Coventry

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Took over 4000 fans to Notts County today, given we are a similar distance away this should be easily our biggest gate of the season in a couple of weeks.
Jerry St Clair
I’m sure the club will have it covered but it seems clear that demand will massively outstrip supply for the away while there will be plenty of room in the home areas. Which can mean only on thing. Personally, i’m perfectly happy to stand next to opposition fans. If nothing else it’s all extra money in the coffers. But not everyone is so welcoming so the club need to decide in advance what they will do.
shevates
Give them more seats, income we shouldnt be turning away. Every bit helps to building a side to compete next season. Be great to have 10,000 plus for the last 2 home games
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
shevates wrote:Give them more seats, income we shouldnt be turning away. Every bit helps to building a side to compete next season. Be great to have 10,000 plus for the last 2 home games
500 Club installing an extra 3,000 capacity somewhere?
Robin
I would hope we give them half the In2print and the away end that would mean about 2000 seats for them, plus you would imagine 3000 home fans maybe more given the opposition and final home game of the season.
theidlerich
Jerry St Clair wrote:I’m sure the club will have it covered but it seems clear that demand will massively outstrip supply for the away while there will be plenty of room in the home areas. Which can mean only on thing. Personally, i’m perfectly happy to stand next to opposition fans. If nothing else it’s all extra money in the coffers. But not everyone is so welcoming so the club need to decide in advance what they will do.
Agree; the mind set of rather too many idiot supporters; this is like a 'red rag to a bull'. Personally would rather see a mix; as in that baffling game rugby and the more gentile [but slow in it's traditional form] cricket. Many an interesting dialogue with visiting fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:
Jerry St Clair wrote:I’m sure the club will have it covered but it seems clear that demand will massively outstrip supply for the away while there will be plenty of room in the home areas. Which can mean only on thing. Personally, i’m perfectly happy to stand next to opposition fans. If nothing else it’s all extra money in the coffers. But not everyone is so welcoming so the club need to decide in advance what they will do.
Agree; the mind set of rather too many idiot supporters; this is like a 'red rag to a bull'. Personally would rather see a mix; as in that baffling game rugby and the more gentile [but slow in it's traditional form] cricket. Many an interesting dialogue with visiting fans.
I was in the ‘neutral block’ in 2010 Europa League final which was almost a 50/50 split of Fulham and Athletico Madrid fans, which was great fun. Only downer was a Spanish chap behind who obsessively ate pistachios all match and his mound of discarded shell casings toppled down and fell beneath my chair. But rather that than some of the stuff one has to put up with from CTFC fans you end up sitting in front of!
Jerry St Clair
[quote="RegencyCheltenhamSpa”]

I was in the ‘neutral block’ in 2010 Europa League final which was almost a 50/50 split of Fulham and Athletico Madrid fans, which was great fun. Only downer was a Spanish chap behind who obsessively ate pistachios all match and his mound of discarded shell casings toppled down and fell beneath my chair. But rather that than some of the stuff one has to put up with from CTFC fans you end up sitting in front of![/quote]

Indeed. I’ve been in the neutral end at Fulham as an away fan. A group of us stood at the back singing next to a group of young Fulham fans who stood singing. They scored a last minute winner so emotions were polar opposite at the final whistle but we all shook hands and wished each other the best for the season. I firmly believe that segregation actually creates more animosity.

Anyway, for Coventry’s visit even if we give them half the I2P it won’t be enough so there will be Cov fans in the home areas. Assuming they come in peace I think the club should adopt a policy of leaving them be. And Home fans should be welcoming. Mass ejections will only cause bigger problems.
Robin
I think it's a case of being smart, come in keep your head down, ideally go in the old main stand or paddock areas and don't come in the C&G shouting for Coventry and the game will pass without any issues.
longmover
Theres always a couple of load mouths that like to show they are away fans in the home end, ex prem team that have fallen on hard times are full of them.
vickeryc
Coventry are a big fish in a small pond. A tiny minority of their 'fan base' has caused trouble on their travels, but it seems only where group(s) of home supporters have been up for it. Cheltenham aren't usually up for it, so I'd imagine it's unlikely there'll be much, if any, trouble.
CCFC
As you'll have seen, tickets went on sale this morning and have sold out. I'd expect a few hundred (if not more) of us to travel over anyway. What's the likelihood of getting in the home end or getting any more tickets? City fans won't cause any trouble but expect a few smoke bombs.

