POLL - GJ in or out

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

GJ IN OR OUT

Poll ended at 09 May 2018, 09:10

IN
69%
OUT
31%

Total votes: 48
Nesty
I just want to test the water and see if the feeling that the GJ out brigade is a minority of young fans or not
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
And instead see whether it is a minority of RNF users?
Si Robin
I voted out - I'm 33, a season ticket holder for 15 years and have been going to Whaddon Road since 1994.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:And instead see whether it is a minority of RNF users?
maybe so, for the record I voted IN
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I voted out - I'm 33, a season ticket holder for 15 years and have been going to Whaddon Road since 1994.
Same age as me but my first game was ‘97. Good effort!
East End Robin
Interesting that a poll on twitter has GJ out winning https://twitter.com/CTFC_Fans/status/990533546463891456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; maybe there is just a demographic difference between twitter and the nest?
drgm
I think the fire's gone out

Let's have a hungry young manager with a point to prove. Won't happen though.

Hardly missed a home game in 20 years but will pick and choose my games from now on
Nesty
East End Robin wrote:Interesting that a poll on twitter has GJ out winning https://twitter.com/CTFC_Fans/status/990533546463891456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; maybe there is just a demographic difference between twitter and the nest?
over 200 votes with 62% saying out.
Johnsons Red Army
IN!
Nesty
IN
OUT
Shake it all about
Shade
In for me. I think his recruitment this summer and the start of next season will tell us definitively whether he's still got it or not. I wouldn't tell him obf course, but give him until November to see how it's going (unless we have a God awful start to the season).
Rulistening
I voted out. I have no confidence in a man who plays everyone out of position to get "recruitment right". We've said this now for 2 years, nothing but respect for Gary for the work he has done for the club but its time for a change now, I think if we kept him we'd finish similar again which isn't a problem (no more conference!) but I want the club to show a little bit of ambition here. Why should we only settle for doing the bare minimum to stay up.

I don't think there's a "wrong" option here, but i would be a little bit disappointed if he stayed, Its just been so poor at home this season
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Rulistening wrote:I voted out. I have no confidence in a man who plays everyone out of position to get "recruitment right". We've said this now for 2 years, nothing but respect for Gary for the work he has done for the club but its time for a change now, I think if we kept him we'd finish similar again which isn't a problem (no more conference!) but I want the club to show a little bit of ambition here. Why should we only settle for doing the bare minimum to stay up.

I don't think there's a "wrong" option here, but i would be a little bit disappointed if he stayed, Its just been so poor at home this season
First one or two years back were about stabilisation after busting the budget and risking bankruptcy to get up. Gary has done that and in fact made a profit, with recruitment during the last three windows designed to keep us steady and improve the finances.

Gary has only had two summer windows, the one after relegation and last summer. The one after we got back is not relevant as the plan was always to give the Champions a chance so no signings to improve on them were planned. Instead that was successfully done in January.

The first summer window was obviously a success, and last summer with Forster, Mo, Nige, Dawson not at all bad. Grimes and Sellars not up to scratch and Graham yet to fully settle.

Due to the excellent financial management we should have more budget this summer, and one of Gary’s strengths is finding players and working his connections so I think it would be daft to disrupt things now.
Nesty
wise words, but I wonder if season ticket sales will match your optimism?

I am all for giving him another close season and hope we can achieve a better rounded squad and fewer square pegs and at least adequate cover for ALL positions
CTFC03
Voted out, very stale, boring and unambitious, he's lost his edge and we should act in the summer imho.
Robin
GJ very unambitious or the board of directors?
silverrobin
I voted IN but, only just.

I agree that GJ has done a tremendous job for the Club but, seems to have lost his ability to motivate players and get results consistently. Perhaps the close season may give him the rest he so clearly needs. I think he deserves 'one more crack at it' but, if we are anywhere near trouble in January; he should go.

On a slightly different topic; I am concerned at our reliance on 'loan players' meaning that we are needing to build a new squad at the beginning of every season. If those players don't 'hit the ground running' we are in trouble before the season has really started.
Robin
I think a large problem was that we were late concluding the squad for two years in a row now. This year our recruitment needs to be aggressive early as we will likely need to sign 11-12 players this summer assuming we want a squad of 24-25.
horlickfanclub
Out. Time for a change. Ancient season ticket holder but if i do renew it will be more of a donation than any backing for the current Manager or Chairmans stance on this issue.
Last edited by horlickfanclub on 01 May 2018, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I think a large problem was that we were late concluding the squad for two years in a row now. This year our recruitment needs to be aggressive early as we will likely need to sign 11-12 players this summer assuming we want a squad of 24-25.
Given the increased budget we should be better placed to do that.
horlickfanclub
The "budget" may be revised if season ticket sales fall
Robin
Agree Horlick but I doubt Season tickets will fall massively, we have about 1200 I think be surprised if they drop below 1000.
Johnsons Red Army
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:And instead see whether it is a minority of RNF users?
Minority confirmed based on current results.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interestingly these results can be interpreted as statistically significant. My analysis as follows:

The survey sample is 35.

I assume a fan base population of 3,000.

With a 66-34 split in votes, then with a 95% confidence level the margin of error (confidence interval) is plus or minus 15.6 percentage points.

Meaning, that the margin of error for In ranges from 50.4% to 81.6%, whilst the range for Out is from 18.4% to 49.6%.

So even allowing for margin for error In would still win. Meaning, in a population of 3,000 fans (ie a home crowd) we can be 95% certain that the majority would want Gary to stay.
horlickfanclub
Statistics have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The percentages shown here cannot or should not be applied to a 3000 group.The number voted is too small .It may represent a few dozen on this forum but the huge percentage who do not visit here contain 400-500 of our floaters who vote with their feet. Season ticket may be a better way of seeing how many have faith.
Johnsons Red Army
Season ticket sales, or lack thereof, could also indicate a lack of faith in the team, Board, ownership, etc. so not a fair measure either.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Statistics have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The percentages shown here cannot or should not be applied to a 3000 group.The number voted is too small .It may represent a few dozen on this forum but the huge percentage who do not visit here contain 400-500 of our floaters who vote with their feet. Season ticket may be a better way of seeing how many have faith.
Did you not read the post? I didn’t ‘apply percentages’ to the 3,000 group. I performed a test to see if the survey sample data were or were not representative of a 3,000 population. I was fully expecting the test to show that the the survey was not representative, with too small a sample and thus meaningless. I was surprised to see that the test said otherwise, to 95% confidence level.
Lord Elpuz
horlickfanclub wrote:Statistics have to be taken with a pinch of salt. The percentages shown here cannot or should not be applied to a 3000 group.The number voted is too small .It may represent a few dozen on this forum but the huge percentage who do not visit here contain 400-500 of our floaters who vote with their feet. Season ticket may be a better way of seeing how many have faith.
Not buying a season ticket would be a sure-fire way of thwarting Gary Johnson. It would also be a sure-fire way of thwarting any successor too. Such action will relegate the Club next season as it affects critical income to keep the Club going during the close season.

Our noisy neighbours will derive great satisfaction from CTFC’s demise at the hands of our own fans.
Robin
I must admit I was considering not renewing my season ticket largely I'm not convinced of the ambition and don't want to experience going to games not looking forward and hearing those trying to get the manager sacked. I've been encouraged by the noises since Crewe though with some decent players being linked and a new chairman coming in there is room for some optimism.
alwaysarobin
IN

http://www.collageninsport.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for your sports injury collagen
Nesty
mods

can you please delete this poll. cheers
asl
Nesty wrote:mods

can you please delete this poll. cheers

I've un-sticky'd it.
Nesty
cheers asl