Humble pie swallowed - season ticket renewed

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Despite my complaints, protestations and vow not to renew, I have in fact just done so.

The positivity of the new chairman, and the confidence of the new experienced signings Mullins and Tozer suggests to me things are shaping up to be a better season.
Robin
Well done RCS, I am going to do the same in the coming days. Just hope we can all sustain this positivity now through to the season.
vickeryc
Good to hear you're both keeping the faith. I sense we have a decent season ahead and I renewed my ST last week too - not that any doubts ever crossed my mind!
Lord Elpuz
Bravo Gentlemen. The optimism is well founded. I renewed my season ticket application in the first week of availability.

Meanwhile our Noisy Neighbours are already bemoaning their lack of recruitment activity:

Re: Signing number 1???????
Postby tommyd » Thu May 24, 2018 1:12 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/tozer_ben/st" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 56096?s=12

Meanwhile Cheltenham make another good signing.
We're getting left behind.
Shade
Lord Elpuz wrote:Bravo Gentlemen. The optimism is well founded. I renewed my season ticket application in the first week of availability.

Meanwhile our Noisy Neighbours are already bemoaning their lack of recruitment activity:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tozer_ben/st" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 56096?s=12

Oh dear.

I shall also be renewing mine in the next week, although I never wasn't going to. Just letting it roll around so that I get an extra month to pay it off the credit card...
silverrobin
Renewing mine next week after having doubts following the Coventry debacle.

Are we trying to do a Stoke City:- every new player over 6 foot or has Gary shrunk during the last few weeks?
Robin
It's interesting because it seems GJ has realised we need more physical presence in this league, it was one of the reasons we got bullied last season in my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:It's interesting because it seems GJ has realised we need more physical presence in this league, it was one of the reasons we got bullied last season in my opinion.
Definitely. Evidenced how won most of our points in the more open footballing games whilst struggling against the more thuggish sides.
vickeryc
Totally agree. Although players like Sellars and Morrell are quick and skilful, if you have too many lightweight players in the team, it will inevitably lead to the ball being 'gifted' too often to physically taller and stronger opponents. As Robin rightly says, we regularly got bullied and, let's face it, there's minimal protection from referees except when someone breathes too near a goalkeeper. Although Morrell, in particular, fought hard and even won headers against taller opposition, the dice is always loaded against you in aerial battles. It goes some way towards explaining why we were so often ineffectual at set pieces last season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vickeryc wrote:Totally agree. Although players like Sellars and Morrell are quick and skilful, if you have too many lightweight players in the team, it will inevitably lead to the ball being 'gifted' too often to physically taller and stronger opponents. As Robin rightly says, we regularly got bullied and, let's face it, there's minimal protection from referees except when someone breathes too near a goalkeeper. Although Morrell, in particular, fought hard and even won headers against taller opposition, the dice is always loaded against you in aerial battles. It goes some way towards explaining why we were so often ineffectual at set pieces last season.
And of course this happens at all levels of the game. No surprise that Fulham’s epic run didn’t get going until they signed Mitrovic; if a defender tried to stop Fulham’s passing game too robustly then Mitro was liable to snap their neck. You need intimidating, big and strong players who cannot only fight their own battles but also those of weaker colleagues.
Ralph
Lord Elpuz wrote:Bravo Gentlemen. The optimism is well founded. I renewed my season ticket application in the first week of availability.

They have a "head of recruitment" there now that was some guy at Everton as well
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:

They have a "head of recruitment" there now that was some guy at Everton as well
Won’t be able to work the wires as well as P&G can.
silverrobin
Robin wrote:It's interesting because it seems GJ has realised we need more physical presence in this league, it was one of the reasons we got bullied last season in my opinion.

Agree totally Robin. The other problem last season was a lack of pace in our back line; not to mention the lack of understanding at times.
Ralph
When SC was boss, opposing mgrs said that WR was the land of the giants
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:When SC was boss, opposing mgrs said that WR was the land of the giants
Hoping for fortress Whaddon Road next season. Whoever visits must go home battle weary.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:When SC was boss, opposing mgrs said that WR was the land of the giants
Hoping for fortress Whaddon Road next season. Whoever visits must go home battle weary.
And with their tails between their legs.