford to buy all our players. We cannot compete financially with FGR This is 2018 not 1990
I could go on and ridicule most of the points made but will rest my case here.
My final comment is around loyalty and being a TRUE supporter. Those who threaten not to come again or not to buy a season ticket are hardly true fans or club supporters. If such fickle frailty turns up in their heads then they are clearly not genuine fans of CTFC and to be brutally honest we are better off without them.
Ihearye
drgm wrote:I'm sorry Ben2 but you need to calm down.

It's all about opinions. Hortengs' opinion is as valid as anybody else's and he is free to express his view.
You are obviously happy with the way the club just drifts along. Many are not.

This was a match that could have added some gloss to a mediocre season but Gary contrived to hand
the initiative to FGR.

The club lacks ambition. Will Boyle can see it and I'm sure Carl Winchester can see it too

I have hardly missed a home game in twenty years but will pick and chose my games from now on.

It's easy to be positive when you're not handing over hard earned cash
+1
Oldun
Ihearye

a 3 - 0 win which had about as much excitement or entertainment in it as todays's match. Three goals don't make it a great match, 3 goals didnt make us a great team. I would say without any hesitation that FGR we saw today would have put 3 past Morcambe. Just my opinion and not one that 'experts' like Ben and yourself can obviously see beyond. The waving then abusing is indicative of teh mentality that says because we scored 3 we must be good, because we can't score we must be average. Performances between the two matches was not that much different. As far as any team management goes, not just in football. The manager selects his team and uses his skill to get the best out of them. That is HIS job end of
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Oldun wrote:And last time I looked Morecombe and FGR were two HOME games. The problem is a simple one. Several on the Nest do not like GJ and whatever he does is wrong. Sadly his success is long forgotten and he will never be given any scope or positivity, Hence after Morecombe the Nest is quiet, yesterday the knives are out. See also the ridiculous entry under "losing faith" where mindless nonsense replaces common sense.
e.g, Illias...How does the poster know that he will be available? Of course he doesn't!
e.g. Club Captain to FG. If this RUMOUR turns out to be true, it is hardly surprising let alone unthinkable. Get real. FGR can afford to buy all our players. We cannot compete financially with FGR This is 2018 not 1990
My final comment is around loyalty and being a TRUE supporter. Those who threaten not to come again or not to buy a season ticket are hardly true fans or club supporters. If such fickle frailty turns up in their heads then they are clearly not genuine fans of CTFC and to be brutally honest we are better off without them.
Morecambe, FGR, and twenty others...we have won only 8! Only 30 goals in the 22 home games, average of 1.36 per game. Eight of these came in two games against Morecambe and Vale, meaning only 22 goals in the other 20 games. 25 goals conceded so 1.13 per game.

As you know I have been one of Gary’s biggest supporters. I am questioning him but not calling for the sack.

Not loyal? Season ticket for 19 years, more than half my life and since 2010 I have lived 270 miles away. It costs me over £100 to get to a home game, plus 10 hours of travelling and being away from my wife and not spending time doing the things I enjoy doing on a weekend. So if you think that isn’t loyal then that’s your problem. What is my incentive to do that when the likely result (63% of home games) is we don’t win and don’t score more than one goal?
Ihearye
Oldun wrote:And last time I looked Morecombe and FGR were two HOME games. The problem is a simple one. Several on the Nest do not like GJ and whatever he does is wrong. Sadly his success is long forgotten and he will never be given any scope or positivity, Hence after Morecombe the Nest is quiet, yesterday the knives are out. See also the ridiculous entry under "losing faith" where mindless nonsense replaces common sense.

So now you dictate who teh club does or does not need.

Can't you see beyond the end of your nose ? If we take your starting point that we have the best manager we could have and one of the best managers in the league. The average loyal fan (myself), is fed up of getting turned over at home, watching such look warm performances throughout the team week after week. Believe me Morcambe was a win, not a stylish win, not a good team performance, but a win. So having such a great mananger is not helping change an below average season, not helping me think that on the whole, the team is up for this match, any match. You may be happy / content with this season. I pay as much as you do (I guess) and I am not content. What happened 3 years ago no longer has any bearing on my life or what happened yesterday. You can't keep on harping back to 3 seasons ago. THAT is the problem, we just can't put that in the done that drawer and look at what is happening now.
Ihearye
Ben2 wrote:Coterell or McCann? Oh my days, what utter fantasy world do people live in?

We could attract a failed manager of league 2 or a good one from local leagues.

What world do people live in? One of the most proven managers of his kind. Is there any better proven manager?

‘Nah....let’s get relegated. Booky will do it...he’ll probably be really good....’ :roll:
again then - which of those two categories did GJ fall in to ?
Oldun
Ben is one of the few on here that talk football sense without blind bias! Don't know who he is but he obviously knows his football and can reason from a sound football base without resorting to ridiculous exaggeration and nonsense as in the post I referred to earlier about losing faith. Also he is not a toys out the pram man when things go awry. Seems like a true supporter. Probably has his season ticket sorted already
(Brilliant sense of humour too!)
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Morecambe, FGR, and twenty others...we have won only 8! Only 30 goals in the 22 home games, average of 1.36 per game. Eight of these came in two games against Morecambe and Vale, meaning only 22 goals in the other 20 games. 25 goals conceded so 1.13 per game.

