Grimsby, FGR, Tranmere...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
I hate the NL play-offs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What it does show is how dross is being shifted from the EFL to Conference and quality coming the other way.

Next season will be interesting in the NL. The year before (Luton, Rovers, Grimsby and FGR) and the year we were down were peak-quality. In our season there was Grimsby, FGR and Tranmere competing below is. It took a couple of years but they are all back up now.

Impossible to predict who will do a Lincoln or Macclesfield but some of the bigger sides like Wrexham must be looking at the teams on the NL as a feeding frenzy.

A good time for Barnet and Chesterfield to go down as the weak and open league next season gives them a chance to come back up.
Robin
I watched the game and it was two very poor teams, think Tranmere will need to strengthen considerably but have to admire the effort playing for 89 minutes with ten men.
Malabus
Robin wrote:I watched the game and it was two very poor teams, think Tranmere will need to strengthen considerably but have to admire the effort playing for 89 minutes with ten men.
I was very disappointed with Braintree. Looked lazy in the final third, similar to us at times.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
Robin wrote:I watched the game and it was two very poor teams, think Tranmere will need to strengthen considerably but have to admire the effort playing for 89 minutes with ten men.
I was very disappointed with Braintree. Looked lazy in the final third, similar to us at times.

Braintree play Hampton & Richmond in the National League South play off final later today.
longmover
Boreham will never get a better chance than they did yesterday, I know they are part time but Tranmere were there for the taking. But as you say a really poor game from both sides. Leyton Orient now the last of the big clubs in the national, they have to be favourites for next season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:
Boreham will never get a better chance than they did yesterday, I know they are part time but Tranmere were there for the taking. But as you say a really poor game from both sides. Leyton Orient now the last of the big clubs in the national, they have to be favourites for next season.
Hard to see past Orient, Wrexham, Barnet and Chesterfield. Though you never know which club will do a Lincoln or Macclesfield - maybe the Shots. Fylde will no doubt thrown money at it.

I also expect BT coverage to become the Salford City show. The BBC will no doubt suddenly realise the Conference exists now Salford are in it.
longmover
also I noticed the review of the national season is now 2 hours long, I'm sure it was only 1/2 an hour when CTFC won it.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote:

Braintree play Hampton & Richmond in the National League South play off final later today.
Borehamwood...*

Malabus
longmover wrote:also I noticed the review of the national season is now 2 hours long, I'm sure it was only 1/2 an hour when CTFC won it.
Tranmere were mentioned on the national BBC news yesterday evening. We only got mentioned on the regional news.

Shade
longmover wrote:also I noticed the review of the national season is now 2 hours long, I'm sure it was only 1/2 an hour when CTFC won it.
It was. I still have it recorded on the Sky box, along with our live games and the highlight program the day we won the title. 1/2 an hour and were were hardly mentioned, really. They were much more play-off focussed, despite it supposedly being a season review.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
It was. I still have it recorded on the Sky box, along with our live games and the highlight program the day we won the title. 1/2 an hour and were were hardly mentioned, really. They were much more play-off focussed, despite it supposedly being a season review.
I guess our steamroller cruise to the title was such a foregone conclusion from January onwards the playoff battle between big club (Cod) and big money (FGR) vs pub sides and part timers was much more exciting come the end of the season.
Mike1953
Harrogate Town worth watching in Conference next season. A good team, which plays on an artificial
pitch in front of 3000 max. Plans to build more stands and improve facilities recently approved to accommodate 5000 fans. League 2 prospects in 5 years time, maybe? Danny Wright might fit in well there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mike1953 wrote:Harrogate Town worth watching in Conference next season. A good team, which plays on an artificial
pitch in front of 3000 max. Plans to build more stands and improve facilities recently approved to accommodate 5000 fans. League 2 prospects in 5 years time, maybe? Danny Wright might fit in well there.
An emerging rival to our ‘best spa town football club’ crown.

This is a rivalry. Any water given out for free on the East Coast Mainline is cheap tat.

Hope they come up to L2 or we get a Cup game there. Would seriously add to the architectural quality of the division.
vickeryc
Mike1953 wrote:Harrogate Town worth watching in Conference next season. A good team, which plays on an artificial

This is a rivalry. Any water given out for free on the East Coast Mainline is cheap tat.

Hope they come up to L2 or we get a Cup game there. Would seriously add to the architectural quality of the division.

It would help to offset architectural gems like Swindon :D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:

It would help to offset architectural gems like Swindon :D
Be thankful Luton are gone.
vickeryc
Haha. :lol: But we've still got Newport, Burslem and Grimsby/ Cleethorpes! :(
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:Haha. :lol: But we've still got Newport, Burslem and Grimsby/ Cleethorpes! :(
Don’t forget this beauty (which my mate who works in Stevenage claims is one of the better buildings in the town):