Match day programmes.

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
In this digital age with find ourselves in does anyone think ‘time is up’ for the match day programme as its overpriced, not up to date and the club can’t make much from them.
Who buys them these days, people that never heard of broadband?.....the echo knew this and does publication once week now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Some, notably Hubert Parry, have been calling for an iPad edition of the programme to be made instead.

That way you could even have a subscription model as well as purchasing per issue. I would definitely purchase a programme to read on the train journey to Cheltenham but never buy one at the ground as I never have time to read before kick off and I consider it out of date and superseded once the game approaches.

Also, on days when I am already in Cheltenham then a programme on the iPad would be an ideal way of filling the void between the end of Football Focus and the time to leave for the match.

Shame we don’t have a fanzine.
leohoenig
Fanzines have died for the same reason that programmes are dying. It is not just Cheltenham that does not have a fanzine
Perhaps someone on here could start on on-line fanzine - by which I mean a single point of reference for several people to write articles, and cartoons, relevent to football in general and Cheltenham in particular.

As regards the programme, the EFL should drop the requirement to produce on - it then becomes a commercial decision by each club
they are time consuming to produce, and a lot of the information is elsewhere. I get it most weeks, but don't always read it.
An edition on kindle or some similar on-line device would allow sale on-line.

I am an advocate of what I call a "European" solution. That is a simpler to produce programme on lower quality paper with a low cover price. I also know of those who suggest a monthly magazine (which could then be sold in newagents as well as at the club), supplemented by selling team sheets at the game.

At £3 to buy something where you can predict most of the content in advance, and know anything interesting will appear on-line. Often before match day, programme sales will continue to decline
Shade
As you say, half of PB's matchday notes had been put on GlosLive by JP before Saturday's game so even less reason to buy it. Some still buy it regularly, of course, but I mainly see people getting it as a souvenir of their first game or at what is perceived to be a big game.

Interesting thought about someone starting an online fanzine...the trouble I guess would again be getting content interesting and unique enough when the whole world can post their thoughts on a forum such as this. I know my way around website design and I'd be potentially interested in creating something for next season if there would be enough people willing to contribute.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The website doesn’t have to be special.

There’s Only One F In Fulham sells a lot on match day as it’s cheaper and interesting (poor quality paper / print but funny and random content) and the website is shocking: http://www.toofif.co.uk/TOOFIF/index.html.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I never said it would be special but it doesn't have to be a boring white page with loads of plain text on it either - if it looks half-decent from the off then it's more likely to have people visit it regularly. Fulham have a fair few more fans than CTFC, I feel it would have to do a little bit more, similar to the argument about attractive football filling the stands. If there was any demand, which I doubt, I also have access to basic facilities to print out some cheap booklets that could be charged at 50p a time or something to cover costs. But as I say, I doubt there would be any/enough demand for that in this day and age.

Make it look at least ok, fill it with funny/interesting bits and bobs, real and fictional, loads of links to anything CTFC, photos and maybe cartoons if anyone is willing/able to draw stuff, maybe a corner for a comical look at the goings on in the rest of the division, a main update every few weeks with a few small updates in between.

I remember a fanzine from back in the early 90's (my school teacher used to occasionally leave his programme or fanzine on my desk for me when I got in on a Monday morning) and I quite enjoyed the p!##-taking of Rushden "Anne" Diamonds that it did. I think it was the Cheltenham fanzine of the time but he didn't only leave CTFC stuff so not certain.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The “dumbest posts from the RNF this week” feature would be the most popular.
Shade
:lol:

"The Stupid Things 'Supporters' Say"