Any advice on pubs etc?

Good luck for the season, how's Gary Johnson doing for you lot? He must have a great record against us!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CCFC wrote:As you'll have seen, tickets went on sale this morning and have sold out. I'd expect a few hundred (if not more) of us to travel over anyway. What's the likelihood of getting in the home end or getting any more tickets? City fans won't cause any trouble but expect a few smoke bombs.

Any advice on pubs etc?

Good luck for the season, how's Gary Johnson doing for you lot? He must have a great record against us!
Sandford Park Alehouse was Camra national pub of the year in 2016 and if you head upstairs the Sky Blues should be able to take control of the whole upstairs room.

The Kemble, and the Sudeley Arms are the closest two pubs and both decent. The Cotswold not too far away.

Those four will keep you ticking over.

Feel free to bring as many in the home ends as you want. As long as not being noisy when entering there will be no issues. Suggest once in to form a group on an empty bit of the side terrace.

There maybe more tickets released; we sometimes give some of the hone stand to away fans increasing the allocation to 1,300 or something like that.
Shade
How many tickets were you given? About 1200 I think is usually all we can fit, which is the away end and a couple of blocks round the corner in the next stand. Other than that, you're looking at trying to get in the homes areas. As long as you're not in Coventry shirts and scarves it probably won't be a problem, unless someone complains to a steward that someone's being aggressive. I would suggest not going behind the goal in the home end as, where there's not likely to be any trouble, that's where it would be most likely.
Johnsons Red Army
Shade wrote:How many tickets were you given?
1345 apparently.

https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2018/april/ ... -sold-out/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
££££

Keep ‘em coming Sky Blues - we got players to sign in the summer.
Robin
CCFC wrote:As you'll have seen, tickets went on sale this morning and have sold out. I'd expect a few hundred (if not more) of us to travel over anyway. What's the likelihood of getting in the home end or getting any more tickets? City fans won't cause any trouble but expect a few smoke bombs.

Any advice on pubs etc?

I honestly don't know why we are not giving you more tickets, we will have about 3500 home fans at a guess plus what you bring. We have around 3000 home seats and 2500 home terrace spaces. Home seats tend to be at a premium for bigger games but if you keep your heads down there are plenty of space in the canteen/paddock terraces in front of the home stand and you will get no bother at all there if behaved. I would say not to come in the home end behind the goal as an away fan, I've seen other fans try it and there have been isolated incidents, of course if you come in and be quiet nobody would ever know but you'd certainly get a less welcome reception there.

As for pubs there aren't many now as most have closed down. There are two about a ten minute walk from the ground Sudeley Arms and Feathered Fish (this is a bit more upmarket not really a football pub). Generally you'll be fine and no hassle in either.

Town is about a 15-20 minute walk and has plenty of pubs, I'm sure there will be a big police presence there given how many you are bringing but again you should be welcome in most pubs.

Important to note hte station is about 4 miles away so a fair walk to the ground and the opposite side of hte town centre so take a taxi or have a few drink stops planned.

Enjoyed the game at your place, fantastic stadium and home fans were a good bunch.
Robin
Think we gave Leeds and other big clubs 1600 in previous seasons so strange why we are giving you 1300 but hopefully when our new stand gets built we can give you 2000 as a minimum.
Malabus
Robin wrote:Think we gave Leeds and other big clubs 1600 in previous seasons so strange why we are giving you 1300 but hopefully when our new stand gets built we can give you 2000 as a minimum.
Leicester brought a few too (1500+)
CCFC
Police could be restricting our allocation I believe. A few places have give us less than maximum.
everyman
Robin wrote:

Any advice on pubs etc?

I honestly don't know why we are not giving you more tickets, we will have about 3500 home fans at a guess plus what you bring. We have around 3000 home seats and 2500 home terrace spaces. Home seats tend to be at a premium for bigger games but if you keep your heads down there are plenty of space in the canteen/paddock terraces in front of the home stand and you will get no bother at all there if behaved. I would say not to come in the home end behind the goal as an away fan, I've seen other fans try it and there have been isolated incidents, of course if you come in and be quiet nobody would ever know but you'd certainly get a less welcome reception there.