As you know I have been one of Gary’s biggest supporters. I am questioning him but not calling for the sack.

Not loyal? Season ticket for 19 years, more than half my life and since 2010 I have lived 270 miles away. It costs me over £100 to get to a home game, plus 10 hours of travelling and being away from my wife and not spending time doing the things I enjoy doing on a weekend. So if you think that isn’t loyal then that’s your problem. What is my incentive to do that when the likely result (63% of home games) is we don’t win and don’t score more than one goal?

Don't you know you are not loyal unless you can openly express your hurt at relegation or back the set up 100% whatecer happens. Some found relegation from L1 a bit more hurtful. Relegation to Conference was a case of c'est la vie. The one common thread with some is how they revel in living in the past - MY sacking (wrong in my opinion), winning conference, even to an extent SC - despite the heights he brought us to.
We need to be looking at TODAY, why are we so average, why are we getting turned over so often at home? Is it the budget ? Seems not as teams with worse are doing better. Is it the players, is is the management, is it team set up, we know its not the pitch this year, so are we left with muddy pitch players that can't handle a good surface? I don't know, but I sure know who should know
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we don’t go in for Garrard someone else in L2 or L1 will - unless Borehamwood get promoted themselves that is.
Ihearye
Oldun wrote:Ben is one of the few on here that talk football sense without blind bias! Don't know who he is but he obviously knows his football and can reason from a sound football base without resorting to ridiculous exaggeration and nonsense as in the post I referred to earlier about losing faith. Also he is not a toys out the pram man when things go awry. Seems like a true supporter. Probably has his season ticket sorted already
(Brilliant sense of humour too!)
Well thats all our problems for next season sorted. Can sit back and enjoy the summer now. Only doubt in my mind, is why are probably our two most consistent players throwing their toys out of the pram. hmmmmmmmmmm will have all summer to give that thought
drgm
There are a few on here who are happy for the players to take the blame when we lose and happy for the manager to take the credit when we win!

I'm sorry but performances are largely down to the manager. It's his squad, his budget, his team selection and his tactics. Yesterday
was a turning point for me.

It's no good talking about 'Gloucestershire's Cup Final' and then putting out a team like that. Ok Boyle is leaving but he's
still contracted to us and I'm sure he would have put in a shift being the professional player he is. Unfortunately Gary's petulance
meant this wasn't an option.

On too many occasions we've talked the talk but have not walked the walk. The squad is paper thin. Loads signed on but many mysteriously discarded after a few appearances.

I'm grateful to Gary for what he did. No one else could have acheived what he did in winning the national league. Unfortunately
that was two years ago and the club seems to lack ambition. Our better players are either going backwards or are moving on.

I understand the loyalty to Gary but to imagine that no one else could do better job than 16th on our budget is laughable. They ask
who else could come in and do better job. Well I don't have a list of available managers but we could do a lot worse than look
at Grant McCann. He has been unfairly sacked by Peterborough in my view and is probably itching to prove them wrong.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Don't you know you are not loyal unless you can openly express your hurt at relegation or back the set up 100% whatecer happens. Some found relegation from L1 a bit more hurtful. Relegation to Conference was a case of c'est la vie. The one common thread with some is how they revel in living in the past - MY sacking (wrong in my opinion), winning conference, even to an extent SC - despite the heights he brought us to.
We need to be looking at TODAY, why are we so average, why are we getting turned over so often at home? Is it the budget ? Seems not as teams with worse are doing better. Is it the players, is is the management, is it team set up, we know its not the pitch this year, so are we left with muddy pitch players that can't handle a good surface? I don't know, but I sure know who should know
Kept my ST when we went non-league. Ten hour round trip and over £100 to watch non-league football. But not loyal. Lol.

I am not even clamouring for Gary to be sacked. Just saying that spending another £375 when a) I don’t make any games and b) the games I do make are likely to end in a low scoring draw or defeat is not good value. The games I have been to this season have been tortuous and miserable affairs waiting for the final whistle out of some sort of masochistic obligation.

Sure, if Gary, or whoever changes philosophy and home games become enjoyable once again rather than painful I will get a half season ticket and get back on the wagon.
horlickfanclub
Good post by DRGM.
Lord Elpuz
I came away from the ground yesterday feeling pretty low, and woke up this morning feeling pretty low too. It was THE game that I didn’t want see us lose. We don’t have a divine right to win games and neither do we have a divine right to finish better than mid-table. However, I still believe that Gary Johnson is the man for the job and would not be one advocating he should go. It would be a hell of a gamble getting rid of him and as one or two others have said, the risk of relegation would be a serious worry. It’s important we don’t lose League status. Others have said the Club lacks ambition, that’s not Johnson’s fault, it needs investment for us to succeed, and that’s not always guaranteed either, but with Johnson at the helm with no investment we are safe in League 2.