CTFC vs Coventry Home Saturday 28th April 2018

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

theidlerich
CTFC vs Coventry Home Saturday 28th April 2018

Well I haven’t calmed down after the FGR farce; but a few days away celebrating the four days of this years English summer gazing on a beautiful beach and blue seas in North Cornwall has given me a slight respite! OTC the only one to score; even then a miserable 5, so no change in the table. So to our last home game against Coventry. The Sky blues will be going all out for a win, so should be easy for our lamentable defence. So will alter the scoring slightly for the score – 15 points if you are correct; 10 if within 1 goal of the overall total, 5 if within 2! So my shot is 1-3 to the Blues with Boyle to score a consolation goal. If we win I may renew my ST, if we lose I’ll wait until I see who’s retained!!!
bigdavejambo
if Coventry win tomorrow night they are guarenteed play-offs so may rest players on Saturday
vickeryc
bigdavejambo wrote:if Coventry win tomorrow night they are guarenteed play-offs so may rest players on Saturday
Can't they still be caught by Mansfield?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:
bigdavejambo wrote:if Coventry win tomorrow night they are guarenteed play-offs so may rest players on Saturday
Can't they still be caught by Mansfield?
Yes. Be six ahead of Mansfield with two games to go. Goal Difference currently identical.
cov_in_peace
There's no chance of us resting anyone.
Good evening all btw,Very much looking forward to saturday!!
Cov1
cov_in_peace wrote:
Indeed not...

I see there is pay on the day for home fans? Could be interesting. ;)
Shade
Cov1 wrote:
cov_in_peace wrote:
Indeed not...

As said in other threads, all welcome as long as nobody causes trouble or makes their allegiance obvious!
Cov1
To be fair I think if it involves Coventry reaching the Playoffs on Saturday then that is going to be a tall order. I’m glad I’m in the Away section because I’d certainly struggle.

Expecting a good lively atmosphere and a tough game.
Shade
Ah, celebrating when a goal goes in is fine as long as it's directed in the right way (at your team and not the home fans!), but consistent singing of Coventry songs or calling the ref a blind twat (which he inevitably will be) when he gives a free kick to Chelt might get a few of the old boys moaning at a steward :P

Not sure about a tough game...we've been pretty c!#p at home this calendar year but, when we do lose, we don't usually lose by more than 1 either! It's a bit of a lottery what you get at Whaddon Road!
Cov1
Shade wrote:Ah, celebrating when a goal goes in is fine as long as it's directed in the right way (at your team and not the home fans!), but consistent singing of Coventry songs or calling the ref a blind twat (which he inevitably will be) when he gives a free kick to Chelt might get a few of the old boys moaning at a steward :P

Not sure about a tough game...we've been pretty c!#p at home this calendar year but, when we do lose, we don't usually lose by more than 1 either! It's a bit of a lottery what you get at Whaddon Road!
Yeh I get all that.

This game has become bigger for us than it needed to be, in true Cov fashion, so I’m expecting the support to be a cross between tense and vociferous. Good crowd likely?
Shade
Hard to say. With our terrible performance at home last time out in the derby v Forest Green (something you can sympathise with, even if it was a long time ago now) and nothing to play for I can't see that many coming out. I guess Coventry coming to town and the last home game might stick an extra few hundred on the home fans, so 3100 + however many you bring, which will make our fairly small ground seem pretty full. Sometimes when we get 4500 I wonder where the other 2500 are supposed to fit when we get a sell out, but that's the magic of terracing I guess.
Cov1
Best pubs near the ground for Cov? Cba with the town centre.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Kemble, and the Sudeley Arms are closest. But by the time you are there you are only 5-10 mins walk from town pubs and 5-10 from the ground. There is a local community centre, Parklands, next to the Wymans Road entrance to the ground where away fans car parking is. Always a popular spot for away fans to drink and mingle/chat with home fans.
everyman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The Kemble, and the Sudeley Arms are closest. But by the time you are there you are only 5-10 mins walk from town pubs and 5-10 from the ground. There is a local community centre, Parklands, next to the Wymans Road entrance to the ground where away fans car parking is. Always a popular spot for away fans to drink and mingle/chat with home fans.
The Kemble is uncomfortably busy on big match days i wouldn`t recommend it to visitors,stay in town.
longmover
Cov1 wrote:Best pubs near the ground for Cov? Cba with the town centre.
The feathered fish on prestbury road is 5 mins from the ground and the nicest pub (closest to the stadium), the town centre has most of your generic 'town' pubs and thats (the town centre) only ten mins walk from WR. The Swan and The Sanford Park Ale house shouldn't be too busy prior to kick off
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cov1 wrote:
cov_in_peace wrote:
Indeed not...

More the merrier. Bring 2,000 in the home end and that’s a wage for young player or loan next season paid for. Cheers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
Cov1 wrote:Best pubs near the ground for Cov? Cba with the town centre.
The feathered fish on prestbury road is 5 mins from the ground and the nicest pub (closest to the stadium), the town centre has most of your generic 'town' pubs and thats (the town centre) only ten mins walk from WR. The Swan and The Sanford Park Ale house shouldn't be too busy prior to kick off
Some teams where ale fans do their research go to the Ale House. A few games where the room upstairs has been taken over by visiting fans.

Feathered fish also do a match day offer on pizza. Cotswold ‘the right end’ of town and will be quiet with 6X and IPA flowing. If you do go in, and you see it on the bar, I highly recommend a pint of the Cotswold Hotel (eponymous).