As for pubs there aren't many now as most have closed down. There are two about a ten minute walk from the ground Sudeley Arms and Feathered Fish (this is a bit more upmarket not really a football pub). Generally you'll be fine and no hassle in either.

Town is about a 15-20 minute walk and has plenty of pubs, I'm sure there will be a big police presence there given how many you are bringing but again you should be welcome in most pubs.

Important to note hte station is about 4 miles away so a fair walk to the ground and the opposite side of hte town centre so take a taxi or have a few drink stops planned.

Enjoyed the game at your place, fantastic stadium and home fans were a good bunch.
D & E buses from station to centre,from there short walk to ground/pubs.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:

4 miles?! What, via Gloucester!

Its actually a very pleasant 2 mile walk from the station to the ground via the Honeybourne and the town centre. I'd say it's a leisurely 40 mins. Cov fans, if you arrive early and like a stroll, I'd recommend doing that and popping in the Bayshill pub which is en route and half decent.
Jerry St Clair
Just validated this with Google Maps. I walk from Hatherley by Bournside school. It's 2.4 miles and takes me 45 mins. You could easily walk from the station to the ground in 30 mins at a good march.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Just validated this with Google Maps. I walk from Hatherley by Bournside school. It's 2.4 miles and takes me 45 mins. You could easily walk from the station to the ground in 30 mins at a good march.
Yup, the way some go on about walking from the station or town to the ground makes Cheltenham sound like Los Angeles.

Easy and comfortable walk from station to town (for food and beer) and from town to the ground.
bigdavejambo
Jerry St Clair wrote:Just validated this with Google Maps. I walk from Hatherley by Bournside school. It's 2.4 miles and takes me 45 mins. You could easily walk from the station to the ground in 30 mins at a good march.

ive walked from WR to station in 45 minutes before and thats with a knackered ankle.
b4rn3sy
Hi, Cov fan in peace.

How do you go about buying tickets online? I can't see the Coventry game anywhere. Or has it already completely sold out?
Robin
It's not sold out but seats will likely be in short supply. I'd guess on-line sales have been stopped now that you have sold out but honestly just drive down (you can do it in around an hour) keep quiet and go in the Paddock/Canteen areas which are the least popular, so long as you don't celebrate you will be fine and will be able to watch the game with no issues.
ThelmaChen
b4rn3sy wrote:Hi, Cov fan in peace.

How do you go about buying tickets online? I can't see the Coventry game anywhere. Or has it already completely sold out?

Do you know anyone in the area that could get some tickets for you? What ever you do, don't use a Coventry postcode, they won't sell you tickets in the home end if you do.
bigdavejambo
i can see it getting made all-ticket this week
Jerry St Clair
Some reports from Crawley fans that Cov fans in the home ends caused a few problems at the weekend.
CCFC
I can confirm that that's not true, we didn't even sell out the away end so no reason for us to be in the home end
Jerry St Clair
Fair enough. There were a few complaints from Crawley fans on Twitter, so I did wonder about the veracity. Though “something” however minor, must have happened to generate those complaints.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Probably something about nothing. Maybe if it was all ticket for away fans a local exile or pay on the day fan or two went in home end and some petty Crawley moaned.

Won’t happen at Cheltenham - we are happy to take any extra cash from Sky Blue in the empty home areas.
Cov1
Jerry St Clair wrote:Fair enough. There were a few complaints from Crawley fans on Twitter, so I did wonder about the veracity. Though “something” however minor, must have happened to generate those complaints.
I was at Crawley on Saturday and for Coventry it was a fairly low key following. 1200 travelled with a few hundred tickets not sold.

I didn’t see or hear of any issues with Crawley, a couple of pitch invasions was all, which is pretty standard when Cov travel. Coventry have confirmed there will be no further allocations so be interesting to see what happens, I envisage plenty will travel without tickets given the potential importance of the game. Nearly 4500 were at County a couple of Saturday’s ago and the club could sell a similar volume for this one.
Last edited by Cov1 on 16 Apr 2018, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
I'm sorry about this Cov1 but we are really hamstrung until we can get our new stand built and increase the capacity for bigger away followings. All things considered we could easilly give you the canteen and Paddock terraces (extra 600 or so) with minimal impact to our fans I really don't get why we haven't done this other than potential issues in the car park afterwards.