CTFC and Crewe: quirks of goals and wins

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just noticed something which struck me as odd.

Comparing CTFC with Crewe.

Goals scored
CTFC 65
Crewe 58

Goals conceded
CTFC 65
Crewe 73

Games won
CTFC 13
Crewe 15
vickeryc
Need to consider games lost as well:
CTFC 19
Crewe 24
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
They lost five more but only one point behind us. Shows the value of wins and how we have been hamstrung by too many draws. Draws where we have conceded too many (3-3s or 2-2s) or ones where we have failed to convert chances (0-0s and 1-1s).

Too many of our goals come in the same match - no use knocking seven in in two games vs Vale and Morecambe if we fail to score enough vs Barnet and Chesterfield. Four 1-0 or 2-1 games would see us much better off!
vickeryc
I don't disagree - I was just pointing out a counter stat.
Draws are obviously better than a loss, but not much when others are winning. We have dropped two points from winning positions a few times (notably Luton A and Accrington A), but most of our draws have been salvaged from losing positions (e.g. Wycombe A; Luton H; Barnet H; Notts County H; Chesterfield H; Newport H; Grimsby A; FGR A).
It is indeed frustrating to win a few games handsomely and lose others narrowly, but that's football! Clearly, our defence is the main problem to be addressed by the summer recruitment campaign.
horlickfanclub
Full backs might be a useful addition. A fit Forster will make a difference.