Best pubs (Jolly Brewmaster, Royal Union, Beehive) are all the wrong end and will add another 15 mins. If are staying all evening then definitely make the trip if you like ale and a proper pub.

There is a Brewhouse and Kitchen towards the closest end of town. You probably have a branch in Cov or nearby but of course each one brews its own so the ale will be different.
asl
You'll never find The Kemble, anyway. Stay in town.
Cov1
Thanks for the heads up guys.

Which is the pub that is most popular with away?
everyman
Cov1 wrote:Thanks for the heads up guys.

W`Spoons !
Shade
I'd have thought the closest that would be decent for away fans is the Sudeley Arms on Prestbury Road? I remember 6 or 7 years ago when we were playing Aldershot, of all teams, and they were lining the road outside the pub on both sides. Quite an intimidating atmosphere as I passed through, and they have got hardly any fans...
Ihearye
Has to be said there is some irresponsible nonsense posted on this thread. As much as we would love to mirror the rugby model of mixed crowds, bring a drink to your seat etc etc. The club does have a legal duty to keep fans segregated. Just in the same way they had a legal duty to remove tickets from online availability.
It's all very fine sitting on your keyboard saying bring as many as you want into the home areas, who knows, one day it may be possible. However to advocate or advise it, is just purely irresponsible. You have absolutely no idea who would read your advice and take you up on your kind offer. But no worries as it will not be you that carries the consequences if anything should go wrong. Like I said, fine to have a utopian rugby dream, but that is not where we are at currently
Shade
There's no reason why not if they behave themselves.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cov1 wrote:Thanks for the heads up guys.

Parklands Community Centre in Wymans Road, next to the ground.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Has to be said there is some irresponsible nonsense posted on this thread. As much as we would love to mirror the rugby model of mixed crowds, bring a drink to your seat etc etc. The club does have a legal duty to keep fans segregated. Just in the same way they had a legal duty to remove tickets from online availability.
It's all very fine sitting on your keyboard saying bring as many as you want into the home areas, who knows, one day it may be possible. However to advocate or advise it, is just purely irresponsible. You have absolutely no idea who would read your advice and take you up on your kind offer. But no worries as it will not be you that carries the consequences if anything should go wrong. Like I said, fine to have a utopian rugby dream, but that is not where we are at currently
If they don’t wear Cov colours and aren’t vocal the Club will never know. If they do then kick ‘em out and show we take the issue seriously (after taking their cash). Common sense pragmatism rather than utopian dream.
Ihearye
IF they behave themselves, indeed. I very much doubt those on here asking for good real ale pubs are part of the IF. As for the 'throw them out if it all kicks off' camp. By then it is too late. The football club has to envisage the worst that could happen and plan to avod that. Hence the segregation rules in place across the lands. Pragmatism has no place in it. The rules are there for a reason. Whether we like that or not is not the debate. It doesn't come into any decision. It is still an irresponsible stance. It hopefully will change in years to come, however at the minute it is the clubs duty to segregate and not wait until it kicks off before aplying that.
Cov1
Ihearye wrote:Has to be said there is some irresponsible nonsense posted on this thread. As much as we would love to mirror the rugby model of mixed crowds, bring a drink to your seat etc etc. The club does have a legal duty to keep fans segregated. Just in the same way they had a legal duty to remove tickets from online availability.
This has to be the wettest post I’ve read for a long time - as if fans would base their decision purely on what a Cheltenham fan says on here.

Football fans gain access to home sections every week, it’s been going on for years ffs. In my experience of Coventry, fans have done It many times but it’s Cheltenham not Leicester and our lot are unlikely to be there to cause trouble. The motive is to watch one of the most important games in years because the ticket allocation is wholly inadequate. Yes precautions will obviously be in place but give it a rest with the idealistic rhetoric.
Ihearye
You should have explained you can vouch for everyone from the very outset!! Would have saved all that effort
cov_in_peace
I can see a fair few hundred City in the home areas
Robin
I remember Tottenham away when we had lot of CTFC fans in the home areas if any Cov fans come in the home areas as I said before go in the Paddock/canteen next to the away fans so long as you behave you are unlikely to experience issues from home fans or stewards. Like every club we have a minority but it won't compare to big clubs like Coventry.

On another note I was told the club are hoping for 5000+ on Saturday so should be good atmosphere.
Robin
cov_in_peace wrote:I can see a fair few hundred City in the home areas
We had 4200 home fans the last game, I would imagine around 3500 Chelt fans this one plus what ever you bring.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:IF they behave themselves, indeed. I very much doubt those on here asking for good real ale pubs are part of the IF. As for the 'throw them out if it all kicks off' camp. By then it is too late. The football club has to envisage the worst that could happen and plan to avod that. Hence the segregation rules in place across the lands. Pragmatism has no place in it. The rules are there for a reason. Whether we like that or not is not the debate. It doesn't come into any decision. It is still an irresponsible stance. It hopefully will change in years to come, however at the minute it is the clubs duty to segregate and not wait until it kicks off before aplying that.
Assume you did your responsible duty and reported the Club for allowing hundreds of Leeds in the home end, and Forest and all the others who did it.
Robin
We need a larger away end that is the reality despite the doom mongers it's important when the new stand gets built.
everyman
Cov1 wrote:
cov_in_peace wrote:
Indeed not...

Your fans will be very obvious,the ones with big smiles during the match ?
Shade
Cov1 wrote: The motive is to watch one of the most important games in years because the ticket allocation is wholly inadequate.
Hey, it's not our fault you've fallen from grace and are visiting a stadium that usually gets around an average of 200-400 away fans, and as few as something like 20 on a Tuesday night v Morecambe...