Laurel and Hardy

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
Yet another two shocking goals conceded by our two centre backs. Between them how many goals have they been at fault for this season, it dosnt bear thinking about, and thats any combination we seem to put out and not just yesterdays pair, comedians all of them. A major hunt to find big strong centre backs who lead by example. Where are the no nonsense Freeman and Banks types
drgm
Agree Shev
Grimes is 27 years old and has no previous league experience. What made us think he could make the grade?
He's been poor all season
Horteng
Desperately need some experience..... A Steve Elliot type alongside Boyle next season
paperboy
Horteng wrote:Desperately need some experience..... A Steve Elliot type alongside Boyle next season
Spot on Horteng.
Fuller
drgm wrote:Agree Shev
Grimes is 27 years old and has no previous league experience. What made us think he could make the grade?
He's been poor all season
Couldn't agree more. Another odd decision by our leader.

Wouldn't be surprised if he offered him another contract though......
Benctfc
Anyone who went to the preseason games could see how this season was going to go. The Peterborough game in particular where we shipped 5 embarassing goals should have had the alarm bells ringing Grimes in particular that day was pathetic and you could tell straight away he would be a liability.

Boyle could do a job at this level but he has to have a Steve Elliott/Alan Bennett type experienced defender with him to help organise. The spine of the team next year needs to be made up of experience hopefully a CB,CM,CF. Once you have that experience then you can add loans and youth to the team. Hopefully GJ has finally seen the light and realises this if we are to compete anywhere near the top half next season.
Robin
Boyle is fine, Grimes and Taylor Moore on the other hand have been our biggest weaknesses all season. Let's hope these Liam Fontaine rumours turn out to be true and he joins next week.
Robin
That's true I forgot about Manny because he's been in the freezer since January. GJ does get some over the top criticism at times but four long term loans in the last two seasons, completely frozen out is a huge waste and completely unacceptable.
Red Duke
Two bad mistakes yesterday cost two goals. I thought that Matt Bower looked OK when he came on.
THECHOIRBOY
Completely agree with this.

The other important factor is the experienced centre back needs to be right footed. Whilst Grimes has made one too many mistakes it's often when he's on the right and gets tangled up when trying to clear with his left foot (when should use his right)

You can see the same with the second goal and Boyle doing exactly the same!
shevates
Im like ben2 i think boyle is poor as well he has made many mistakes which have led to goals this season. We need two strong centre backs with experience to go along with forster, and Bower should be the young 4th CB as he has yet to tried and tested at first team level
little mo
Evans releasing 13 at Posh. This includes Steven Taylor ex Newcastle centre back, don't get much more experienced than him.
horlickfanclub
A few on here have been saying all season that Grimes is in trouble when he plays right side but the Manager has reverted to this so many times.
longmover
Grime's needs an experienced player alongside him, yes he's made mistakes but he also had some very very good games and looked solid. He will be here next season.
Robin
When were these really good games? Assuming Mullins then I really can’t see why we would even consider keeping Grimes. Mullins, Boyle, Forster and you would hope Bower would all be ahead of him.
asl
I admit that I didn't see huge numbers of games, but I guess I must've been unlucky in that I only saw the ones he was rubbish in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:When were these really good games? Assuming Mullins then I really can’t see why we would even consider keeping Grimes. Mullins, Boyle, Forster and you would hope Bower would all be ahead of him.
Four CBs needed in the squad.
Robin
We may need five if we play three at the back as we have done often under GJ. Fact is Grimes would then be fifth choice and I'm sure we could find cheaper/better still.
Rulistening
No Grimes is a reason to renew your season tickets by itself ;)